PS3 An Intro to CFW & PS3 Homebrew (WIP Thread)

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by STLcardsWS, Nov 24, 2017.

1. 6,318
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

About CFW Types & Payloads:
    ----------------------------------------------
    • What is a STANDARD CFW?
      • This firmware contains the "normal set" of CFW patches for Homebrew & Backups Support. (Mamba can be installed for additional features (See MAMBA below).
      • CEX (RETAIL) BASED FW
    • What is a Cobra CFW?
      • COBRA CFW is based of the old CobraUSB (by Team Cobra) several years ago the device's source code was released and Cobra had some great exclusive features that has been built upon by the community. Essentially COBRA is a special payload and v7.00 refers to the OPEN SOURCE version freed from the Cobra USB Dongle. To learn more about COBRA and its features please visit this thread in our forums.
      • CEX (RETAIL) BASED FW
    • What is a REBUG REX CFW?
      • This is a hybrid firmware of both Retail (CEX) and Debug (DEX) with all the added CFW goodies, this can be a very advance firmware but also can be one of the simplest. To keep it simple you do not install the REBUG TOOLBOX Addon, essential without the firmware will operate as STANDARD CFW, with the toolbox installed and then its options toogled you can turn on and off Cobra and many features. The official site for rebug CFW is www.rebug.me
      • HYBRID - REX (RETAIL / DEBUG ) BASED FW
    • What is a NoBD CFW?
      • A NoBD firmware is for BROKEN PS3 Consoles, when you have a broken BD / Logic Board one of the symptoms is unable to launch games or apps from the XMB, you can throughout the XMB and menus but accessing things your PS3 won't allow. A normal PS3 on OFW would be considered broke and unusable. However CFW developer's have disabled the BluRay Drive Completely with this type of firmware and thus are then able to boot games (from HDD) and any items from the XMB once again.
    • What is a DUALBOOT Firmware
      • This is a SLIGHTLY modified OFW Firmware that will act and operate exactly same as OFW, the ONLY difference from OFW is that allows for a CFW installation, so this can be useful for playing you disc games on PSN without risk of a ban and then when you want to return to a CFW you are then allowed to install it, where as OFW you would be shit out of luck. Only useful for existing CFW users.
    • What is MAMBA (payload)?
      • MAMBA is not a CFW type but rather is a payload that can be added to a Standard CFW to give many Cobra type features. Cobra CFW has the plugin support, ISO Support, & more ready as soon as you install the CFW, MAMBA needs an additional app to install its features and requires a bit of setup (but not much). You can download latest version here with additional details about the release in this thread.

Essential Homebrew Utilities(Apps that run on the PS3)
    • PSNpatch or SEN Enabler (either one is essential if you are using CFW on PSN, both apps have some of the same features and protections and also differ in approach and also features)
    • A Manager, the good news here plenty of excellent options in app or plugin: (apps multiMAN, IRISMAN, manaGunZ,) or (plugins: webMAN MOD / sMAN ). Take a loot at them all, but essentials like FTP Support, Internal File Manager, Backup Support and each offers a ton of useful features, all great options here.

Essential Homebrew Tools (PC Tools)
    • This collection is a must have IMO PS3 Tools Collection by @aldostools (Contains over 50 PC tools and utilities of PS3 CFW user's (Note: Some A/V Scanners will read a false positive, but the collection has been deemed safe for years by the community ). There are also additional PS3 Tools in our PS3 Resource (Download) Section >>> LINK

Popular PS3 Homebrew.?
    • Movian - Who needs the restrictive onboard PS3 media player, Movian is a homebrew media center and capable of playing many video and audio codecs/formats
    • RetroArch - Retro Emulation -- Explore the possibilities from consoles of the past that are emulated with this emulator. (some of the newer version do have annoying bugs in the UI at times, so we suggest going with an older version like found here at brewology,)

Early version of this list more to add but this is the basic's​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2017
  2. 6,318
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Still a WIP, but a bit of a starter for new CFW user's, PLEASE PLEASE anyone reply with additions ..

Yugonibblit likes this.
  3. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

it would be awesome if someone does an plugin tutorial,and how to go from webman to sman.

4. 6,318
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

If using REBUG Cobra, THE CFW has the best docs by far for its feature's BTW:

https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-81-2-cobra-7-5-toolbox-2-02-12-jan-10th-2017/

. but even using a cobra CFW (other then rebug) the basics of plugin loading apply and info about cobra in general.. Now with MAMBA its a bit different which that info can be obtained here http://www.psx-place.com/threads/mamba-loader-autoloader.1567/

Yugonibblit likes this.
  5. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

thanks man,but as always this docs aren't noob friendly.there's couple of tut's on yt but even them aren't exactly noob friendly,always missing few steps like the beggining,explanation etc.

