Advice on PS3 ISOs on NTFS external? (mM & wMM)

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Coldheart2236, Nov 10, 2018.

1. 79
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 PSX-Place Supporter

Hi everyone. I have recently been ripping some of my original PS3 discs with multiMAN, deleting the update folder to save a bit extra space and then moving them to the GAMES folder on my FAT32 partition on my USB external drive (I also have a smaller NTFS partition, for larger files), playing them in JB folder format via webMAN MOD.

I was reading a thread the other day (I can't remember which one it was, however) where a few users were talking about the benefits of ISO over JB folder, insofar as ISO is a single file and so can be read faster and more efficiently for the system and for faster load speeds in game.

I was thinking about using the NTFS partition to store ISOs of some PS3 games I've ripped from my collection. What is the best approach to make them into ISO format? I know I can do it via multiMAN instead of copying in folder format, however that will include the folder with the obselete PS3UPDAT file in. I know it's only ~200MB per game, but I'd still rather safe the space than have it be taken up needlessly.

I could plug the USB drive in and use ImgBurn on my PC and then move the ISOs to the PS3ISO folder (I think) on the root of NTFS drive/partition. That way, I'd be able to remove the update folder before building the ISO, but I thought I'd seek some advice here as I saw this post by @bguerville while searching the forum for information just earlier about using ISOs.
    Short version: What is the best - or recommended - way to get a working, mountable ISO of an original PS3 disc for use with webMAN MOD with an NTFS drive? Is it worth doing for the access speeds and increased internal efficiency, or are JB folders on ? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated :)

Edit to add: I do not have access to a BD drive for my PC; only DVD, so I cannot rip the discs directly to my PC.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. 7,421
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Iso on ntfs is better in most cases for PS3 games, best compatibility for games, full support of psnpatch, no fat32 restrictions, better performance & less fragmentation.
    And you can still keep a fat32 partition on your hdd for any other usage requiring it, imho there is no downside especially now that ntfs browsing is also supported by all managers.

Regarding conversion.

1. If you have ps3 discs but you don't have access to a ps3 disc compatible BD reader drive then the problem is settled, you should use a ps3 backup manager like Irisman which relies on a ps3 build of makeps3iso.
    2. If you have legacy JB folder games, you can use a Windows build of makeps3iso or genps3iso on PC, either command line builds or using a GUI from the ps3tools by aldostools or PS3 ISO Tools by Rudi Rastelli. pink1 is also working on a new GUI tool if you are interested.
    Remember that you will need original game files only, some patched files won't do & you should use ird file checks before making an iso if you are not sure about the game files. If you use command line tools, one of the official genps3iso 2.x has ird check already integrated, you just need to download the correct ird for your game from the ird database website.
    I also suggest that you search for threads about makeps3iso/PS3 ISO Tools & do some reading. You should quickly find there answers to questions that may arise.

T.A.U likes this.
  3. 79
    Coldheart2236

Thank you very much for your thorough and informative response. I will look into those options you've provided and find a solution through that. I will only be using original files from the genuine, original game discs, so I will not have to worry about an unknown, potentially unreliable source for the game files, but thank you for the advice in that regard also. Your help is very much appreciated :)

Update: I used PS3 ISO TOOLS v2.2 by Rudi Rastelli (I searched makeps3iso and it was one of the first results returned) to convert the JB folders into ISO format, and of the 5 games I have already converted, they all work flawlessly from my NTFS partition via webMAN.
    Thank you again for your assistance.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 12:19 PM
    bguerville likes this.
  4. 2,764
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

What i do is to make a backup with irisman in JB format
    Then i move the files to PC to take a look at the game files, first thing i do is an IRD check (with an app that allows me to store the IRD check log, dont remember the name right now)
    This first IRD check should be perfect, if is not is because the disc was scratched/dirty or the files was corrupted when transfering them to PC (either by FTP or USB), or the USB or PC hdd have problems (so when you copyed the files to transfer them was corrupted)

Ok, after this is made im sure everything is under control :)
    Then i remove the PS3UPDAT.PUP folder
    Also, i take a look to see if there is some files that can be removed from the game (usually audio files for languages i dont even understand), and also if there is some "extras" in the game that i dont care
    As example, the videos of "how the game was made" that are usually unlocked after you complete the game... or the video that appears only in the "press select button" presentation screen... or... you know the kind of multimedia files that are not used "ingame" (so by removing them the game eperience is exactly the same because im not "damaging" the game experience)

