PS4 4.05 Exploit for PS4, Released by SpecterDev..

Discussion in 'PS4 News' started by STLcardsWS, Dec 27, 2017.

By STLcardsWS on Dec 27, 2017 at 12:56 AM
  1. 7,610
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

It appears there is a new release but it can be considered as an "old release" coming to the PS4 Soon, UPDATE: the exploit has been released . A couple months ago we seen Team FailOverflow release the breadcrumbs to exploit v4.05 firmware with the details reveled on there blog ": The First PS4 Kernel Exploit: Adieu" Since that time developer SpecterDev has been on a mission to put the pieces together for a workable jailbreak (not an easy task by any means) on the PS4 (4.05 firmware)., Over the course of the past several months SpecterDev has spent many hours of work to get this exploit stable state usable state for anyone interested. He has done amazing work for the PS4 development community is a vital step forward for the PS4. Now 1.76 is not the only window for the PS4 but also 4.05 provides a new window that is now easier to obtain, but will this be enough to launch the PS4 Homebrew Scene to a new level?

In my personal opinion i think we have another step or two before the PS4 Scene breaksout Personally I am not as excited about this exploit as some are from an end-user perspective, i do not think this will be a "golden firmware" just as i did not believe 1.76 ever was, both exploits have came to late in the PS3 life-cycle. Just as Team Fail0verflow themselves suggested in closing when they first detailed this 4.05 window and i quote "And so we say goodbye to a nice exploit." . As we can be extremely thankful for the contributions from Team fail0verflow we can also gather through comments and actions that they will not be the ones to release an exploit themselves or be the ones to give the fuel to something current, i could be wrong here but this is what I have gathered. So this exploit originating from them i would say does show there is a bit of steam knock off the exploit potential impact for launching a community, I think this is a great step forward but i do not think a 2nd PS4 is needed quite yet, i think there will be more to come as times passes, but that is your choice and i can only offer a different perspective then what others have been given, i would just point to my track record on being correct in many of these situation ;p . This is exciting on many levels but not sure its worth buying a 2nd PS4..?..?.. ​

ps4_fw19.1920.jpg

• DSBsgbNVwAItDbm.jpg

PS4 4.05 Kernel Exploit
      Summary
      In this project you will find a full implementation of the "namedobj" kernel exploit for the PlayStation 4 on 4.05. It will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. . This exploit does include a loader that listens for payloads on port 9020 and will execute them upon receival.

You can find fail0verflow's original write-up on the bug here, you can find my technical write-up which dives more into implementation specifics here (this is still in progress and will be published within the next few days).

Patches Included
      The following patches are made by default in the kernel ROP chain:
      1. Disable kernel write protection
      2. Allow RWX (read-write-execute) memory mapping
      3. Dynamic Resolving (sys_dynlib_dlsym) allowed from any process
      4. Custom system call #11 (kexec()) to execute arbitrary code in kernel mode
      5. Allow unprivileged users to call setuid(0) successfully. Works as a status check, doubles as a privilege escalation.

Notes

• This exploit is actually incredibly stable at around 95% in my tests. WebKit very rarely crashes and the same is true with kernel.
      • I've built in a patch so the kernel exploit will only run once on the system. You can still make additional patches via payloads.
      • A custom syscall is added (#11) to execute any RWX memory in kernel mode, this can be used to execute payloads that want to do fun things like jailbreaking and patching the kernel.
      • An SDK is not provided in this release, however a barebones one to get started with may be released at a later date.
      • I've released a sample payload here that will make the necessary patches to access the debug menu of the system via settings, jailbreaks, and escapes the sandbox.

Contributors

I was not alone in this exploit's development, and would like to thank those who helped me along the way below.

Great news for the PS4,this is a great step forward for development but i caution people getting too excited about this and running out to buy a new PS4.
    Personally I will get excited when we see a CURRENT FIRMWARE exploited, That will be the start to the Explosion of PS4 Homebrew IMO.

Update: via @Red: Much like ps3xploit I have hosted this files for others to use, in case anyone would like to mess around with this but doesnt feel like hosting the files themselves. http://redthetrainer.com/ps4/

Source(s):
    github.com/Cryptogenic
    twitter.com/SpecterDev / Reddit.com

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

Comments

Discussion in 'PS4 News' started by STLcardsWS, Dec 27, 2017.

