PS3 [7x Update (Dec. 17)] HW Acceleration (RSX) Project Update by RenéRebe

Discussion in 'THE FEED (Submit/View News)' started by STLcardsWS, Nov 15, 2018.

By STLcardsWS on Nov 15, 2018 at 12:07 AM
  1. 7,735
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

7x UPDATE (December 17) - Now the 8th Video Released in last days / weeks
    (Original Article from Nov. 14) Is the PS3 a bit closer to gaining Hardware Acceleration (via RSX) in OtherOS (Linux) with a proper driver to enable the GPU chip? We are not there, but we may be getting closer to a reality. Earlier this year (back in April) we detailed some of the progress that the busy dev RenéRebe has made with unlocking the potential of the PlayStation 3's RSX chip and now today we have been greeted with a new video and what we can expect with this project as the developer starts to undertake the challenge of further unlocking one more component of the Ps3 hardware,. The developer has alot of videos on other intresting subjects in his diverse YouTube channel >>> (Bits and More) <<< many very informative video's..

rsx_ps3.png

• Size optimizing T2 Linux, e.g for the PS3, on flights thru Europe!

PS3: finally a small enough and (hopefully) working t2 Linux installer!

See Next Tab in article for all the details/video's from last month's progress

• Let's talk PS3 plans, test Nouveau and Intel i915 details

Update (11/15/2018) - Another New Video Released.

DarkMode testing: 1st new ppc64 t2/linux build on my PS3 in a decade!

Update (11/16/2018) - Third Video Released.

Latest T2/Linux Kernel: 4.19.2 running on the PS3 (plus a bit of "live coding" too)!

Update (11/18/2018) - Fourth Video Released.

T2 PPC64: Linux Proof of concept PS3 Installer Testing!

Update (11/22/2018) - Fifth Video Released.

Building a higher performance: 32-bit PPC64 T2/Linux system for the PS3!

Update (11/30/2018) - Sixth Video Released.

Coding a smaller T2/Linux installer: for the PS3 & other vintage systems!

Developer's YouTube Channel: youtube.com/.......
    Support the dev @: https://www.patreon.com/renerebe

Thanks to @Neal Cullum for the alert :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Naut, jacobsson, ZeroOne and 11 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'THE FEED (Submit/View News)' started by STLcardsWS, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Anthonyy817
      Anthonyy817
      I mentioned to him it might be a good idea to start a donation fund for this, so he will be more inclined to develop it further.

Imagine hardware accelerated PSX games, similar to how amazing they look on the Sega Dreamcast via the Bleem! commercial emulator.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
      jacobsson and Neal Cullum like this.
    2. sandungas
      sandungas
      He posted another video running a modern build of T2, pretty cool :)

And he mentioned is going to take a look at some of the patches used in petitboot that are problematic to run modern linux kernels (because some device remapping?), from my "linux rokie" point of view this looks like something nice too, the way i see it is never late to fix a problem if you find how to solve it at the root (and then remove the patches we was using that was useful for a time but maybe not needed anymore)

I only hope that the size of petitboot will not be bigger than the reserved area for it in dev_flash
      You know... for some unnofficial petitboots (used by gitbrew team and otherOS++) it was needed to resize the partitions of dev_flash because the unnofficial petitboots was bigger than officials (it contained some manteinance and development "extras"... and the unnofficial doesnt allows for compression as far i remember)
      Nothing bad to use big petitboots for development... is just by using a petitboot of the same size (or smaller) than the official everything is easyer
    3. psykosis
      psykosis
      Finally he works on it... Spent forever subscribed to the channel looking for ANYTHING that interested me until ps3 dev stuff. Hope to see some progress that makes the wait well worth it :)
    4. Vishera
      Vishera
      I am so glad to see this update :)
    5. Roxanne
      Roxanne
      There is a 3rd video released, which you can check in the main Article above.
    6. Ali888
      Ali888
      Seems like we have an upcoming PS4 emulator for PS3!! :D