And when doing this "ripping" process sometimes happens to me that i identify a file that i know for sure i dont need it so it could be removed (or replaced by a dummy)... but im not sure if the game is going to work normally after removing/replacing it... so i modify the files that are still in the PS3 by FTP
    Lets say... imagine the game have a folder with files named english.aud russian.aud french.aud ... so i know for sure i dont need russian.aud and french.aud ... so right click in PC folder ---> create "New Text File.txt" then rename it to russian.aud and replace the original with the dummy
    This usually works because the games could make a check when booting for the presence of the file (or the gamedata installation made when the game boots for first time does something related with the file you are replacing), so the file should be there but this is the kind of thing needed to test if the game works fine in the PS3 (before building the ISO)... so i modify the game in the PS3, then i boot it and play a bit to see everything is working normally (in the worst scenarios is needed to play the first level/chapter of the game completly to see if the cutscenes in between chapters plays and sounds normally)
    Also, for every big modification you need to delete the "gamedata" installation and the "savedata" files generated by the game... then boot the game to see if everything works normally (gamedata installation is made normaly and savegames are generated normally)

After all that adventure (for some games is fast either because there is nothing to "rip" or because is very easy to "rip", in others it could take lot of time)... i make another IRD check
    In this IRD check every file modifyed by me shows an error... but this is exactly what i expected to happen, so it serves me as a verification where i can see how many files i have "butchered"
    Then i store the log of this IRD check in .txt format just incase at some point (while playing) i find that i did some mistake... so by looking at the IRD log (that tells me the list of files modifyed by me) i can imagine what i did wrong

Then i make an ISO with rudi rastelli PS3 ISO TOOLS (by choosing the option makeps3iso.exe)
    Then i store the files with names like this:
    [BLES12345] Game Name [8.3 RIP].iso
    [BLES12345] Game Name [8.3 IRD].log

*The [8.3 RIP] in the name means "RIP"= is ripped by me (or "ORI"= not ripped), and the "8.3" is the final size

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    T.A.U, Coldheart2236 and bguerville like this.
  5. 79
    Coldheart2236

That is a very handy and efficient system of ripping your PS3 games. I may use some of those hints myself in the future, but for now I've only removed the PS3_UPDATE folder from each game, saving at least 200MB each time. Not very adventurous like yourself, but it's a start :)

I do have a slight annoying issue that I can't seem to solve, though. For one of the games I ripped (Splinter Cell: Blacklist), I went and edited the PARAM.SFO with ps3tools to remove a region tag from the title. The original disc has [CH] at the end, which apparently is Switzerland. I bought the game used in the UK, so it's a little strange as for SC: Blacklist I believe it should be [EU] for the UK. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'm wanting to remove the [CH] from when I mount the ISO in webMAN. It reads in the game list without the [CH] at the end, but when I mount it it shows up. It's more annoying than anything else, but I can't understand why it won't remove it.
    1. Edited the PARAM.SFO using ps3tools on my PC. Edited the title and simply removed the [CH] at the end.
    2. Built the ISO using PS3 ISO Tools
    3. Copied the modified PARAM.SFO (renamed to the newly built ISO title) and ICON0.PNG (also renamed) to /dev_hdd0/tmp/wmtmp to show the game icon before having to mount it, as per the Tips tab on PS3 ISO Tools on this site.
    4. Plug in external HDD to PS3, refresh XML in webMAN and restart. Mount SC: Blacklist from webMAN (does not have the [CH] appended in the webMAN Games PS3 folder before mounting)
    5. Game mounts and still shows the [CH] at the end even though I modified the file in JB folder before building the ISO.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Like I said, it's not a problem as such, just slightly annoying as I want to remove the region tag for neatness sake. :)

6. 2,764
    sandungas

I gues you are modifying it for a different language than the one you are using on XMB
    The stuff displayed on screen before you boot the game is http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Content_Information_Files
    And is dependant of the language, as example ICON0_19.PNG is only used if you have the PS3 language settings configured to turkish
    Most of the games doesnt have specific icons for every language, and following this example, if you have the PS3 in turkish but the game doesnt have a ICON0_19.PNG then is used the ICON0.PNG because is the default (and is mandatory to exist)
    You can see all the language codes here http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Languages

For some stuff inside PARAM.SFO it works in the same way, what you want to change is the TITLE ... but this TITLE is the default used as a fallback (when there is no title specific for your language)
    The titles for other languages are as example... TITLE_19 (for turkish)
    You can see it here, there are other stuff inside PARAM.SFO dependant of languages, are the ones that has been named with an "xx" at the end (where xx replaces a number that represents the language code)
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PARAM.SFO#TITLE

So, well... there are 2 ways to achieve what you want, by modifying only the title for the language you are using in your PS3 (TITLE_18 for english UK i guess?) incase it exists in the PARAM.SFO ... or you can add it ... or you can remove all the others and keep only the default TITLE (this way the game will use always the same, even if you change the language settings in your PS3)

Edit:
    Is because backup managers like multiman/irisman/managunz only loads the default TITLE (from inside the PARAM.SFO), but when you return to XMB the XMB reads the correct TITLE_18 for "english UK" (because you have the PS3 configured like this, right ?)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 3:56 PM
    T.A.U likes this.
  7. 7,421
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Have you replaced the param.sfo in the /dev_hdd0/game folder after installing the game?
    If so, you will need to rebuild the database for the data to be fully taken into consideration by the system. You can use the link in wMM setup page to launch a dB rebuild process or boot into recovery.

