PS3 CECHA00 60gb PS3 Shuts off in only one game, YLOD style.

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by SeanRanklin, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Hi

I recently purchased a used CECHA00 PS3 in working order with the warranty seal intact. Performed the following since purchasing:

- Vaccume internals to rid all the dust
    - Replaced the thermal paste on top of the heat sinks
    - Installed ReBug 4.81.2 with webman fan utility

Temp status is as follows:
    30 mins of GTA 4:
    65C CPU // 63C RSX // Fan Speed %30
    Dynamic fan set at 67C
    PS2 fan set at 33C

What the issue i am having is, that when ever I try to play Tekken Tag 2 the unit will switch off without warning and beep three times while flickering quickly to yellow, then a blinking red, just like the classic YLOD sign. However I am able to switch the unit right back on after this error, and have the database rebuild, and then i'll be freely allowed to play any other game for as long as i want without the unit shutting off. If i try Tekken Tag 2 again, the same problem will happen, and it will always happen in the same fashion - during game play. Never in the menu's or watching cut scenes. It's very bizarre.

I have tried booting from ISO instead of disc, but no change. It's also important to note that the same error occurs if i try to play Tekken Tag 2 Prologue, via the Tekken Hybrid disc, which is a disc consisting of the Tekken Tag 1 game HD, Tekken Tag 2 prologue demo and a blu-ray tekken movie. Yep you guessed it, the problem only happens when playing the tekken tag 2 prologue demo - in game play. Something about this game running during game play does not agree with my unit, and it simply shuts down.

It's important to note that upon reassembly of the unit after i replaced the paste, I forgot to connect the fan back up into the board and had turned on the unit for about 5 minutes before a temperature warning showed up on screen, and the unit shut down. This only happened once. I did not have CFW installed at this time so i dont know what temperature the unit reached.

What does this sound like it could be? Anything i can do to try and pin point this issue, or prevent it happening again? If it is YLOD related, i'd like to try and narrow the failing component down.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. 7
    froggy8

froggy8 Forum Noob

this has happened to me too, wasnt overheating at all.
    i did a database rebuild and it has stopped switching itself off.
    not sure if that might work for you but you could try but bewarn it deletes some stuff but i cant remeber what though.

3. 533
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

If it isnt tempature related then its probably nothing serious.Ylod is caused mostly from overheating the cpu too many times that it causes hardware failure,so if your not making the cpu overheat then you shouldnt be in any danger of ylod.

4. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Phew! - Thats a real relief to hear that. I want to do what ever i can to keep this old girl up and running

I can definitely try that. I dont really mind if it deletes some things, but being on CFW, will it mess any of build up? or try and install OFW instead?

So far its happened twice - once when installing the CFW and the other while playing tekken. I hope it stays that way.

5. 59
    y0urh34d

y0urh34d Member

Try replacing the power supply, I had the cecha model that did the same thing (in demanding games and it wasn't overheating) and what fixed it permanently was replacing the power supply.

6. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Hmm, ill keep a look out if it occurs again. Just wondering, would it be possible to replace it with the power supply from the newer models where its made out of plastic instead of metal? Apparently they are supposed to help the unit run a little cooler.

7. 110
    Vishera

Vishera Member

8. 7
    froggy8

froggy8 Forum Noob

no it didnt mess anything up, if anything it seemed to have made it bit faster.
    also i have changed the power supply t aps 231 as that uses less electic and runs alot cooler too.

9. 59
    y0urh34d

y0urh34d Member

No, they're shaped different so it won't install and they can't handle the amp draw of the original cecha model. Just find a working APS-226 power supply and you should be sweet.

10. 457
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Let me tell you a little secret, switching from a APS-227 to an APS-231 doesnt do nothing about it ;)

60Gbs have some issues regarding some games, specialy Gran Turismo 6 and other titles.

In my opinion, crank the speed to 37%, thats what i did with my 60Gb that ive got today, but still didnt delid the GPU (4th unit already) :P

11. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

37% ?

