PS3 Hacking the PS3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by STLcardsWS, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 7,115
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Hacking the PlayStation 3
    Highest Exploited Firmware: 3.41, 3.55, 4.82
    PSN Access: Yes
    PS3&PS3slim.png

• Latest Firmware Exploited >>> 4.82

Recent News (Early 2018):
      • For several years the window for installing CFW resided on OFW 3.55 until late November in 2017 (PS3Xploit v2) The PS3Xploit Team released an exploit that allowed for CFW installation on PS3 models 25xx and below from 4.82 OFW, then in March of 2018 the team released Ps3Xploit v3.0 (HAN) and this was for PS3 3k and 4k models, while HAN is not as powerful as CFW in many ways as does not allow for native PS3 Homebrew, (i.e. unsigned code) however, HAN has unlocked the PSP / PS2 / PS1 emulators to run custom pkgs, also the ability to convert your personal media to digital content.

• Comparing CFW vs HAN Exploit
      CFW is the Superior Exploit, however now all PS3 models can install CFW. Those that can't, HAN (aka PS3Xploit v3) is now an option for those models and here is a breakdown detailing the differences between the two exploits

FEATURES
      Y
      (i.e: RetroArch, multiMAN, Movian, ManaGunZ, IRISMAN, ect))
      N

Y
      (webMAN MOD, SEN Enabler, PSNpatch, SMAN, PS3xPAD ect..)
      N
      • PS1 Backup Support
      Y
      Y
      • PS1 Homebrew Support
      Y
      (Limited Support)
      Y
      (Limited Support, Some Emu's)
      Y
      Y
      Y
      (Limited Support a bit better then HAN)
      Y
      (Limited Support, Some Emu's)
      • PSP backup Support
      Y
      Y
      • PSP Homebrew Support
      N
      N

• PS3 Backup Support
      Y
      (Disc files can be extracted & used as is without conversion or patching)
      Y
      (Disc based games must be converted using CFW2OFW or Ps3gameconverter. The conversion process requires an online update of the game. If the game doesn't have an official update, it is not compatible with HAN)
      • Backup ISO Support (ps1/ps2/ps3/ ect.)
      Y
      (w/ Cobra or Mamba)
      N

• Internal Fan Control / Temp Monitor
      Y
      N

Y
      Y
      (
      (limited to modifications on non-binary files ie no bin/self/sprx mods))

Y
      Y

Y
      N
      Y
      N

• PS3 CFW Tutorials

PS3Xploit HAN Tutorials & Guides

USE ANY GUIDES AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Types of CFW
      • REX CFW
        • A CFW by the REBUG Team that is both hybrid of both DEX and CEX. Can be a very simple firmware (Standard CFW) for noobs and with the installation of REBUG Toolbox it can expand/unlock many of its features. but if those features scare you or your just not ready for them, Simply do not install/ or use the Rebug Toolbox until you have a better understanding.
        • 4.82 REX CFW Release:
      • DUALBOOT FW
      • A dualboot firmware is essentially an OFW with one small change, once you install it you can return to a CFW (unlike a unmodified OFW). This will act and behave the same way as an OFW, the idea is to reduce the ban risk to near Zero when playing your disc games online.
      • 4.82 DUALBOOT FIRMWARE RELEASES
      • NOBD CFW
        • This type of CFW is for broken PS3 consoles,If your PS3 Console suffers from a broken BD Drive and also doesn't allow for any apps/games to launch from XMB (even things stored on HDD) then your console likely suffers from a broken BD/Board . These type of firmwares solves this issue by completely bypassing the BD drive like it was not even there. While no optical media can be used, digital media can once again be used. So before you trash that broken PS3, perhaps it may not be as useless as you thought...
      >>> Important Notes about Installing CFW <<<
      • ALWAYS verify the PUP's MD5 checksum. (see tut) - to be sure you do not corrupt your PS3 Console FLASH and cause a console brick.
      • If you do not own a HARDWARE FLASHER or have the means to recover from a possible brick. DO NOT RUSH to install a new CFW / MFW Release. Allow the community to conduct test as some CFW do not get proper testing and even ones that do some models can act differently so its best to give it at least a 3 day wait. Usually brick reports happen the first 24-48 Hours.
      Optional Task
      • It's good practice to QA Flag your console. before installing a new CFW. This allows you freely move up and down CFW versions without hassle.
      • Always a good idea to dump your eid_root_key (keep personal)
      • Can be useful to take 1 or 2 dumps of you flash after a successful upgrade.(keep personal)
      • Backup your Game Saves and edat/rif files to a pendrive, external HDD or FTP to PC.

