Gameboot Enabled on REBUG 4.80.1 REX

Discussion in 'XMB Modifications' started by pinky, May 7, 2016.

1. 6,185
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

that's a lot of information @sandungas . u probably know more about rcomage than I do. :-p

in other news, I just found two or three more NAND backups for my wii on my old computer (the one that's like 12-14 years old). I now have one for 3.2 and one for 4.1 along with their keys. :) I've been backing up everything for all systems ever since my 360's hdd failed.

2. 6,185
    pinky

btw, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but sometimes rcomage doesn't use gimconv correctly or uses the wrong save settings. the way to fix this is to use gimconv outside of rcomage (gimconv is included with rcomage, so u don't have to search for it). the correct save settings for a gameboot r in my tutorials. u could, to make it easy, decode the rco using rcomage, but keep the files as gim instead of png. then, convert the the gim using gimconv and replace the existing file. u may have to use rcomage once beforehand to get the png version of the gim, then discard the rest of the file. I couldn't remember if I posted this in my tutorial or not, but it's something I just thought about. ;)

3. 6,185
    pinky

one other thing - gameboot sound was discontinued on 2.80, so if u want the original sound u need to decrypt 2.76 or below. the sound bytes r about 4xx KBs iirc. it's either that or 7xx, 'cause I know that there r two coldboots and one gameboot sound (2 files apiece). I think the gameboot is the smaller of the two since it's just a chime sound. be warned, though, about making them too large since NOR systems will truncate flash files that r too large. u do have a bit to work with at 3.5MBs free or so, but remember the gameboot uses two sound files like the coldboots depending on ur sound setup. also, with the ext_game_plugin.sprx, remember to compress the plugin with scetool. that file is about 600KBs without compression. it will definitely save u some space. the hex edit should make the file nearly the same size with compression at 182-183KBs. :)

4. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

@pinky anyways, i'm making a full ps3 pro mod, already included ps4 Boot sound, and gameboot sound. do you know if its possible to change the Notifications Sounds, Click Sounds and etc? where are they located? i know its possible through themes

5. 6,185
    pinky

yes, it should be possible, but I've never messed with those sound files. they'll be in vag format, but u can convert them to wav with rcomage. try explore_plugin_full.rco . that's off the top of my head actually, but it's a very large rco with many files within.

6. 925
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

The "navigation sounds" you want to modify are inside system_plugin.rco

If you want to see more examples of sounds inside RCO files there are some more inside:
    edy_plugin.rco
    eula_net_plugin.rco
    osk_plugin.rco
    regcam_plugin.rco
    videoeditor_plugin.rco

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Template:RCOXML_contents_PS3

---------------------
    If you want to make some experiments with sounds fast and without any risk you can create a .P3T theme... the sound files inside a theme are exactly the same ones used in system_plugin.rco (the theme overrides them)
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PlayStation_3_Theme_(P3T)

atreyu187 and pinky like this.
  7. 6,185
    pinky

the system_plugin.rco would've been my second guess. be careful with that one though. it's extremely sensitive to soft-bricking. make a backup of it before modding.

8. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

dont worry, i always have a pup file in cause of softbrick

pinky likes this.
  9. 6,185
    pinky

iirc, u can actually change the color of the confirm and cancel buttons or all buttons rather (triangle, square, circle, cross) with the system_plugin.rco as well. if the button is white, like those r, use the main xml to change its color.

10. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

I took the sound files of a p3t theme in vag format with the name xxxx and at the end _1 _2 i just renamed them to ch0 and ch1 and names to match the original system_plugin files, i compiled compressed with zlib for space 512KB against 700+ uncompressed (uncompressed gave me black screen) and the sounds is mute, any advices?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. 925
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Not sure what could be wrong in your test, but i can tell the firmware is very picky with that souds, this is one of the reasons why i suggested to test your custom sounds with a theme first... until you verify all sounds works fine in the P3T theme... after verifyed in a theme is when you can try to add them in the RCO

One of the requirements is the total sound data
    -Total sound data under 256 KB spreaded between all sound files

The other is that sounds needs to be really short (in time lenght)... not bigger than half a second (or even shorter) because are going to be played really fast

To make the WAV--->VAG conversion (or viceversa) you can use rcomage (the options availables only in command line) or MFAudio (is an old app from the times of PS2)

