HDDChecker

Discussion in 'PS2 Tools' started by sp193, Jan 6, 2016.

1. 140
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Update 2016/01/06: v0.93 re-released!
    Update 2016/01/04: v0.93 released!
    Update 2014/06/26: v0.92 re-released!
    Update 2014/06/23: v0.92 released!
    Update 2013/09/30: Bug report.
    Update 2013/08/06: Initial public release.

HDDChecker is a basic disk diagnostic tool meant for testing the health of your PlayStation 2 console's Harddisk Drive unit.

It was conceived and constructed because I didn't want to see anymore poor SCPH-20400 units being cut open, just to have the disks within them taken out for testing. >_>

It'll also be useful for those people who need to check the condition of their HDD units, but don't have a working IDE port on their computers to connect the disk to.

It has the following features:
    1. Detects and lists the model, serial, firmware and S.M.A.R.T. status of HDD unit 0 (Primary Master).
    2. Performs a surface scan of the disk.
    3. Supports 48-bit LBA disks up to 2TB.
    4. Performs zero-filling of the disk with large blocks (65536 sectors for ATA-5-compliant disks, and 256 sectors for ATA-4-compliant disks).
    5. With the surface scan, bad sectors found might be remappable. Based on my research, it appears that writing to a to-be-remapped sector (those hard-to-read sectors, as recorded by the disk) will kick off the actual sector remapping process. However, this has not been widely tested.
    6. Checks for damage to the APA scheme and PFS partitions.
    7. Defragments the HDD to reclaim space.*

*Does not support disks containing HDLoader games.
    Notes/known limitations/bugs:
    1. Do NOT use a disk larger than 2TB with this tool, as there are currently no safety locks to prevent a LBA wraparound from occurring!
    2. Do not use (usually old) disks that are not compliant with the ATA-4 specification. Like with every other PlayStation 2 software out there that supports the ATA interface, the disk is expected to support UDMA mode 4 and S.M.A.R.T.
    3. If the disk's S.M.A.R.T. status is indicated to be no good (NG status), the disk is about to fail and should be replaced.
    4. This tool may not be able to successfully remap sectors on all drives, as there isn't an official specification on remapping sectors within the ATA specification. If writing to a bad sector isn't sufficient to cause the disk to automatically remap it, the manufacturer's tools may have to be used instead.
    5. If a bad sector cannot be remapped, the disk is dying and should be replaced.
    6. As zeros will be written to the bad sector in an attempt to cause the disk to remap it, the data stored within the bad sector will be lost. Do not choose to remap the sector if it contains data that cannot be lost.
    7. The estimated time remaining counter is not accurate. I don't know why it's that bad, but it could be due to the overhead of the entire system and this program's single-threaded design. Since this program is targeted at power users, this isn't a major problem.
    8. HDLoader games cannot be defragmented, hence disks with HDLoader games cannot be defragmented.

Supported languages
    For more information on supported languages and how support for languages can be completed, click here. A template for translating this software is provided in the downloads section of this page.

Supported languages and their translation status LanguageStatus
    JapaneseUnassigned
    EnglishCompleted and built-in.
    FrenchUnassigned
    SpanishUnassigned
    GermanUnassigned
    ItalianUnassigned
    DutchUnassigned
    PortugueseUnassigned

Changelog for v0.93:
    1. Updated to compile with the new PS2SDK.
    2. Renamed to HDDChecker.
    3. Revamped UI.
    4. Rewritten to use libgs, so gsKit is no longer required.
    5. Added hdck (APA checker), fsck (PFS checker), hdsk (APA defragmenter) and fssk (PFS trimmer).
    6. Changed fonts to the Google English and Japanese fonts.
    7. Added support for booting from the HDD unit.

Downloads/links
    HDDChecker project page (go here for downloads): - PS2 HDDChecker support page -

Berion and STLcardsWS like this.
  2. 140
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Today, I've sat down to try to replace my project icons with the new icons that @Berion made available... but there seems to be some problem with the old code, somewhere. The icons do not seem to be coloured. :|

I've also found some issue with the simulation code in the HDSK module, but my HDD was just optimized earlier so I can't see if the progress computation problem (when the "optimize" option is selected) was solved.

