Developer Dakor has released a useful homebrew utility that runs on the PS Vita / PsTV, and happens to be one of the latest entries into the GekiHEN homebrew competition. Game Shrinker will shrink various aspect of your games by removing manuals, languages, videos and more to save space, as space is a premium on the PS Vita and PlayStation TV devices. Checkout all the details from the developer about this latest Vita Utility for HENkaku.
Vita Game Shrinker
Save valuable space on your memory card by shrinking unneeded manuals, language and video files to 0-Byte files. Game Shrinker automatically searches for manuals, language (text, audio, images) and video files in the game directories and offers you the possibility to shrink them to 0-Byte.
Shrinking files to 0-Byte is usually better supported than completely deleting them and reduces the chance of crashes and getting stuck when the file would usually be accessed by the game. Depending on the game and file, you still cannot shrink every file, though.
Game Shrinker comes with a "Try-A-Dummy"-Feature, which let's you temporary replace a file with a dummy-file. After you tested the game you can then decide to make this change permanent or undo it. (This saves you from having to reinstall the game if you shrinked a file that is obligatory for the the game)
I'm currently working on an advanced shrinking system, where movie files get replaced by short dummy movies which the game can actually load / play. This will additionally reduce the chance of getting stuck or experience crashes. Unfortunately I'm struggling with finding the correct encoding settings, so that the games accept the video files for each of the main video file types on the vita (mp4, usm, bik). So here this first release does not support this, yet.
- In some games the video length is hard coded, this means even though the movie file got removed, the game will wait until the movie would usually have finished. In most games you can skip this time by pressing the typical "Skip cut scene"-Buttons (X, Start, Select or O) repeatedly.
- The file-search uses a key word list to find manuals, language and video files. While this is (by now) pretty reliable for most games, using key words can result in false positives and false negatives, this is why you still have to shrink the found files yourself. If the search does not find any files, try to search and shrink files manually.
- If you find video or language files manually, which are not found by the search algorithm, please send me the name of the game (or the names, or the game id) and I'll try to adjust the key words
- Shrinking the wrong files might break the game. If this happens you will have to reinstall the game on your vita. This is why i recommend to use the "Try-A-Dummy"-Feature and deleting the backup after you tested it.
In case it's not clear, here's a general how to for Game Shrinker:
1. Select the game which you want to shrink
2. Press X to search the games folder for shrinkable files
3. Select a file you want to shrink (like language files in Multi-Lang-Versions)
4. Press R1 to Shrink the selected file or Directory
4.1. Or use "Try-A-Dummy"-Feature
Regarding the "Try-A-Dummy"-Feature, this is how to use it:
1. Select the file you want to shrink.
2. Use L1 to backup the file up and to shrink the original file.
3. Start the game and check if it crashes (this usually happens when the starts up or when the video would usually be played)
4. Go back to Game Shrinker and navigate to the ".backup_"-version of your file
5. If the game Crashed press LT to on the .backup file to restore the backup and remove dummy file
5.1 If the game runs fine, press R1 to permanently delete the backup file and free space on your Memory Card."
Download: Game Shrinker
Mirror: via PSX-Place
PS VITA / PS TV Game Shrinker by Dakor
By STLcardsWS on Sep 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM
[Coming Soon] FB Alpha Retro Loader (Light) v1.0 [Powered by PSL1GHT]Check it out as @CaptainCPS-X has made a return to the PS3 Homebrew Community recently and the developer has some plans and a bit of a preview of an upcoming release. A new version of his popular project FBA RL (Final Burn Alpha Retro Loader). This arcade emulator is based off the PS3 version of RetroArch/Libretro, but being CaptainCPS-X is an official contributor to the Windows FBA project and also a PS3 dev there was no better person to bring the original feel of the arcade emulators to the PS3 from windows. Now the developer is deciding to ditch the Sony SDK used to create the original version and has decided to o the pslight route for various reasons outlined in the Coming Soon Announcement you can view from CaptainCPS-X below:Continue reading
NIM - PS2 Edition [Port by Theldus]Its 2017 and the PlayStation 2 community continues adding new content, that keeps the system going with new interest.This time around developer Theldus adds a port of NIM to the library of PS2 Homebrew. This simple game is all about using your math skills in strategic pursuit to avoid being the last to make a move. The dev has shared a bit of information on the title and a bit about the projects development, so give it a look as this simple port is a welcome addition to the PS2 Community. -STLcardsWSContinue reading
OpenTTD [Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe] Ported to PS VitaOpenTTD is an open port of Transport Tycoon Deluxe that clones many of the original features of the business simulation game, Now thanks to developer angguss anyone with a exploited PS Vita / PlayStation TV running 3.60 FW can checkout this Open Sourced Clone. To get this running checkout the simple but important steps that the dev has lined out in his release notes attached below -STLcardsWSContinue reading
Share This Page
- 4.81 cfw
- henkaku homebrew
- homebrew game
- playstation 2
- playstation 2 emulator
- playstation 2 resources
- playstation portable
- playstation portable cfw
- playstation portable emulator
- playstation portable resources
- playstation tv
- ps tv
- ps vita
- ps2 emulator
- ps2 resources
- ps3 cfw
- ps3 homebrew
- psp cfw
- psp emulator
- psp resources
- pstv homebrew
- vita homebrew
- vita tv
- webman mod
- xmb mod
- User Record:
- Latest Member: