Dismiss Notice

PSX-Place.com Announcement:

New Smiley's Added to post editor !!!

PS2 Hacking the PS2

Discussion in 'General PS2 Discussion' started by STLcardsWS, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 1,259
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName Trial and Error Professional Moderator

AAA
    Home Page:
    Not unless something new hasnt crossed my path... My whole media collection is in 480 - 720 with mixes of i and p, but all have been converted to avi format as SMS doesnt like mkv at all. It is open source now though, so if anyone wants to give it a shot, feel free. @kozarovv I very much doubt EEUG will work on it again.. It has been seven years and he gave us the source when we asked for help again just this year. Sorry guys.

2. 7,224
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

I have a SPCH-50001/N - broken drive so it does need exploited to bring back some functionality.

bitsbubba likes this.
  3. 2
    dundey

dundey Forum Noob

I know this is an old thread but I just found it. Would it be possible to connect a laptop hdd to the usb port of the PS2? I have a converter that can convert both SATA and IDE drives.

4. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

my ps2 is old gone,but i think it could load only from external powered hdd's because ps2 usb ports don't provide enough juice to power hdd.and they're usb 1.0 or 1.1,so i would not count on seamless funcionality.you need free mcboot and openPSloader if i remeber correctly,and not all ps2 could use free mcboot (i think only last slim revision is incompatible with it,9xxx or something like that).

if you have fat one,hdd bays aren't expensive,but i would suggest sata ones,because not all IDE drives work,and it's easier to connect to modern systems.i think it will work with 2,5" sata (there's no reason not to) but they support all 3,5" and i think max size is 500gb.

sorry for writing mostly from memory,and it's not as it once was...

5. 2
    dundey

dundey Forum Noob

6. 234
    umart666

umart666 Member

you could get old style external hdd closure/usb adapter that have two usb's at the end to provide more power to the drive and test that way,in my region they are really dirt cheap (like couple of bucks) but as i said,ps2's usb ports are real bottleneck here.

depending of the games you want to play maybe cheap hackable ps3 is better solution.or cheap mATX/Mitx box,also depending of the games and emulator/shaders and whatnot you wanna get and display that you going to play on.

in my opinion,if you have CRT tv and like look and feel of that,cheap hackable ps3 is best and easiest option for all ps2/ps1 and older games.

if you have big modern tv,pc is the way to go.how much powerful and cheap depends of games and systems that you want to emulate.big factor is couple of most demanding ps2 games and if you're interested in ps3 and 3ds emulation.those need beefy cpu's.something like g3258 would get that demanding ps2 games,but for 3ds and ps3 you need even more.

i'm sorry for my little offtopic here,i got carried away because i'm also thinking of building that perfect emulation box on the cheap. :)

7. 5
    Icyhot

Icyhot Forum Noob

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I used to be a computer programmer, but I haven't used my skillz in a long time. I've gotten into retro gaming recently, but I'm trying my hand at a PS2 and bought a Free McBoot card from Ebay and I can't get anything to load...lol. Nonetheless, I look forward to hanging out learning and helping if I can. thank you for having me.

I have two PS2 Fat (30001, 39001) and two PS2 slims (70012). I have the free Mcboot, but I'm trying to load games from a USB - and waiting for the PS2 Network Adapter (SATA), but I'm looking for video tutorial that are not 8 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
  8. 759
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

Welcome to the site.
    We are always happy to have a new face around the forums.

I don't know enough about the PS2 to be much help on that.

UniqueUserName likes this.
  9. 1,259
    UniqueUserName

AAA
    Home Page:
    Hello Icyhot, welcome to the Place!

A video-tutorial of what... or to what end?

Dont use a chinese knockoff network adaptor.!.
    Use an official SONY N/A and do the conversion yourself...
    Or simply get an ide-to-sata converter that will fit in your Fatty/Chubby/Phat PS2s...
    I have heard horror stories about the knockoffs and cannot stress enough to use the official hardware. :(

The ide-to-sata converter I swear by is actually on sale right now on Amazon, buy one get one :eek:...
    Two for $9.99.
    ....... Here is the LINK .......

If you go that route, please make sure the "2-pack" is checked, as the 1-pack is the same price right now, and I wouldnt want anyone reading this to be disappointed.

....... LINK to a post with some PICS of interest .......

