Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Help a noob Jailbreak his PS3! (Stuck at "Patch NAND Flash Memory")

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by Tomatoxic, Sep 8, 2018.

1. 4
    Tomatoxic

Tomatoxic Forum Noob

Hey There!

Short story short, i have been looking into jailbreaking a PS3 for quite some time, and decided to go off and buy myself an old PS3 in attempts to Jailbreak it. I got myself a Phat PS3 (Model C04) that, for all i know, should be compatible with the jailbreak.

So, using the following link:
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps...even-easier-to-install-cfw-on-4-82-ofw.16139/

I have ran into some issues.

I have checked the system using MinVerChck, and it displays version 1.0, All good there.

So i download the packages, and i attempt to flash the memory using the USB version first. I download the Flash.hex, slam it into a Fat32 formatted USB drive, put it into the correct USB slot on my PS3, do the entire process of cleaning the cache & others from the PS3 Web browser, went onto ps3xploit.com, chose the NAND Flasher, and began the process.

After pressing "Initialize Exploitation", the PS3 hangs for a minute or so, then shows that the process was completed. I then proceed to press the "Patch NAND Flash Memory", the screen hangs again (Including the "Waves" in the background) and nothing happens. This has now been sitting in this frozen state for a good 30 minutes. I clearly think something is wrong, so i take the chance in turning off the console. Thankfully, no brick.

I give it another shot after repeating the initial cleanup things... Same thing. Thankfully, no brick again.

I then attempt to do the HDD version on the website, in downloading a fake Jpg file onto the HDD of the PS3, then using that to perform the flash. However, this version does not even get me past the Initialize phase, as it simply states that it failed in every attempt that i get.

Is there something i'm clearly missing here?

2. 7,334
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Use this step by step.
    I originally wrote it for a user with a NOR console but the steps are completely identical for NAND, you just need to replace "nor" by "nand" in the text & URLs.
    Do not omit anything in my instructions, every detail is important!
    Download the patch on your PS3 HDD (as Photo on System Storage) as indicated, even if you downloaded it before. A downloaded patch is only valid until midnight, after midnight it must be downloaded again.
    Install OFW 4.82 twice before attempting to patch the Flash memory.
    To avoid initialization issues, you must not browse any pages before loading the exploit. The best way to do that is to set http://ps3xploit.com/writer/index_nand_hdd.html as your homepage then restart the browser.
    When you need to dump the NAND, to verify that the Flash Memory patch was done properly, set http://ps3xploit.com/dumper/index_nand_hdd.html as your homepage & restart the browser.
    You can safely remove the homepage afterwards.
    http://www.psx-place.com/index.php?posts/108103

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  3. 4
    Tomatoxic

Tomatoxic Forum Noob

That... Seems to have worked actually. Neat!

Now there's a few more "Issues" though.

Since the internal HDD on this PS3 is a measly 60GB, i feel like im gonna have a hard time storing games on it. As thus, i got myself a 1TB external drive to go along with the damn thing. Turns out, that the whole ordeal is a bigger mess than i thought. Now that i actually did get the jailbreak running, storing the games is another question.

Bottom line, can i actually play the games from ONLY the external HDD? Fat32 Formatting here seems to be pointless, as it needs to directly install split files into the internal HDD. (This was running MultiMAN.) I then attempted to run WebMan MOD instead, which does read NTFS based hard drives, which seems to work fine so far! (I managed to boot Persona 5 just fine using it, so that seems good!). However when installing it, it asked to install game data to the internal HDD regardless, which just leads back into the first issue!

Is there a way to circumvent using the internal HDD as much as possible, in order to actually be able to "Hoard" games on the 1TB External drive?

4. 110
    NewFile

NewFile Member

You solved it now, but it's not Flash.hex but flash_482.hex

5. 4
    Tomatoxic

Tomatoxic Forum Noob

Well, everything seems to be working smooth so far... For the most part.

I'm trying to run a backup of Ratchet & Clank Trilogy [BCES01503], but i can't get it to boot no matter what i do. It just goes to a completely black screen, then nothing. Tried using both Internal and External HDD, and Multiman/WebMAN, and same issue. Any fixes that you lads are aware of?

6. 7,334
    bguerville

There is a way to use a FAT32 drive to store game installation data. It's commonly called external Gamedata. It can be used with various backup managers including webMAN-MOD. Plenty of threads in this forum detail the feature & its caveats.

However I don't really recommend it due to slow performance & compatibility issues. But you can try it if you want.

On Cobra CFW, I suggest the use of an external drive with a ntfs partition to store all your games as ISO.
    Alternatively, It's also possible to use ps3netsrv & serve your games over the network to your backup manager. Unlike external gamedata, ps3netsrv compatibility is very good but games will still be slower to load.
    Keep the iso games external & use the internal hdd for game installation data only. But if I were you I would use the 1Tb hdd as internal hdd tbh, it's unlikely that you would ever fill it just with PS3 game installations.
    If you really want to keep your games on an external drive, you may need to buy another hdd

It's also possible to use legacy JB folder format to store games on external Fat32 partitions. It will work with the majority of games but the few that use individuals files > 4Gb won't be compatible with this method.
    Finally, you can split your big iso game files into 4Gb chunks to be automatically reassembled by a backup manager. This way you can store any iso on a FAT32 partition.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. 4
    Tomatoxic

Tomatoxic Forum Noob

Wow, that's a whole lot of great info! Thanks a ton. I decided to set it up with .ISO files on an NTFS drive after all, since it's simply the most convenient way of managing the files in my opinion.

So on the plus side, i have managed to dump nearly 20 hours into Persona 5, and it's worked flawlessly. A few hours into games such as LittleBigPlanet, no issues.

Buuut then disaster struck when i attempted a few select games I'd wish i could get to run.

The issue is always the same. I attempt to mount the game (Either through WebMAN or MULTIMAN), it mounts into the XBM screen, i start the game... And black screen. Nothing happens, though i can still open the XBM menu and quit the game as normal. Is there something i should be looking at to avoid this, or is it simply a compatibility issue with the games themselves?

So far, three of the backups i have tried running have done this.
    *Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
    *Dragonball Z Ultimate Tencaichi
    *Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX

8. 407
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Keep in mind,some games need a offical ps3 disk inside the drive to boot the backup

9. 7,334
    bguerville

On Cobra/Mamba CFW, if ever you have issues with an ISO game not running, before looking for possible config issues, the first thing to do is to check the ISO itself to avoid wasting time with a game that could never run because it was modded, resigned for another type of setup etc...

Did you make the iso files yourself?
    Using original BD discs?
    The ISO were created using what tool?
    On PC or on PS3?
    During or after the ISO creation, have you validated the iso files contents using the specific games' ird files & an appropriate tool?