Thats a bit too loud for my liking - i'm able to maintain temps of 65 with a fan speed of 30% and dynamic control enabled at 67c. Since this, i have not gone anywhere near 70c

I will say though, after updating my cfw and realising webman also needed a manual update, the PS3 kicked up right past 70c in a matter of minutes without fan control installed. Had me super nervous there. Why sony made these units run so hot is beyond me.

12. 457
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

I just bought a 60Gb again, so i aint risking a 5th 60Gb unit, thats why i cranked it up to 37% to keep it below 60º on the RSX, because the RSX is the main focus here, the CELL will be fine above 60º but the RSX, oh dear.

But the unit will be pretty much sitting in my PlayStation collection display, so it will be untouched for many years to come :D

13. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Alright guys small update;

Had the unit off for about a week. Finally booted her up and played some Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and within the first 10 minutes of gameplay,the unit shut off again. Figured it might just be a hiccup so I waited alittle while and tried again but the same results occured. It always seems to turn off mid match. The temp is never over 65on both RSX and CPU so im positive its not due to heat.

Upon searching around online, its seems im not the only one with this issue;

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/652997-tekken-tag-tournament-2/64018707
    https://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS3-Support/Tekken-Tag-2-crashing-my-PS3/m-p/17039890
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/ps3s-odd-behavior-with-certain-games.452874679/

Problem is, all those threads dont actually provide a resolution. Conflicting results from overheating (which it isnt) to bad install data which seems unlikely.

Has anyone from this place had any experiences like this? I really want to get this game working on my console as it plays everything else without any hiccups.

14. 457
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

I might try it on mine 60Gb, but the fan is cranked up to 40%, but i am sure it will behave the same as yours, but worth the shot :)

15. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I really don’t think it’s due to heat. My unit runs really smooth (touch wood). It must be something else.

If you can try it that would be great. I must note that it ALWAYS turns off during a fight match. Never at the menus, cutscenes or anywhere else. Always in-game.

16. 457
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Yeah,mate some games are problematic with the 60Gbs, you mention that your model is a CECHA00 with full PS2 Backwards compatibility (EE+GS), Japanese model.

I ask this because, mine is a PAL 60Gb (Partrial PS2 Compatibility/ GS and no EE/EDO RAM), so your board revision should be a COK-001 and mine a COK-002, but the results are the same.

17. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Were you able to test the game out yet? What were the results? This is really frustrating...

18. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Here is a video demonstrating the problem in real time;

19. 457
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Hmmmmm...same issue i had with my previous 60Gb on Gran Turismo 6, i even changed the PSU to a 25A APS-231 and a 19 Blade Fan back in the day, but the results where the same.

This unit is running stock 227 and 15 blades, didnt bother to change.

I need to find a copy of the game so i can test it properly, but i am 99% sure i will happen to me too.

20. 2,934
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Unlikelly, but incase of problems deleting the gamedata is a "must do" to try to find the problem, also the trophies and savedata, as explained here: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ar-tonelico-qogaknell-of-ar-ciel.20886/

The gamedata needs to be deleted first because the files are generated by the game, so by deleting them you dont lose anything, at the next boot of the game the gamedata will be generated again

Next (if deleting gamedata doesnt works), and just incase... you can delete the game trophies installation, manually (by using a filemanager)... maybe the problem is happening because the game is trying to unlock a trophy for "congratulations, you spent more than 10 hours playing, bronze trophy", and the game crashes at that point because the trophies installation is partially corrupted

And the last resort... is to delete the savedata too, this sucks because usually you have stored some game progress in the savedata, but before deleting it you can make a copy of the folder (just incase you want to restore it incase the cause of the problem is not the savegame)

---------------------
    Anyway... if the problem only happens in one game (but all others works fine), then the problem is in the game !
    So additionally to the tests im mentioning deleting files generated by the game (gamedata, trophies, and savedata in that order) you should also download the IRD file of the game and run a check to the game files
    Most probably the game files are going to match with the IRD, but just incase is needed to verify it because maybe some of the game files went corrupt

---------------------
    Also, if the game is stored in a external USB storage device (hdd, flash, whatever) defragment it
    And to defragment the internal PS3 hdd enter in "recovery menu" and use the option "Restore filesystem"

if the game continues crashing after all this checks... your PS3 is bewitched