It appears you are using 3 different PS2 models across 4 different units:
    PS2 Fat (30001)
    PS2 Fat (39001)
    Two PS2 slim (70012)

So, you will definitely have to be more specific and give lots of details...
    The more the better so I can help you, please. ;)
    Dont be shy, I will read the whole post even if it is a book lol... Seriously, I will. :D

Especially, please note the version of FreeMCBoot you are using, your exact model used during each test, specifically what happens when you turn on the PS2-unit with your FMCB memory card inserted, what happens when you do the same with it NOT-inserted, any modchips installed, any factory-seals broken, Et Cetera (...and other similar things...).

If it boots to the Browser Menu with the card inserted, please list ALL the available-listed-options that appear on-screen in that menu.
    Hopefully, we can sort this out for you soon.

Again, welcome to the site!!!

-Uni

kozarovv, Icyhot and Synxx23 like this.
  10. 8,587
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

@UniqueUserName to the rescue!

for some reason, I picture you as batman from the '60s with his biffs and oofs at a ps2 phat. :-p

11. 5
    Icyhot

Icyhot Forum Noob

Thank you - I look forward to modding multiple systems, but let's see how this works out.

Lol, okay - I don't know how you visualized that, unless of course you went on a binge on old Batman classic shows...lol

UniqueUserName and pink1 like this.
  12. 8,587
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

my intention wasn't to derail the thread, but to make you all chuckle. :-p it's an image that appeared in my mind regarding @UniqueUserName 's ps2 softmodding skills. I have a hard mod, so I don't know anything about the soft modding side outside of launch.elf . my hope was to make you feel comfortable enough to be yourself. I've been annoying members here since 2015. ;)

Icyhot likes this.
  13. 1,259
    UniqueUserName

AAA
    Home Page:
    @Icyhot

As long as you are getting the FMCB-"Splash-Screen" during the PS2-Booting-Process, we should be able to get you up and running within a few posts... So please dont get discouraged... Weve got this! ;)

kozarovv likes this.
  14. 1,345
    Berion

Berion Developer

Nothing hard. There is only one superior over all other exploit, and it's of course FMCB. It loads "mass:/RESCUE.ELF" on start (case sensitive; mass means usb mass storage device ;]). However, it have of course menu, which config You will find in "mc0:/SYS-CONF/FREEMCB.CNF" (mc means memory card). It is ordinary ASCII text file and for sure You will quick understand the syntax. So first use file manager (like i.e uLE/wLE) and transfer files to pendrive (MBR>>FAT32 only) to have easy way to edit them on PC.

Executable files for PS2 are *.elf and *.kelf (kernel elfs only for OSD Update function utilize). Of course they are not the same ELFs like on Linux. ;] Scene developed across all those years free SDK called ps2sdk.

Probably this is all which You need to know. Enjoy the digital archaeology. ;p

15. 5
    Icyhot

Icyhot Forum Noob

No sweat brother - I didn't take any offense to it.

Thank you so much, I will take pictures and upload them and see where my faults are. I've been watching a ton of YouTube videos, but it seems there are multiple ways to do this (and they are quite old). The link to the Free McBoot is this (I bought this, but only the SNES emulator loads up without any games. The other emulators don't load up. I think it's a USB thing - maybe need to defrag the USB first after Fat32 format first. (I'm not sure if a USB or HDD is supposed to be there first):

eBay item number: 132343588254

Tutorial on YouTube that may be on track (I may be completely off-track with these):

YouTube: /watch?v=pO5DmaXKZ0c&t=886s

YouTube: /watch?v=C4d0-gnUuQM

YouTube: /watch?v=UjYU4fn5SIE&t=302s

YouTube :/watch?v=CKNL9PZM11o&t=25s

I will definitely post some pictures on this memory card and other pertinent information. I just don't want to come across like I'm not doing my part on research first. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Here are the pics I said I would post, but I used the OPL Manager to rename the file and it boot up the art but then no power goes to the USB stick and I did this on the slim also. I think it could be these FreeMcBoot card. I'm not sure what is happening. Do I need to format the freeMcBoot card and how do I install MCBoot again. I believe to a USB drive, but I'm looking for some guidance.