--------
    So... well, i cant give you a solution because i dont know what is happening... but my suggestion is to play a bit more with the VAG format and use a P3T theme for the experiments

*Also... is posible to create a theme without icons, without backgrounds, and without other stuff... basically you can create a minimalistic .P3T theme only with the sounds for the experiments

To make this kind of themes use something like this
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <theme>
    <!-- Info -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    	<infotable>
    		<info
    			comment="Theme description"
    			name="Theme name"
    			author="Your name, nick, team, company, etc..."
    			url="http://www.psdevwiki.com"
    			authoricon="theme_author_icon_64x64.png"
    			version="v0.1 beta"
    			genre="PS3 Themes Design"
    			preview="theme_preview_480x270.png"
    			icon="theme_icon_64x64.png"
    		/>
    	</infotable>
    <!-- Navigation sounds ------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    	<setable>
    		<se id="se_cursor" 			src="se_cursor.vag"/>		<!-- Cursor movements: left, right, up, down -->
    		<se id="se_optionmenu" 			src="se_optionmenu.vag"/>	<!-- Open/enter a options menu -->
    		<se id="se_cancel" 			src="se_cancel.vag"/>		<!-- Close/exit a options menu -->
    		<se id="se_decide" 			src="se_decide.vag"/>		<!-- Question -->
    		<se id="se_system_ok" 			src="se_system_ok.vag"/>	<!-- Accept -->
    	</setable>
    </theme>

*In this example i included the <infotable> fully.... but actually is posible to delete more stuff from it

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

I thought of the size of the sounds, its about 500 kb but in the p3t file it works even with this size, when in rco no, i will do some more tests them, or gave up and use p3t for sounds

13. 925
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Then i guess the problem is with that sizes, to make things easyer for a first test you could try to change only 1 sound (choose the biggest one as guinea pig), and replace it by a very small sound (in size and lenght)

14. 6,185
    pinky

yeah, rco files r very picky when it comes to sound, much more so than with icons. I think the issue is with rcomage gui, so u might try using normal rcomage with command lines. sometimes u have to do this with icons btw. type rcomage into command prompt to see a list of commands. I believe there's one for vag encoding/decoding. personally, I've not really messed with sound effects due to these problems. I think I have the correct save settings for the wav in my tutorials somewhere, but again I might not. lol it's been a while since I've looked at them.

15. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

Yeap the issue is sizes, but i managed to get all working just changing xml lines CHANELS from 2 to 1 and delete the stereo files making them mono, it would give any difference? because i didnt notice anything

16. 6,185
    pinky

that's actually not a bad idea. I had forgotten about that. another member had issues with 2 channels, so I recommended trying one channel. it was no dice for him though. I'm not sure what the issue was. I think the issue u both were having has something to do with the conversion in rcomage. the wav is meant to be in stereo, but something seems to happen when it's converted to vag. it will show up as two channels, but it simply won't work. glad u got it working though.

it shouldn't make a difference having them as 1 channel. I think some vag files r one channel anyway. it's like the coldboot/gameboot audio in that one file is for stereo, the other is for multi channel out. there's no option for mono, so all sound will come out of each speaker instead of having dedicated channels. that's what should happen with ur sound effects.

17. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

Yeap, thanks so much, The PS3 has notification sounds ? like message and others? because i want to replace the sound, but mine doesnt reproduce none LOL ahhaha.

Other thing in system_plugin is snd_trophy.vag it have the trophy sound, at least it was meant to have, because i replaced the sound with the new Xbox one rare archievement (way cool) of a size 400kb (dunno why it allowed such a big file with no error) but when a trophy is won it plays the default sound O.O

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  18. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

19. 6,185
    pinky

could be in a different location. it's difficult to map out the entire rco series without lots of testing. I never went on psdevwiki to find things, so what I know is what I've tested. I never got involved with the notification sounds or any sounds outside of the coldboot/gameboot ones, so I wouldn't know where to look for that sound. one thing about rco files is that there's tons of overlap, so u'll see the same files multiple times throughout. it's very easy to see if u use PUAD to decrypt all rco files at once. it's not a very efficient system, but a lot of things with the ps3 don't make much sense either. lol

20. 200
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

I will try, but the question is are there a sound when a message or wherever are received? i can't remeber

thanks