Help!!! Just finished hacking my 3ds using sound hax and now it won't turn on

Discussion in '3DS' started by precious200, Oct 11, 2018.

1. 80
    precious200

precious200 Forum Noob

Hi I'm new to Nintendo modding but the problem is that my 3ds when ever I turn it on the led light just on and fades away and it even spoilt my sd in the process how do i turn my 3ds on again please it only turns on with sd card that i put luma....... Something like that thanks please help

Sent from my P5W using Tapatalk

2. 9,517
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

b9s or a9lh? iirc, you need the boot up file in the ctrNAND. one of the luma updaters will do that for you.

3. 505
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

You should be asking this on gbatemp.You need to download the latest luma payload,name it boot.firm and put it on the root of your sd card,and create a folder called luma on the root aswell.

I mod both the ps3 and the 3ds so your in luck.

4. 505
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

If he followed the 3ds.guide website instead of a youtube video,then he should have b9s

Zazenora likes this.
  5. 80
    precious200

precious200 Forum Noob

That was what i followed and i downloaded all the files needed

Please I'm new to this how do i fix this

Ok boot9straps

And i don't know how to do that

No it boots with sd but without sd it won't boot

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  6. 505
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Ah i see,you need to copy the boot.firm from the sd option on fbi,go to the ctrnand nand option and then paste the boot.firm there on the root.

Once done,you can boot off the 3ds without the sd card and then boot it back on.You will see the luma config on boot.

7. 80
    precious200

precious200 Forum Noob

Thanks but how do i do about my fbi because if my sd is not there i won't see my fbi and home brew so how do i install them on my system memory

8. 9,517
    pinky

install the luma updater while the sd card is inserted. when you download the latest version via the updater, it will ask if you want to install the boot.firm to the ctrNAND. that won't change with or without the sd card.

9. 80
    precious200

precious200 Forum Noob

Ok

So even if my sd card is not present my fbi would still be there at the menu?

My hbl and fbi would still be there?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  10. 9,517
    pinky

no, the sd card must be inserted. what I mean is that the ctrNAND will be present with or without the sd card being present.

precious200 likes this.
  11. 80
    precious200

precious200 Forum Noob

Please i bought a new sd card how do i install fbi and homebrew since i already installed it on my other sd which isn't mine

12. 9,517
    pinky

copy and paste the content from one sd card to the other.

13. 247
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    Any time you get a new SD card that you'd like to use, all you need to do is format the new SD card to ensure it's on File System FAT32,
    Make sure you copy EVERYTHING from the old SD card over to the new one.
    It would also be a good idea to make a backup of your SD card that you can store somewhere safe, you never know when your SD card will start to fail.
    Better safe than sorry.

14. 9,517
    pinky

@Zazenora , definitely good advice. I actually made backups of my sd card and my NAND each time I installed something or updated. I also keep things clean with tiksweep. the backups I made were on four different hdds including 2 10TB ones. :-p oh, I had forgotten to mention fat32. ;) iirc, gateway uses exfat, but the normal system must be fat32.

btw, I still have my gateway cart. it's really good for skeet shooting. :D

Zazenora likes this.
  15. 247
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    If you follow the 3ds.guide tutorial, it goes through the steps to backup your NAND, but it doesn't underscore the importance of it as much as it should. Alot of people will just be eager to get into the action and forget about it. Those steps are mainly there for if someone runs into a problem that needs the backup to be fixed, whoever ends up helping that person will ask if they kept that backup.

I've never used a flash cart, but I really want one for the cartridge slot benefits.
    Playing regular DS games from the SD card slot seems to have compatibility issues. Some games aren't playable like this.
    (Golden Sun: Dark Dawn doesn't work for me :[.)

16. 9,517
    pinky

I have to admit that I haven't looked over that guide very recently. I still remember having to set aside an entire night to install a9lh with its 200+ steps.

Nintendo added new checks with 11.8, so since I had a backup NAND of 11.7, I reinstalled that. it's good to have a NAND backup in case something were to go wrong. I believe godmode runs before the home menu, so if the home menu (possibly os in general) is corrupted, you can usually save yourself shy of hardware failure.

twloader's compatibility is pretty bad which is why many suggest just buying a cheap flash cart. I ran some tests between the supercard ds two's gba emulator and a slot 2 device. I can't recall which is which, but one had framerate issues but sound was fine; the other was in the reverse. ds games themselves run perfectly. :)

@op , it turning on, then off is normal if that boot.firm isn't on the root of the ctrNAND. you can either use a luma updater or I think you can use godmode to inject it manually.

Zazenora likes this.
  17. 247
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    Yeah, the guide even advises you to use the Luma Updater before finishing up. It is also safe to update your console to the latest firmware as of right now, according to the guide.

After I modded my 2DS which took a couple hours, I was able to mod my girlfriend's 2DS in about an hour.
    Alot of the steps you mentioned @pinky about the a9lh setup must be more automated somewhere in the process now.
    The guide has probably been updated and slimmed down some since the time you had to use it, and I've seen
    alot of people on GBAtemp bragging about how much easier it is to install CFW on them now compared to a while back.

This is all good news for the end-user of course :D

18. 9,517
    pinky

one of the issues back then was the fact that nothing was ever verified. if you tried install an old or 2ds firmware on a new 3ds or vice versa (they're different) = brick. if a NAND backup messes up and you restore it = brick. if you install b9s without a way to verify = brick. now, all these things are verified, usually with its sha-1. there was also the deal with downgrading to 2.1, which the new 3ds wasn't capable of doing without some sort of hack. I had heard that closing the lid on a new 3ds on 2.1 resulted in a brick as well.

I actually still have my old 3ds on a9lh. since I don't ever use it, I decided to leave it, perhaps sell it. :) I think you'd have to try to brick the system now. lots of bricks beforehand.

Zazenora likes this.
  19. 247
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    From what I've experienced, mods start out confusing but over time get refined to make it an easier process on the end-user.

I wish I had a new 3ds or new 2ds so I could play Xenoblade Chronicles on it. I bought the damn game not knowing the difference in o3ds and n3ds lol. Still, it's nice to have it in my collection as I'm a big fan of that game. Now, if only we could get a remake of Xenogears, I'd be content for a while.

20. 9,517
    pinky

xenogears maybe with a mod of the psx classic? they have one for the nes and snes classics. I think you can add nearly any game. :D

I never got very far in xenoblade on the wii. I remember getting too overpowered too early by doing sidequests. that's changed a lot with xc2. you can get slaughtered by barely veering off course to your destination. I have about 35 hours in that. I have a friend with over 425 hours in the game. my god! is the game really that long!? then, they have that dlc that's like a whole other game.