HDDChecker is a basic disk diagnostic tool meant for testing the health of your PlayStation 2 console's Harddisk Drive unit.
It has the following features:
- Detects and lists the model, serial, firmware and S.M.A.R.T. status of HDD unit 0 (Primary Master).
- Performs a surface scan of the disk.
- Supports 48-bit LBA disks up to 2TB.
- Performs zero-filling of the disk with large blocks.
- With the surface scan, bad sectors found might be remappable. Based on my research, it appears that writing to a to-be-remapped sector (those hard-to-read sectors, as recorded by the disk) will kick off the actual sector remapping process. However, this has not been widely tested.
- Checks for damage to the APA scheme and PFS partitions.
- Defragments the HDD to reclaim space.*
*Does not support disks containing HDLoader games.
Changelog for v0.932:
- Relocated the version number.
- Fixed size calculation error in fsckFixDEntry() of fsck.
- Fixed cosmetic errors in disassembly of fsck.
- Updated to have the latest PS2SDK changes.
- Added Spanish and German localizations.
- Updated Portuguese localization.
- Do NOT use a disk larger than 2TB with this tool, as there are currently no safety locks to prevent a LBA wraparound from occurring!
- Do not use (usually old) disks that are not compliant with the ATA-4 specification. Like with every other PlayStation 2 software out there that supports the ATA interface, the disk is expected to support UDMA mode 4 and S.M.A.R.T.
- If the disk's S.M.A.R.T. status is indicated to be no good (NG status), the disk is about to fail and should be replaced.
- This tool may not be able to successfully remap sectors on all drives, as there isn't an official specification on remapping sectors within the ATA specification. If writing to a bad sector isn't sufficient to cause the disk to automatically remap it, the manufacturer's tools may have to be used instead.
- If a bad sector cannot be remapped, the disk is dying and should be replaced.
- As zeros will be written to the bad sector in an attempt to cause the disk to remap it, the data stored within the bad sector will be lost. Do not choose to remap the sector if it contains data that cannot be lost.
- The estimated time remaining counter is not accurate. I don't know why it's that bad, but it could be due to the overhead of the entire system and this program's single-threaded design. Since this program is targeted at power users, this isn't a major problem.
- HDLoader games cannot be defragmented, hence disks with HDLoader games cannot be defragmented.
Supported languages and their translation status:
Language Status Japanese Unassigned English Completed and built-in. French Unassigned Spanish ElPatas German LopoTRI Italian Unassigned Dutch Unassigned Portuguese Gledson999
....... SP193 .......
PS2 Playstation 2 HDD Checker v0.941
A basic disk diagnostic tool meant for testing the health of your PlayStation 2 consoles HDD -SP193