• PS3 Homebrew
      (CFW ONLY, HAN Exploit does not enable PS3 Homebrew)
      List below is missing some homebrew/apps see PS3 Download Collections Section for additional homebrew.

Backup Managers

Homebrew Applications / Utilities

Emulators

Homebrew Games / Ports

NoPSN App(s)
      Ps3 Background Running Plugins
      PS3 Download Collections

PSX-Place.com PS3 Downloads:

Brewology.com PS3 Downloads

Our Old PS3Index (needs updated broken links from old forum software) but still is useful:

• Frequently Asked Questions

Can my PS3 model be exploited? and if so which exploit should i use?

• Yes, Currently on Firmware 4.82 all PS3 models can be exploited with either Custom Firmware (CFW) or with PS3Xploit's HAN (CFW the better option if model supports it) now we must just determine your PS3 Model to see what type of exploit's are compatible.
        • PS3 Models Supporting CFW Installs
          • ALL PS3 Fat Models
            • CECH-A01 / B / C / E / G (NAND)
            • CECH- H01 / J / K / L / M / P / Q (NOR)
          • MOST PS3 Slim Models
        • PS3 Models Supporting HAN Exploit (technically all PS3 models support HAN, but you would only want to use it on these models listed below, as they do not have ability to use/install CFW (the better exploit) but HAN is a great alternative )

Where do I find my PS3 Model Number's?
      • You can locate your PS3 Model number on the Info Sticker located on back of the console as seen below:
        9252-18c0504e4fef01a250e320326a2b2cb1.jpg.png 9250-494151f41ac9a8423b8ef05fe718d583.jpg.png 9251-ffd94adb37e20dbb2bcbefe06d91bcd3.jpg

Can i get banned using an exploited system on PSN?

• Yes, there is an inhered risk of getting a ban on an exploited console, There are ways you can protect yourself and limit the risk of a ban, but rule #1 is respect the network and fellow players.

CFW Compatible Model on Firmware X.XX should install CFW how?

• 3.55 FW and Lower - Update to/Stay on Firmware 3.55, and from there pick a CFW of your liking, and to install the CFW you simply follow the official (PlayStation) way of updating firmware via "USB Storage Device" with the only difference being that your using a CFW PUP file not the Official PUP file.REMOVE ANY GAME DISC FROM THE DRIVE
      • 3.56 FW and Higher - Update to Official Firmware 4.82 and from there you should checkout PS3Xploit v2.0 (note v3 is for HAN and not CFW) and when the hack is executed you will have the ability to install a CFW.

Where can i find PS3 Homebrew Applications / Games?
      There is a great collections @:

PS3 Related Terms & Acronyms
      • PS3 - The PlayStation 3 Console (did i really need to list this one :) )
      • SKU- Stock Keeping Unit.
      • PSN - PlayStation Network.
      • SEN - Sony Entertainment Network.
      • PlayStation Plus/PS+ - This is a premium service for PSN, it gives subscribers *Buy Games from PlayStation Store*, discounts on games and early access to betas.
      • XMB - Xross Media Bar - the OS or Software on PSX, PSP and PS3, also present on some other Sony Products.
      • PSL1GHT - Open Source Version of Sony PS3 SDK.
      • SDK - Software Development Kit.
      • OFW or FW- Official Firmware
      • CFW Custom Firmware
      • MFW Modified Firmware (Same as CFW)
      • PUP Official format of PS3 Update Files (firmware)
      • EBOOT This file is present in all PS3 games, it contains various information, during the 3.55 MFW/CFW days, patches would have been released for eBoots signed with newer Keys/SDK, so that they could be playable on 3.55.
      • SELF Secure ELF.
      • ELF Executable and Linkable Format, this type of file is present in or used on PSP, PS2 and PS3.
      • PS3UPDAT.PUP This is the firmware file, that you use to update your console.
      • PUP Playstation Update Package.
      • CEX Retail Firmware
      • DEX Debug Firmware
      • SEX Kiosk Firmware (shop/demo)
      • REX A CEX/DEX hybrid by Team Rebug for CEX Consoles
      • D-REX A CEX/DEX hybrid by Team Rebug for DEX Consoles
      • BD Blueray Disc
      • ISO - Also known as ISO Image, this is like a RAR file which combines the contents of a Disc(CD/DVD/Blu-Ray) into a single file, used on CFW PS3's for PS1/PS2/PSP and PS3 Games.
      • PKG This is a package file, it is used to install games or software/homebrew
      • DISC.SFO File to prevent you have inserted the disc of the game you have installed from it.
      • PARAM.SFO File who contains settings/parameters around/about the game such xmb in game, remote play, resolution, fw min game should use, region deny...
      • PARAM.HIP/HIS display the changelog of the game/homebrew from xmb.
      • PARAM.SFO File used for secure the ps3 save data.
      • Ps3 disc sfo File used for activate subfolder of the game such update, extra, theme, videos and others.
      • RCO file that contains icons, text and sound that appear's on xmb but can not be modify from theme.
      • P3T - file format for theme. Can be dynamic and/or with differents backgrounds. You can create your own theme on any fw.
      • Remote Play - PSP, PSVITA, PC or phone used as sound/video monitor and controller for PS3 through internet connection on any FW. For less restriction from the official setting, you will need to use patch for PC or edit the SFO of the game or homebrew. Differents resolutions are available according to the FW but not all the games can function through this mode.
      • VMC Virtual Memory Card - This is used for PS2 saves on the PS3.
      • VME Virtual Memory Card Export.
      • lv0ldr Level 0 Loader aka Boot Loader aka bootldr.
      • lv0 Level 0.
      • lv1.self lLevel 1 Secure ELF.
      • Cinavia A system implemented in Official Firmware 3.10, this was an effort to stop PS3 owners playing Pirated/Backed Up movies, those on MFW/CFW can install a Homebrew App to bypass this.
      • IDPS ID Per System
      • DDS This is the format used for In-Game Manuals for some Official Retro Games and Apps
      • RLOD Red Light Of Death.
      • YLOD Yellow Light Of Death.
      • RSOD Red Screen Of Death
      • BSOD Blue Screen of Death

• NAND PS3 Flash Type (Early Model PS3)
      • NOR PS3 Flash Type (Later Model PS3)
      • CELL Also known as Cell Broadband Engine Architecture and abbreviated CBEA or Cell BE, this is the processing brain of the PS3.
      • SPU Synergistic Processing Unit.
      • PPE Power Processing Element, the PS3 has one of these, which contains 8 SPE's.
      • SPE Synergistic Processing Elements.
      • RSX Also called Reality Synthesizer, this is the Graphical heart of all PS3's.
      • Sixaxis This was the first control pad released with the PS3, it was missing the Rumble Fucntion, they had to remove the Rumble Function due to loosing a lwasuit with Immersion.
      • DualShock 3 Sony later released this PS3 Control pad, that has the Rumble Function, they were able to implemet Rumble when they settled with Immersion.
      • VIEW Additional terms @ PSDEV WIKI >>> http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Glossary

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    Otto, HACENPS3PRO, GBX and 5 others like this.
  2. 19
    Paulkuria

Paulkuria New Member

Hellow.. After installing rebug to my ps3.. Will i just insert a burned disc and play or i will do anything else?

