EID Root key/Decrypting HDD out of PS3 system?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by therock003, Jan 12, 2019.

1. 2
    therock003

therock003 Forum Noob

3 Years ago my PS3 got destroyed in a water flood. Console was diagnosed with no signs of life whatsover, hdd survived though. I managed then to dump my nand flash and secure a backup, but i never got this EID key.

The HDD surprisingly still works, but is encrypted. I wanted to grab my trophies, saves and whatever else was inside. Has there been any way to decrypt the drive without having these or should i finally give this a rest and format it on windows to use it as external drive for storing media files

PS> If there is no other way, does it have to be any PS3 system, or specifically the one that the drive was install in. For example if i can get someone with a cfw to inject the drive, could he provide me the key

2. 252
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

As far as I'm aware, decrypting the drive is near impossible. Without the EID_root_key you're unable to access the contents of the drive; that applies for Windows and Linux operating systems. Unfortunately I don't see a way to gain access to that HDD due to the encryption, so formatting it will allow you to use the drive again, albeit with the loss of everything on there.

3. 1,614
    Berion

Berion Developer

ERK is unique so You need exactly the same console back to life for at least few minutes to read this key (in short: every PS3 encrypting HDD by unique keys). Currently our PCs are to weak to make successfully bruteforce it in reasonable period of time so if You are unable to fixed Your old console, we can say that You lost all data on this HDD.

Sorry, I don't want sounds harsh but next time remember to making offsite backups (on family, on "clouds" etc).

If You have flash dump, it is still light in the tunnel because maybe, just maybe metloader (ERK is glued to first offsets to it) is encrypted by static key and maybe, just maybe it will leak one day. Then You will be able to retrieve EID Root Key and calculate from it HDD and VFLASH Keys. If it is not a static key, than we going back to square one with CPU Key or whatever is used to encrypt those data. Also Your dump must be full.

If You willing to wait (maybe endless...) and still need exactly the same drive for other purposes, then make sector by sector image of it, and store on some other media. You don't need real HDD to read data from it, it can be image too, or in worst You can restore it to any other HDD. Unfortunately because of encryption, it have no sense to compress it because loosing all time spend on compression is not worth possible size gain.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    therock003 and Zar like this.
  4. 2
    therock003

therock003 Forum Noob

As far as i remember i've had a full flash backup taken. I got a folder with 4 .norbin files inside. So how do i take this sector by sector backup and store it as an image somewhere so i can get to use that drive

5. 3,192
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Is better to forget about it, really
    Think in it this way, you have a big amount of data encrypted with a key that has been lost, and is imposible to recover that key

Also, if you try to make a backup of the data and try to compress it (for storing purposes) the compression ratio is going to be ridicully small (because is encrypted) so is going to take the same amount of data

Coldheart2236 and bguerville like this.
  6. 1,614
    Berion

Berion Developer

If You want keep that data on bigger media, keep of course both hdd image and flash image (it's sufficient only one flash dump... but be sure it's proper; since Your console is dead You can only check checksums of them all).

HDD sector by sector copy can be make by anything which reading raw data from media without any kind of interpreting. In example: DMDE on Windows (there is special menu with sector copy range and output) or dd on every Linux. Those applications are not for noobs so be caution what You choosing/typing. ;) BTW: on Windows there is trap: don't agree to any "disk initialisation", it will overwrite important table.