(Just kidding :) )
    7. sandungas
      sandungas
      I just sent a message in other forum to summon r04drunner (mantainer of red ribbon PS3 linux) and ing_pereira (he was working in dynarec for PS3) advising them to take a read at this news here in the forum, and rené rebe youtube channel
      It seems they are not active since 2016 in the forum where i advised them, but well, i tryed anyway

Im wondering if eventually rené rebe is going to read this so i said them to write here if they have something interesting to collaborate

And im going to post some links from other people that could help
      http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-full-rsx-vram-io-access-exploit-by-alexaltea.9434/
      www.psx-place.com/threads/my-vertex-shader-document.20794/
      http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/User_talk:Ing_pereira

Dudes, we need your sword (and any other weapons at hand) :encouragement:
      [​IMG]
      Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    8. Anthonyy817
      Anthonyy817
      Ok folks, new video!

sandungas, STLcardsWS and Ali888 like this.
    9. Roxanne
      Roxanne
      I added the latest video to the main article and I will try to reach ReneRebe that he will read this Thread here.
      sandungas, Anthonyy817 and STLcardsWS like this.
    10. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      Also added recent comment and build link for experts..

A more polished build will be coming later (next week)
      nCadeRegal likes this.
    11. Roxanne
      Roxanne
      He saw this Thread and he feels glad that there is such a interest in his work but he explains that he is also a busy men which his YouTube Channel can confirm it. He recommends that if someone has some questions, that you can post your comments on his YouTube Channel right down below on each of his video he made but he also said that if he will get some access in "3D Acceleration", then he will be open to use this Forum as well for getting some collaboration and any help in general from you.
      ZeroOne, sandungas, jolek and 4 others like this.
    12. Neal Cullum
      Neal Cullum
      This is great. I hope this allows better emulation, maybe one or more other consoles to be emulated too.
      lord3490 and Anthonyy817 like this.
    13. Anthonyy817
      Anthonyy817
      I would love to see Saturn, N64 and Dreamcast emulation for sure. If it can already handle great software emulation of PS2 and PSP then Dreamcast and N64 should be a walk in the park. Saturn might be more problematic due to it's complex architecture, but emulation is getting better all the time. However, hardware accelerated PSX games are my biggest want now. No other console really has an emulator out yet than can really enhance the image quality of the PSX games. Well the Dreamcast has, Bleem! but it only handles 3 games, and then there is a project in the works now on the OG Xbox with accelerated PSX graphics. It looks quite nice. Imagine running the PSX games in HD with acceleration, would really clean up the image a ton.

http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=6298&sid=8eb693683403e7e673b79df34b0a1102
      Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
      Neal Cullum, sandungas and Ali888 like this.
    14. Killer Bunny
      Killer Bunny
      I know it is a dumb question but what will unlocking of this chip achieve?
    15. Anthonyy817
      Anthonyy817
      Homebrew with better graphics for one. Also, there could be a possibility to install Steam on the console and potentially run Linux games from it. Obviously nothing too demanding but it is still just speculation at this point.

Edit: Oh and also more open sourced PC ports could be done for the system, like a fully modable version of Doom 3, or other classic PC games. Pretty much any open sourced games could be ported over that have more advanced graphics.
      Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
      Ali888 likes this.
    16. Killer Bunny
      Killer Bunny
      Will this be available for super slim?
    17. Anthonyy817
      Anthonyy817
      Can the Super Slim be 100% CFW modded? If not, no.
      jacobsson likes this.
    18. Killer Bunny
      Killer Bunny
      Super slim is useless. It cannot run homebrew. Also it cannot run cfw. I wonder why people have super slim consoles.

P.S. I have a super slim too
      lord3490 and Neal Cullum like this.
    19. Anthonyy817
      Anthonyy817
      If you know this already then why did you ask? It is obviously only for CFW consoles lol.
      jacobsson, Neal Cullum and Ali888 like this.