3. 8,320
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

u trying a ps3 or ps2/ps1 game? it was the case that u had to use swap disc on version 3.8 if not on cfw. I can't recall the swap disc name - sorry. :(

Yugonibblit likes this.
  4. 8,320
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I just thought of it. I think it's called swap magic. it should still work on the latest firmware afaik.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  5. 3,949
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Home Page:
    Do you mean PS3 games, you could burn your Backups to disc but most people make backups onto a hard drive and play them like that. You can use any of the backup manager apps to copy games to internal (Multiman , IrisMAN etc), normally this is done by pressing triangle on the game, then selecting copy, then selecting the destination, the destination can be internal HDD or an external USB Device.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  6. 19
    Paulkuria

Paulkuria New Member

THANK YOU GUYS.. But still disc copies will play still?

7. 33
    dquestagod

dquestagod Member

need a little help here I did a e3 flasher dump that had errors and forced patched it like read in tut from another website. tried to ribbon cables brand new same dump even shaved the sides same error. it lets me cop from nor and write to nor. But I have blank screen after boot. I know the only way I can restore it is with good back up and if I solder up e3 linker can anyone help me. I have cech2501a lowest firmware is 3.40 or can I email some one my dump to see if they can fix it or match it to work

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  8. 33
    dquestagod

dquestagod Member

can any one help please

9. 6,502
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    If you made bad dump, and then wrote it to PS3.. Then now when your read it, is not gonna magically fix itself. EVERY SINGLE downgrading guide is saying to NOT WRITE DUMP THAT HAVE ANY ERROR. You have probably killed your PS3.

What exactly "errored" in that backup? Which tools you used to validate it?

psykosis and Yugonibblit like this.
  10. 33
    dquestagod

dquestagod Member

I got my other cech 2001a up with another dump I dont see why this would not work with a donor that is good. but i can email you my dump inbox me your email

11. 33
    dquestagod

dquestagod Member

this what happened

Attached Files:

12. 33
    dquestagod

dquestagod Member

I need donor to repair it

13. 2,091
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

Your bootldr is damaged, meaning unique per console area is corrupted,

Donor ps3 dumps can't fix this since per console area is per console

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yugonibblit and STLcardsWS like this.
  14. 33
    dquestagod

dquestagod Member

so im screwed

Md Hesam likes this.
  15. 2,091
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

Unfortunately you're, for xbox360 we can build our own custom nand with cpu key, but it's impossible to do it on PS3 so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yugonibblit and bguerville like this.
  16. 7,079
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Why did you flash a dump with errors in it without asking for advice first?
    Next time, ask @baileyscream or @playerkp420 before taking such drastic steps...

Md Hesam and Yugonibblit like this.
  17. 245
    playerkp420

playerkp420 Moderator Developer

Did u make a dump right after the first time flashing the bad dump?

If u did, and have that dump (it will look even worse then the one u flashed), it is possible to fix it. By Frankenstein a dump together after retrieving bootldr from that dump.

I have done it many times. But it is only possible if the clip was seated correctly and a new dump was made, before flashing anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

18. 7,079
    bguerville

Thanks for taking over KP. Your area of expertise...

Yugonibblit likes this.
  19. 7,079
    bguerville

Yes
    But it's much better all round & easier to use an iso on internal or external hdd. Better performance too because discs are noisy & slow.

Yugonibblit and UniqueUserName like this.
  20. 1
    VishalGujrathi

VishalGujrathi New Member

Finally today i bought a new Sony PS3 Super Slim 12GB and was searching for some help of jail breaking it . Currently the Firmware is 4.76 . Please if anyone can help me with this will be a great help..... I downloaded REBUG_4.76.1_LITE_PS3UPDAT_b5c5be2e29beab04d575d7efa311c16b.PUB file so will this work or not?
    Whether it has multiman pre installed ?
    Thank you Guys in advance...