Can't use PS2_GXEMU when running PS2 classics

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by jacobsson, Nov 5, 2018.

1. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

Wow Aldo, I used your tools so many times!
    I think it might have been unclear of what I try to do, sorry about that. My goal is run PS2 games from XMB while using GXEMU (not NETEMU) in order to keep USB support during PS2 emulation.

Mounting ISOs via webman uses GXEMU = USB works perfectly!
    Converting to PS2 Classics uses NETEMU = no USB support

1. Is there any chance I could do something similar to emu=ps2_gxemu.self for PS2 Classics?
    or
    2. Maybe there is a possibility to make your lastGame Customizer work in order to run PS2 ISOs on REBUG 4.82.2?

Thanks for replying!

2. 2,273
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Maybe you should try creating a custom PKG using webMAN URL Launcher.
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/tree/master/_Projects_/wm_url_launcher

You need to edit the file launch.txt with the path of the ISO or the url/wMM command that you want to call
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMA...ojects_/wm_url_launcher/pkg/USRDIR/launch.txt

Also you need to edit the title id of PARAM.SFO to avoid conflict with PKGLAUNCH.
    I think it is not required, but you may need to resign the npdrm EBOOT.BIN with the proper content ID too.

BTW ?emu=ps2_gxemu.self does not exist in wMM because that is the default emu used on semi-B/W consoles when you mount a PS2 ISO without the ?emu= .parameter.

STLcardsWS likes this.
  3. 2,764
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I think the explain of why is not posible is because webman/cobra doesnt interferes when you boot a PS2 classic game
    Lets say... the way how a PS2 classic game boots in a cfw is exactly the same than in ofw

When you boot an ISO (in a cfw with cobra) the responsible of "mounting" it is cobra, and what cobra does in your PS3 model is to "fake" a virtual disc inserted in the drive
    So technically the PS3 thinks there is a disc inserted in the drive, this is why in your partially-backward-compatible PS3 model cobra is using ps2_gxemu.self

So well... if your goal is to have USB support inside the PS2 emulators you need to use ps2_gxemu.self and forget about the "PS2 classics" game format
    Webman works as a proxy that passes the info about the ISO to cobra, multiman irisman and managunz can do this too
    Additionally irisman and managunz have an optional replacement of cobra named "mamba" (used when you run this backup managers in a cfw without cobra, or with cobra disabled)

*The "create shorcut PKG" in managunz is only supported for PS3 games and works like what you wanted, and i guess additionally can be combined with other boot options like "direct boot" (not sure though) to bypass the XMB and enter directly in the game after pressing the "shorcut PKG" icon
    This feature appears in the managunz "to do" list for PS1, PS2, and PSP games, so zar considered is important enought to be implemented at some point in the next managunz versions... is just there is not an estimate time to implement it, but the fact is in the managunz "todo" list means the story has not finished yet :)

4. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

That makes a lot of sense, thank you so much for the detailed explanation!
    I guess my only shot now (besides waiting for a future Managunz) is to try the 'webMAN URL Launcher' proposed by @aldostools above.

I'll report back to you guys!

5. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

@aldostools
    Test making webMAN URL Launcher for single PS2 ISOs:

1. Edit launch.txt to point at ISO, eg: /dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA).iso

2. Edit PARAM.SFO to contain PS2 game content ID (to avoid conflicts with PKGLAUNCH):
    \wm_url_launcher\pkg\PARAM.SFO ?
    (both)?
    \wm_url_launcher\pkg\PS3_GAME\PARAM.SFO ?
    3. (skipped for now) Resign EBOOT.BIN content ID

4. Build PKG using CREATE_PKG.bat

Install PKG on PS3​
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RESULT
    I installing and running my PKG mounts the game as a disc in below Webman games :chewie:
    It still needs to be started manually from the icon though.

Any idea how make it autostart as regular ISOs does from webman?
    Maybe it lacks the delay fix in 1.45.00 somehow?
    • Fixed auto-play disc too short wait

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  6. 2,273
    aldostools

Try adding the tag "[auto]" (in lower case) to the file name of the PS2 ISO or try enabling the Auto-Play option in /setup.ps3

BTW the auto-play option is not perfect... L2+START can be used for fast game launch when the auto-play fails ;)

7. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

Unfortunately I have [auto] in the ISO file name like this:
    and I'm having "Auto-play" enabled in webman settings and auto-play in systems settings too. It hasn't worked once for me (15 - 20 tries so far) :(

Do you think this particular method of sending commands lacks the delay fix mentioned in 1.45.00?

8. 2,273
    aldostools

The launcher is basically an interface that sends the command found in launch.txt to wMM via an http call using the port 80.
    So it should act the same as when you mount the game from the browser using a web command.

