PS3 Cobra changes to add full burned optical media support

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by deank, Jan 26, 2017.

1. 52
    oneohthree

oneohthree Member

If someone uses official s@ny generator will ISO work with sMAN, wM, wMM?

2. 5,808
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Well my guess is that the spreading of the files has to be calculated somehow. It may not have anything to do with file types...
    If it was a per game thing, the tools would ship with a database of data with the BD layout for each game that is released & the ps3 OS would need the same to see the difference between a correctly mapped disc & one made with another tool...

Think about the headfuck it would be, s@ny would need to update the tools with every single game release? Hmm..

On top, a incorrectly mapped iso would only be an issue when using the BD drive... Very unlikely if you ask me... Because we don't yet understand the nature of an algorithm does not mean that there isn't one...

Again those are assumptions, I could be wrong but I really don't see s@ny using a database of BD mappings for each game....

3. 1,775
    aldostools

aldostools Developer

I may be wrong, but I think that the Layer Break value (Sectors in L0) is an external setting of the ISO and it has to be calculated per ISO and media, due the number of files/file sizes varies from one ISO to another.

If I'm correct, what is necessary is an algorithm to calculate the number of sectors that should go into L0, so a whole directory and all its content (files) don't be spread between 2 layers.

Sony's ps3gen just provides an easy interface to define which files go to each layer. I understand that this site does not promote the usage of software obtained illegally, but as the leaked version can be obtained freely on the Internet with little effort, I think it is better to use that tool than reinvent the wheel. The argument that it is warez, that requires license and blah blah, IMHO all that is BS, because to start the "PS3 scene" is illegal since Sony does not consent it... or did that change?

4. 5,808
    bguerville

I am not aware that the ps3 scene is illegal. Some parts may have proved illegal but not the entire scene. At least not afaik.
    s@ny isn't the law which, in any case, is different in each country to begin with.
    Who gives a shit whether they consent to anything?
    They don't get to decide this.. Thank f***.
    All they can do is take people to court...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

aldostools likes this.
  5. 5,514
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    And here is a point where I strongly believe that all users claiming to use $ generator have licence to use it. Anyway, I hope that some dev will try to rewrite the same functions in some homebrew app.

PS. @bguerville generator is non free software. And licence is not cheap iirc.

aldostools likes this.
  6. 5,808
    bguerville

Thanks but I am very well aware. I posted about this before.
    That's why we are chatting about the possibility to update makeps3iso! Otherwise I would not bother...

kozarovv likes this.
  7. 5,514
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    My bad I didn't read full chat carefully, just when I posted I noticed "there are new post" info, and added my though to that post. ;)

Ps. @aldostools I know that can be layer break problem well known in Xbox scene (permanent value in that case). But is good to try that old good PS2 toxic DL patcher isn't just good solution. $ony can still use old methods from PS2 in PS3 ecosystem. For PS2 there was need to patch from OTP to PTP. Maybe $ony still keep that in PS3? Easy to check, and for sure they generator is handling that itself by lba sorting (by placing and "burning" files in PTP order like on pressed discs).

aldostools and bguerville like this.
  8. 15
    borzas2010

borzas2010 New Member

MM cant see it, and i dont know the others i just play game directly from ps3 os.

9. 15
    borzas2010

borzas2010 New Member

In most case DL games all data files goes to L0 and for L1 extra movies and game movies(rendered) but not all case, there are games like mgs4 and b2s is not working this way. This is why i said every game need a different method.

10. 36
    W00fer

W00fer Member

Interesting, so all we do is reverse engineer Generator 3 tool as the TOC's cannot be compared?

11. 5,808
    bguerville

His theory is that file mappings for DL games are specific for each game. Implicitly that would mean that the s@ny tool needs to rely on a mapping database instead of using some algorithm to calculate the mappings according to file type or size. The DB would therefore be included somewhere in the tool files (or queried online?)...
    If his assumptions were correct, the only way for makeps3iso to make working burnable DL games isos would be to either reuse that particular database (provided we can find it & read it) or a custom db that we would create ourselves by analysing the working DL isos or whatever (compiling such a db means a lot of work!).
    However, this is only a theory for the moment.
    Afaik, we are not even sure that the file mappings used by s#ny's tool are the only mappings possible to make the disc work.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  12. 36
    W00fer

W00fer Member

You are forgetting one thing. Dual layers are different for DVD's and BD's. AFAIK all PS3 games were released on BD. The bigger ones on BD50. Some are quite problematic such as Battlefield Hardline which is over 50GB on PC, maybe it's smaller on PS3.