I do not know why the icons cannot be drawn correctly, but I may be getting wrapped up in other real-life stuff pretty soon... so I'll leave this binary here for people to test the functionality with. The latest PS2SDK modules (i.e. ATAD, HDD and PFS) were used too, so hopefully the other weird glitches (i.e. hangs when a bad sector is encountered) are taken care of.

If/when the icon rendering issue is solved and if there are no other issues, I'll make a formal release.

To use the binary, simply replace the same file from the latest public version with it. Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/12ex3t

uyjulian, DeViL303, Berion and 3 others like this.
  3. 999
    Berion

Berion Developer

@sp193: Maybe it's lack of support 4/8bit PNG with indexed CLUT? Every bitmaps which I cut is optimized by optipng (which setting compression to maximum, and if colours can be reduced to 2-256 it also doing it). As I remember, I have made all buttons 4bit PNG (16 and indexed colours to keep transparency). Maybe pnglib for PS2 lack support for them (which would be new for me ;]).

4. 140
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I didn't exactly use the files that you provided because of what you wrote - there would be savings in space and code if everything was just nicely laid out in the form of an atlas. Also because I realized later on that the icons for D-pad buttons within the VSH icon set would be a better fit for my UI. So I used GIMP to edit (removed the extra temperature icons, home icon and the light select + start buttons) the VSH icon set to fit my needs.

When I saved the icons, I used RGB mode. Windows says that it is a 32-bit PNG file, so I am not very sure what is wrong. But somehow this problem seems familiar, almost as if I have seen it before. :|

Also as a side effect of me using GIMP on my own, I don't have an 8-bit icon set that looks nice anymore. I tried to convert the provided PSD file into indexed mode, but the way GIMP merges the transparency layer makes me cringe. @@
    But that is a different problem.

5. 999
    Berion

Berion Developer

@sp193: Send me please all of this bitmaps and I will look into them. :)
    Gimp doesn't fully support PSD (it's a real mess format), sometimes also lack of some effects.

kozarovv and DeViL303 like this.
  6. 140
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    PM sent. Thank you for volunteering to look into it!

kozarovv likes this.
  7. 3
    uyjulian

uyjulian New Member

It was probably me using optipng on the assets in Open PS2 Loader, which cause some assets to not load correctly.

kozarovv likes this.
  8. 140
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Ah, that sounds familiar indeed. Thanks!

So there might be a problem with our port of libpng. Or perhaps it is just a problem with the way it is used here.

uyjulian and kozarovv like this.
  9. 999
    Berion

Berion Developer

Optipng using maximum possible compression and removing all meta data (besides of course resolution, pallete etc.). I have also discovered that CellOS on PS3 doesn't handle properly alpha channel if i.e theme author doesn't turn on "clean transparent" during bitmap exporting in app/plugin (like in default buildin PNG plugin in Gimp or SuperPNG plugin in Photoshop). I have no idea what exactly those options doing but no doubt fixing strange glitches. Another issues which I found are very very light bitmaps which are not supported (?) by PSVita. It's hard to explain but in example if user have background which can be very good compressed below some (critical as it looks like) size, it will not be read/load. But if I paint something on it which making higher size after "optimization" by optipng, it will be read/load properly.

My point is that PNG is not so simple format and it's high probability that not all libpng on the wild fully support this format.

10. 140
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Your new icons also gave the same problem... but I discovered that it occurs regardless of the format (8-bit and 32-bit icons). However, the "glitch" goes away if I changed the levels to 0x80 (128) for each channel of RGB (!).
    The documentation for the GS explains that behaviour, which happens if the texture mode is set to modulate, so that explains everything.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    kozarovv and Berion like this.
  11. 999
    Berion

Berion Developer

? ;)

But I'm happy that You solved the riddle.

kozarovv likes this.
  12. 140
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I was planning to make a new release of HDDChecker and write a reply at the same time, but there were various outstanding problems with the PS2SDK, so that had to be put on hold.

The GS allows us to specify how our textures will be colour-blended with the surface. It was left on MODULATE, which meant that the GS would multiply the two values. The multiplication caused the result to overflow, which naturally resulted in undefined behaviour.

If I am not wrong, I just changed the channels of each colour of the texture to be 0x80, which is equivalent to a factor of 1.0 for the modulate colour-blending process. I could have probably also changed the colour-blending mode to DECAL, which would have caused the GS to just take the colours of the texture "as-is".

Thanks. It has been around for way too long.

Berion and kozarovv like this.