Got A Retron 5!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pinky, Nov 7, 2015.

1. 9,746
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I've been using a Retron 3 for a while now, but I had decided to upgrade to the Retron 5 a while back. I only recently plugged the system in due to lack of hdmi ports. eh, my main television only has two, so I have two hdmi selectors with infrared receivers to select channels along with two boxes to bypass hdcp. :p anyway, I'm curious about the difference of using hdmi as opposed to composite between each retron. plus, with the retron 5, u can install the genesis power converter which allows u to play sega master system games as well. I didn't realize it, but I need the wireless controller to set the system up. the original box, with controllers, is in my bedroom where my fiancée is sleeping. damn...I was hoping to game on it tonight. ;) anyone have any experience with the system?

2. 9,746
    pinky

I've finally set up the machine. it works remarkably well. the controller for the retron 5 is far better than the trash supplied with the retron 3. that controller made games virtually unplayable. there r a lot of options in the os as well. the only drawback is that only one cartridge can be seated at one time as it'll autoload the console rather than using a selector like the retron 3. the snes looks pretty sweet in hd with the right filter:

[​IMG]

3. 459
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

I'm amazed the pos wasn't hacked yet to play ROMs, the only cool feature it has is the ability to use the original controllers in the machine...

4. 4,365
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Ensō Tester Developer

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:
    I think they are pretty friggin neat myself. Much cheaper then buying the systems and look much better. Emulation is cool and all but this lets you play your real carts. And GBA via HDMI? Heck yea!!

5. 9,746
    pinky

the system is more for purists who want to save space. I've bought several retro games including all of the dkc games, all of the mega man games (except MMX3 and MM7 for being outrageously expensive), brainlord, startropics, etc. to me, it doesn't feel right using an emulator if ur trying to relive childhood memories. I only upgraded from the retron 3 to the retron 5 in order to see how things have improved. there r advantages and disadvantages. I like the fact that u can now add filters to make an old game look very nice in hd. I don't like the fact that u can add cheats or save states however. that's not my kind of gaming. the system is more like an emulator than the retron 3 with its os. plus, carts r ripped to the 3.1GB internal flash for play each time.

6. 9,746
    pinky

btw, there was a site that had hacks for the retron 3. I don't recall any for using roms. though, there r carts for that that go for around $150/system. anyway, most hacks involved solder points on the board to improve video/sound...probably much of what the os of the retron 5 does. I know the snes had three chips, one for the controller, one for video, and one for sound, but all three were put into one chip with the retron 3 which caused some graphical or sound errors. some of those hacks were to fix such things or at least improve them.

7. 9,746
    pinky

one other thing I've noticed is that the retron 3 controllers used an ir receiver to transmit a signal, so u had to aim the controller at a little box on the front of the system...a serious pain. the retron 5 controller seems to use bluetooth. it functions well, but instead of a dpad it has a joystick which is not ideal with platformers. I only prefer the original controllers though.

8. 459
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Purists? With all due respect, every collector I know who tried this thinks it's just an expensive gimmick. The emulator cores were straight ripped off retroarch and flashcarts do not work in the machine. This thing is a joke.

9. 9,746
    pinky

it's as close as ur gonna get to the real thing without taking up too much space, electrical outlets. it can also play Sega Master System games with an attachment.

10. 9,746
    pinky

I just updated my retron 5 to the latest stable release. though, there's a beta for the next firmware version which came out last month. anyway, it has a very odd updating process. u update the system software via an sd card. however, u can't use the retron 5 until u update the application version which requires an update request file be placed on the sd card via the retron itself. then, u go to their site, and select the update request file to get the application update. I hope this fixes this one bug I've been encountering.

11. 9,746
    pinky

bug = fixed after update, at least from what I've seen. originally, a game would drop frame rate after so much time. still needs more testing though.

bitsbubba likes this.
  12. 9,746
    pinky

the system seems to be pretty sturdy. I actually fell into it due to a side effect of my blood pressure medication that left me dizzy, and it didn't damage the unit at all. it pushed the genesis cartridge into the system, but it didn't break any pins or anything. I'm now trying to get 103, 104, and 105% in dkc 3. I've done the first two, just working on 105%. I've gotten all three on the wii-u, but it's so much more fulfilling doing it on the actual cartridge with the actual controller.

13. 9,746
    pinky

damn...I'm having problems with dkc3. I can't seem to beat lightning lookout! on very hard. since there r no dk barrels and no midway barrels, it's a pain. I gave up on it a while back (this isn't recent). I beat it on the wii-u, but I can't seem to on the actual cartridge. I always get zapped by lightning before I can do anything. :-/ tomorrow, after I've finished my daily routine, I'm going to give it a go again. it's liable to piss me off though. if anyone has played dkc3's lightning lookout!, they know what I'm talking about.

bitsbubba likes this.
  14. 9,746
    pinky

god, this stage is next to impossible. lightning lookout! is kicking my @ss again. I'm taking a swig of liquor after each death, so I'll be a drunk pinky in no time with this crap.

15. 9,746
    pinky

within the next few weeks, I intend to buy this system again. it's fragile as hell, but it works with original controllers and cartridges. if you trip over it (mine's on the floor), then you can pretty much say goodbye to it. it's extremely cheaply constructed, but I don't have many options without a framemeister ($400+ bucks). I deleted all of my saves on the old retron without realizing it (saves to the machine instead of the cart). that is just stupid! you have to tell it to export the save to the cartridge to get the save on there. if your system is really messed up, like mine was, you're pretty much screwed. I like the retron 3 better, because of this, but it's using 240p (maybe?) again via composite, maybe svideo as well, but I upgraded for some reason.

16. 9,746
    pinky

okay, we're back in business! I bought another retron 5 (the latest version and black instead of grey). I just played around with it for a few moments, making sure games would load and the controllers (only tried snes so far) were working. after losing all saves in an attempt to fix my ailing, original system, I'm trying to be as careful as possible.. this one does carry a one year warranty. though, last time I tried contacting hyperkin, I got no response, and that like a year ago. :(

17. 683
    Zar

Zar Developer

I finished "Alexx kidd in the miracle world" today (with a ps4 controller). It feel good to go back in time !

nowadays kids cannot finish this kind of game, they don't have the lvl, we had ;)

ZeroOne and pinky like this.
  18. 9,746
    pinky

yeah, there's no hand-holding. I also don't like the way games are nowadays with digital manuals or ingame tutorials. reading an instruction manual cover to cover was one of the best thing with those older games. I had hoped that, with their return to cartridges, the Nintendo Switch would've honored that, but nope....

19. 9,746
    pinky

something is very messed up my new retron 5. I've since sent it back. the problem was that the system would try to import the saves, then white screen. the white screen now happens every time. does anyone know what happens at import save data if the battery is dead?

edit: I'm going to get another, since I can get a hold of hyperkin now. they were going to replace the system, but I wanted to go through newegg first. :D