1. 1986panzi1986
    2. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      1.76 - 2.0 (aka 4.05 has been released).
      Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    3. CYB3R18
      CYB3R18
      Good News.. Good stuff
    4. haznpapo
      haznpapo
      interesting news.my ps4 is on 4.05 but I think i'll wait on a detailed video.
      thank you all for a great Christmas present
    5. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      Via @evilsperm on twitter in response to this article. I guess he read the title and not the article The intention was not to disrespect the development (i think that is clear in the article) and i think i was respectful to the development aspect of it. However this is not the mack daddy exploit the PS4 needs or the exploit of the future, name a homebrew scene that was successful that originated on a PAST firmware, please provide an example.. Its 1.76 >>> v2.0.. Be it better then 1.76 but still has the same issue. ITS NOT AN EASY FIRMWARE TO OBTAIN thus will limited the potential severally

If that is disrespect by properly giving an assement then by all means I must be dis-respectful. For giving a clear assessment.

Where did i say this was easy?

Again name a Homebrew Scene that was a success that originated on a past firmware..... You can;t understand that point then i am sorry i am not the "asshat".. I am just someone who exercises common sense.
    6. TOM1211
      TOM1211
      I see a tweet from flat_z about 4.55 could work on Also? Hope so think I'm on 4.50 and then I took the hard drive out and haven't used it since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7. Red
      Red
      Much like ps3xploit I have hosted this files for others to use, in case anyone would like to mess around with this but doesnt feel like hosting the files themselves.

http://redthetrainer.com/ps4/
      swel, DeViL303, pinky and 4 others like this.
    8. pinky
      pinky
      alas, I'm on 4.07. damn...Dragon Quest theme. :-p if you want to host your own files, there's a tutorial on doing this in my wii u tutorials. I have one on mongoose, and I wrote up a short one on xampp. they're both easy to do. I've tested the ps4 one with the old 4.07 webkit exploit, no issues, but without a kernel exploit on that one, you're limited in what you can do.
      haznpapo and Red like this.
    9. Red
      Red
      I'll trade you for my 5.00 console :P
    10. Berion
      Berion
      Damn, and I'm on newest fw. Another few years of waiting.

But finally something newer than for 1.76 is released! Thanks for Your hard work devs, and wish luck all those who have strong will and not updating. :D Wish You PFS defeating (not bypassing ;p) and all user stuff possibility resigning, some kind of CFW and of course game backups mounting in near future.
    11. cots
      cots
      Maybe you should stick to just writing the news in these circumstances and not inserting your opinions?
    12. bitsbubba
      bitsbubba
      flatz posted on twitter about porting this to 4.55
      TOM1211, haznpapo and pinky like this.
    13. pinky
      pinky
      I own a metal slime ps4 which can go as high as $800 last time I checked. the person I bought it from marked the price down about $150 to $500-something. it was used, so the theme had been used. I even tried entering the theme's characters into the Japanese store, and it said it had been used. because of this, I wanted the Dragon Quest 30th Anniversary theme from the Japanese store. that's how I ended up on 4.07. all this for a very ugly theme. I immediately went back to the Final Fantasy VII theme. ;)
      Red likes this.
    14. LuanTeles
      LuanTeles
      The ps4 pro cames in which firmware? i'm going to buy one next week, so i will seek a specific ofw
    15. knowone
      knowone
      Done and done....
      Can't wait to play snes MarioKart when the emu's hit lol

Attached Files:

16. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      I think many are perfectly fine with my opinions. Not sure if you are involved in the PS3 scene, but if i would have kept opinions to myself as your suggesting. We would not of seen things like CobraUSB go open source. It was my opinions and my influence as a scene writer that made that open source. My opinions put the needed pressure on a team trying to launch a new product.

My opinions have done MANY GOOD THINGS FOR THE SCENE. I do not care if someone misread my comments out of context. Especially when its a guy who recently put mining scripts on his site and drained user's CPU for Cyrpto Mining. Yet this asshole is going to talk about Respect.

Also my opinions are valid, its just if people are willing to accept the facts. I would love for this to be that golden hack for the PS4, but i would lying if i said it was and i do not lie. I report the facts and the truth and sometimes i will offer an opinion and covering many projects and writing over 10k articles for this scene. I think i earned the right to place y opinions on a site we pay out of pocket and have no ads or revenue. Its your choice to read and agree or disagree.
      Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
      swel, Me_TheKing and jonnyjaeger like this.
    17. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      Still in same boat. Still same issues.
      RnD_Customz likes this.
    18. cots
      cots
      I don't mind reading your opinionated content, but others may find it not so professional. Possibly creating an editorial type post in addition to the news article would go over better.
    19. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      I am not too worried about it. :) I have always ran one the most professional & honest sites in the scene. I dont expect everything i write for everyone to agree and honestly i do not think there was nothing unprofessional.