8. 79
    Coldheart2236

Thank you very much for the links. It makes so much sense when looking into how it works internally, yet it just didn't occur to me. Something interesting, however: when I opened the Title ID menu in the editor, it shows this: screenshot.

To confirm, under System Settings I definitely have English (United Kingdom) as my System Language. [CH] appears not only for 18 but for all localised languages available for the game TITLE_00-19 and the only one it doesn't is the default TITLE which I edited. I wonder why it insists on 10 or CH, Chinese (Traditional) for every language. I can't imagine any reason why it would.

Anyway, I extracted the ISO with the modified PARAM.SFO file and edited the TITLE_18 to remove the localised language code (which should read GB not CH). I left all of the other TITLE_xx the same to see if it work by just changing the title for my system language, and it did :) Thanks again for the help. I appreciate the time and effort on your part that really shows in the quality of your posts.

But with this small issue, it wasn't a case of the game not working but just annoying but now you've cleared it up it makes more sense. However... I'm still puzzled as to why:
    1. The game thinks my system language is code 10 when it is code 18 and always has been.
    2. Every TITLE_xx has the same assigned localised language

Could it be an issue with the game disc, do you think? Not as in it's damaged, but like a mistake or an oversight or something like that?

9. 79
    Coldheart2236

No, the only PARAM.SFO I changed (removed old one after modifying and renaming the same as my ISO) was in dev_hdd0/tmp/wmtmp for webMAN, which would have been updated by the new ISO after mounting in webMAN anyway, I believe. It seems to work now, in any case. I haven't modified anything in the installation; just PARAM.SFO within the ISO itself for the title shown next to the BD icon when the game is mounted.

10. 2,764
    sandungas

The game doesnt thinks your system is language code 10
    I guess they published the game like that with the [CH] at the end of the title for all languages, is weird and i guess was a mistake... or maybe the [CH] doesnt means chinese (it could be an special edition or something like that)

11. 2,764
    sandungas

12. 79
    Coldheart2236

Thanks for that link, I'm sure it will come in useful to have a library of checksums for each game to cross-reference.

As for the MD5 of PARAM.SFO, I am getting a different hash than 97ecad8255d99f138c64af0d8edd8dfe but I think that will be because I edited TITLE and TITLE_18 of the file and so it's not the original file anymore.

13. 2,764
    sandungas

Yes, but if you edit the TITLE and TITLE_18 back to the original names (with the [CH] at the end) the MD5 should match... unless you made other changes

But no need to do it at this point, it was just an example to show you how to check if a game file has been modifyed or went corrupted
    In your case you had doubts about why the PARAM.SFO had that weird [CH] at the ending of the game titles, and me too because looks like a mistake made by the game developers

Anyway, you did choose the worst game to see how this works, because all the titles for all languages of this game are the same, and all them have that weird [CH] at the end... this is not usual

Take a look at other games and you will understand it better, there are lot of games where the titles are translated either completly or partially
    As example, the "prince of persia the sands of time"... the first part of the sentence (prince of persia) is not translated because is like a brand... but the other part (the sands of time) is translated fully

14. 79
    Coldheart2236

Yeah, I understand what you mean. It was late last night when I posted, and so didn't edit the file back to its original state or check the original like I intended to. However, I have done it today and I can confirm that the original PARAM.SFO from the SC: Blacklist BD I have does indeed have the MD5 of 97ecad8255d99f138c64af0d8edd8dfe so your point is correct: it must be an error on all the published discs to read every Title ID as [CH] appended. I don't think it denotes a special edition, either; as far as I know the special edition included DLC codes which had to be redeemed on PS Store (so not included on the BD itself) and since I bought it used they were most likely already redeemed. Then again, it could be and I'm just unaware of it. I appreciate your meaning though; IRD files are useful for checking the integrity of files when ripped from disc.

So, at the end of it all, I have learned about editing PARAM.SFO files, the usefulness of IRD files, the language codes on PS3 as well as Content Information Files. Blacklist as you say is a bad example, but at least I was able to 'fix' the issue. I just didn't like the [CH] being displayed but that led me to learn about why it did and how to get rid of it if I encounter similar issues with other games in the future. Thanks again for your time and input on the matter; it is much appreciated. :)

sandungas likes this.