6. 179
    lord3490

lord3490 Member

IT support
    Agreed, I read the rebug docs many times and still don't understand all of it.
    But there are so many features and it's always hard to describe all of them noon friendly, especially since not all features are meant to be used by noobs ;)

7. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

sMan should be noob friendly,al all launchers/managers.

8. 6,005
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

I disagree with you.

sMan is Noob friendly.
    The instructions to install it on a CFW comprise 3 or 4 steps. Maybe you should start by reading them...

And Rebug is an advanced CFW which is not meant for noobs but for modders & devs.

Yugonibblit, ricardo and STLcardsWS like this.
  9. 6,318
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

I do like to suggest noobs use REBUG (but not the REBUG TOOLBOX - Addon at first) until they understand the scene, its a Standard CFW essentially. I think for the people who actually read its a good thing to be on, but again if people read

Yugonibblit and DeViL303 like this.
  10. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

i said that there's no noob frendly sMan/plugins tutorial,here and elsewhere on the net.there's one yt tut that's not noob friendly and only shows configuring it,not installing it.

11. 6,005
    bguerville

And am asking you how much more noob friendly can the instructions be?
    Pre-requisite:
    COBRA cfw order Cobra enabled on Rebug.
    1. Copy the sman sprx file on internal hdd as/dev_hdd0/plugins/sman.sprx
    2. Create or edit the file /dev_hdd0/boot_plugins.txt.
    Add the path /dev_hdd0/plugins/sman.sprx in it.
    3. Reboot.

Do you really need a tutorial for that?

Yugonibblit likes this.
  12. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

even that is not enough,you need to cover scenarios with webman as separate instalation and enabled integrated webman and conflicts of the sMan and webman if both enabled.

and there's omitting lines in boot_plugins.txt with #.

i would do it but as you can see,my english is very poor.i only can do it on south slavic languages but i think there's little demand for that.

13. 6,005
    bguerville

There is absolutely nothing else to explain except that sMan is not not compatible with webman. So in one word, don't install them both at the same time... Why would you ever want to use both anyway?

Yugonibblit likes this.
  14. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

i won't,that's the part of being 'noob friendly' i know it's frustrating that you can't assume anything when trying to explain and/or write anything 'noob friendly' but that's how it is.

just like people now are softbricking their ps3's because one big warning that new exploit is only for ofw 4.82 isn't enough.

15. 6,318
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

NOTICE:
    fixed ps3 tool collection link

Yugonibblit likes this.
  16. 51
    joe7dust

joe7dust Member

I'm on 4.82 cobra and using multiman 4.81 to play backups. I'm new to this, but from what I understand I need to wait for the 4.82 rebug to "safely" play online? I heard that the advantage of rebug is being able to alter/spoof various things for online play, is that right?

I already hit multiplayer on Black Ops in Cobra 4.82 and it seemed to work, but I didn't sign up for a Sony Entertainment account. Wonder if I'm flagged now...

17. 1
    Jaykay

Jaykay New Member

The PS3 Tool Collection spot doesn't mention what it includes just says in the link
    "Additional details coming"
    And not been updated since August, it would be great if it just had atleast a list of what it includes

Also I recommend people use Rebug CFW if you intend to play PS2 games it's the most simplest best way to play on it. Ferrox requires a really roundabout method to play PS2 which involves doing a painful process to be able to "mount" the ISOs in a PS2 Classic emulator every time you want to play, it sucks. Rebug allows you to install each ISO on your PS3's HDD once with Multiman and then freely "mount" it in seconds with webman to make the PS3 recognize it as a PS2 disc whenever you want to play it, it's painless.

18. 6,481
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

playing online with black ops is a bad idea. a lot of people have been banned for playing that game online while on cfw. its eboot (main executable) scans for certain folders on the internal hdd to know if you're on cfw. that information is likely relayed to sony.

Yugonibblit and ricardo like this.
  19. 51
    joe7dust

joe7dust Member

Played BO series with cfw on xb 360 for years never had that problem. :)

20. 1,029
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I guess it could be added the rebug toolbox as standalone (with some warning about the fact that could be dangerous), since it went open source and works in other firmwares
    For the kind of thing "you should do" after you install a CFW for first time, like QA flag, dump flash, extract EID key, etc...

Edit:
    In the section where is explained what is rebug CFW... mention the toolbox with a "see below"
    And then at bottom together with other apps, a short explain of rebug toolbox (with the warning, QA flag, dump flash, EID key, etc..)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Yugonibblit likes this.