Unfortunately I can't use my console to test myself the correct syntax or if there is a bug in that interface, but you could try using one of the following commands:
    GET /mount_ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].iso
    GET /mount.ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].iso
    /mount_ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].iso
    /mount.ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].iso
    /dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].iso

(copy only 1 line on each test into launch.txt)

jacobsson likes this.
  9. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

@aldostools
    TEST RESULTS
    1.GET /mount_ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].isoFails to mount ISO
    2.GET /mount.ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].isoFails to mount ISO
    3./mount_ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].isoFails to mount ISO
    4./mount.ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].isoFails to mount ISO
    5./dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].isoMounts ISO, No auto-play
    Here is a list of commands that you've posted:
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/webman-mod-web-commands.1508/

10. 2,273
    aldostools

Hmmm the first 4 commands above are supposed to work... As I commented earlier I don't have access to my console, which makes me difficult to continue supporting you with this issue.

One last thing that you could try is removing the tag [auto] from the file name and use L2+START to launch the game or hold L2 while launching the game.

11. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

This would have been the last piece of the puzzle, but it was worth a try at least!
    If you ever feel like debugging it please let me know. I appreciate all the help and software utils over the year, epic stuff!

• I tried mounting the game and using L2 + START, it doesn't start the game, only gives two beeps

• Tried holding L2 while running the "game", ISO mounts but nothing else

• Tried different versions of webman (1.47.09, 1.47.08 ,1.47.07 ,1.47.06)
      Do I have to rebuild the PKG for that specific version? Did not make a difference
    • Tried all the above on both firmware 4.81 and 4.82

I can get the ISO mounted and played by executing two packages separately:
    PKG1 = /dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA) [auto].iso
    PKG2 = /play.ps3

Chaining calls don't seem to work (separated by ; ) since the ISO doesn't mount, only an audible triple beep from the console:
    If chaining calls would work I could use it with a delay, something like this:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  12. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

@aldostools
    I understand if you don't want to pursue this issue above, you mentioned you didn't have access to a debug unit no longer.
    My question is if your PS3 Web debugger could help my find some answers to this issue? If so maybe you could share some tips.

13. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

@aldotools
    BIG UPDATE:
    It turns out the correct syntax for mount + auto-play ISO with GXEMU is like this:
    Code:
    /play.ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (USA).iso
    I guess the content id of the EBOOT needs to be resigned somehow in order to have multiple webman-iso-packages on the XMB? That's the only thing missing for me right now.

EDIT: The EBOOT needs to be decrypted with true ancestor, then hex-modify search for the string: PKGLAUNCH, replace that with your new content id, then resign it and use the new EBOOT.BIN

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    aldostools likes this.
  14. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

WIP!
    GUIDE: Self-booting XMB ISO shortcuts
    Why you might ask?
    • PS2 Classics conversion only use the non-BC PS2_NETEMU)
    • You might want an organized way of sorting your PSX/PS2/PS3 ISOs straight on the XMB

Pre-requisites:
    Downloads

Project setup: Files & structure
    • Make a folder called MY_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS

• Extract the folder \_Projects_\wm_url_launcher\ from webMAN-MOD-zip:
      \MY_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\wm_url_launcher\

• Extract the folder \tools\make_pkgs\bin\ from Aldo Tools.rar:
      \MY_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\wm_url_launcher\bin\
    • Extract \tools\PARAM_SFO_Editor.exe from Aldo Tools.rar:
      \MY_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\PARAM_SFO_Editor.exe

• Extract all content from TrueAncestor_SELF_Resigner_v1.98.zip:
      \MY_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\true_ancestor\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here I'lll assume you have found good content ID for your package, otherwise look at psxdatacenter. For this example let's call it SLUS12345

1. EDIT CREATE_PKG.BAT
    Edit \_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\CREATE_PKG.BAT with a text editor and replace "PKGLAUNCH" on row 15
    Code:
    set CONTENTID=UP0001-PKGLAUNCH_00-0000000000000000
    with SLUS12345:
    Code:
    set CONTENTID=UP0001-SLUS12345_00-0000000000000000

2. EDIT PARAM.SFO
    Edit \_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\wm_url_launcher\pkg\PARAM.SFO using the PARAM_SFO_Editor.exe:
    Code:
    Title id = SLUS12345
    TITLE = Name of the game

3. EDIT launch.txt

Edit \_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\wm_url_launcher\pkg\USRDIR\launch.txt with a text editor and replace
    Code:
    /dev_hdd0/game/HTSS00003/USRDIR/movian.self
    with
    Code:
    /play.ps3/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/nameOfTheGame.iso

4. RESIGN EBOOT.BIN
    Copy \_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\wm_url_launcher\pkg\USRDIR\EBOOT.BIN
    to \MY_XMB_ISO_SHORTCUTS\true_ancestor\

1. Execute resigner.exe
    2. Choose "1. Decrypt EBOOT.BIN Only" => extracts EBOOT.ELF
    3. Open EBOOT.ELF in HxD (or similar hex editor)
    4. Find offset 00030020 and edit
      Code:
      0/game/PKGLAUNCH
      to
      Code:
      0/game/SLUS12345
    5. In resigner.exe choose "3. Resign to NPDRM EBOOT" => new EBOOT.BIN
    6. Replace your old EBOOT.BIN in the PKG folder with the new one

5. RUN CREATE_PKG.bat

DONE

If you want a nice icon and background image for your package, make sure to replace ICON1.PNG and add PIC1.PNG (1920x1080) inside the PKG-folder

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    aldostools and kozarovv like this.
  15. 61
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018