20180314_233103.jpg 20180314_233131.jpg 20180314_233321.jpg 20180314_233350.jpg 20180314_233412.jpg 20180314_233500.jpg 20180314_233629.jpg 20180314_233745.jpg 20180314_233800.jpg

I have more pics doesn't let put them on - unless it's capped by post. Let me try! Nope doesn't work

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
    pinky likes this.
  16. 4
    willyboy

willyboy Forum Noob

I could be wrong, but OPL is for Slim I hear that for phat ps2 HDL has better compatibility

17. 1,345
    Berion

Berion Developer

HDL is ancient and poor for all kind of models. And it only support IDE storage which not all models have.

18. 1,259
    UniqueUserName

AAA
    Home Page:
    I can see from the pics, that you are using FMCB 1.953 and it IS working properly...
    You also have FMCB-Configurator working as well, which is how you link your ELF homebrew/emulator-files locations, so they appear on your main boot menu...
    uLaunchElf is how you manipulate everything on HDD/SMB/USB...

So far the only other help I can really offer is this...
    ALL of the PS2-resource-files on the six-pages I am linking below WILL work on your setups (please note the PS2 prefixes in BLUE, and if not-noted HDD/USB specifically, then they will work on either-setup), and have been tested by me personally, so download away, and let us know how to better help you after having the correct best-known-working emulators/homebrew available today. :)

LINK:
    ....... PS2 Resources = The BEST of the BEST (tested by me personally) .......

Another LINK (with MANY useful tips/tricks/links):
    ....... PS2 NOOBS .......

Enjoy!

-Uni

19. 1,259
    UniqueUserName

AAA
    Home Page:
    It may have to do with your posting 6+ times in a row, please DONT do that, and simply use the EDIT-button feature, until someone else responds...
    In the mean time I have have merged all your multi-posted messages together, feel free to try again.

Unfortunately, I have zero-experience with OPLmanager, as my entire library and setup were complete and flawless before that project existed...
    Only advice I can think of is, do ALL your renaming within uLaunchElf as I did without issue, or set up a "RadHostClient" (PC-side) / "uLE-HOST:" (PS2-side) configuration, so you can manipulate/access/transfer your files from PC at will.

Your FMCB-card appears to be working correctly from the pics provided, however, you now have the option to create a new card if you like by using uLE and the FMCB installer v0.973 (FMCB v1.953 2016/12/16)...

LINK:

http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/FMCB/
    (as we respect the Developers wishes as to not-hotlink their files :) you will have to manually scroll to bottom of page for the free download)
    You have been mis-informed.
    OPL = Yes / HDL = No...
    Agreed! :)
    NOPE, youve got it all wrong (I am DEFINITELY the Michael Keaton version ;))... IM BATMAN!!! :-p

Icyhot likes this.
  20. 5
    Icyhot

Icyhot Forum Noob

Sorry about the multiple post, I clicked reply (like on this post) and now I can't get out of it until I finish my message and click post reply. Thank you for merging the post together. Am I supposed to edit just my original post and will it let others here on the forum know that I edited my post, so that they get a notification? Let me try to upload the rest of the files.

* It won't let me post additional pictures to this thread. It states, " The following error occurred. The uploaded file is too large."

I was trying to show the root directory of ULaunchElf and the drilldown of the folders because I'm missing a file in the mass:/ folder called "OPL.0.9.3.ELF", I found it online and transferred it there via USB to the PS2 Memory Card, but I got the same thing happening (not even sure if I'm supposed to do this step). Which is - I can see the game (testing it with only one game - and now that I'm thinking about it I'll try another game to make sure this variable is not the problem) in the USB and click it to run (I changed the file name using the program OPL Manager 21.1) and then a "Loading Config" statement pops up and the the screen starts to load. This is where it gets stuck and the the light on the USB shuts off. I was thinking it was the USB stick but it stays on on all the PS2's I have (until I run the game). I have reformatted it and tried the process over 10 times. I will be ordering a new USB stick (but I don't think this is the problem). I think the FreeMcBoot is missing some files (I could be totally wrong (hence why I'm trying to upload more pictures)).

Don't get me wrong this isn't the method I want to use but when something doesn't work I want to learn. Inevitably, I will be using the HDD model because of the size of the HDD and the loading time. I believe the USB on the PS2 is a 1.1 - I'm wondering if anyone has figured to upgrade this to USB 3.0, but I'm sure there is a motherboard compatibility issue. Thank you again guys. I'm sorry about all the problems I'm having with this. I'll check online for more help.