Help updating firmware and softwares

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Bersekz, Dec 29, 2016.

1. 23
    Bersekz

Bersekz Member

Hello, about two years ago I bought a PS3 modded with 4.70 Habib CFW, with MultiMan and WebMan installed also. Now I would like to update my CFW to the latest 4.81 Habib and also install the latest version of MultiMan and WebMan. Could anybody tell me the procedure for doing this? Is there a function inside MultiMan and WebMan to auto-update the program without having to reinstall it? I don't want to lose the settings which I currently have in the programs.

2. 7,413
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Just download habib's 4.81 CFW PUP file.
    Using a fat32 USB key (not a hdd) on a PC, create the folders & copy the pup file so at the end the path on your USB device should be exactly like this, in caps letters.
    X:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP

If the path is any different it won't work.

Plugin the usb key into the ps3.
    Remove any disc from the BD drive.
    Disconnect from Internet.
    Go to the XMB->Settings->System Update.
    Choose "Update from storage device", the next screen should show the name & version of the CFW. Go ahead with the update.
    On reboot, you are done.

Regarding multiman, you can safely install the update pkg over your current installation, your settings will all be kept.
    Then last version is multiman 4.80. It can be downloaded from our Resources section, from store.brewology.com or directly from multiman itself.
    If you download it with multiman, you still need to install the pkg afterwards.

WebMAN-MOD will need updated too.
    Download the updater pkg from github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/releases/tag/1.45.05
    prepNTFS 1.17 & other wMM related brews can be downloaded from the same page.

Other brews might need to be updated...

Judith Guynn likes this.
  3. 23
    Bersekz

Bersekz Member

Thanks a lot for the fast reply. I don't understand one thing: why the pkg of webMAN is called Updater? It means, it updates a release already installed without affecting current settings like fan load temp ratio and stuff like that or it's the actual name of the official base release? Also, I don't understand what are these other brews like prepNTFS 1.17. Are all pkg installed lost during the CFW upgrade? Sorry for the lots of questions, but just want to be sure before I proceed.

4. 79
    Crezazel

Crezazel Forum Noob

I've seen other people say to use a USB key and not a HDD, just curious as to why not to use a HDD.

5. 7,413
    bguerville

In short, because of potential latency among other problems
    Here are the recommendations from psdevwiki in regards to system update & USB devices:

Problem solving / tips[edit]

Don’t use any USB Mass Storage Device with enhanced functions as: encryption, fingerprintreader, U3, pincode etc. (sometimes marketed under names as SCSI Enclosure Services (SES) thus needing drivers and only working under Windows)
    Don’t use USB Mass Storage Devices with a long initialisation time (e.g. some MP3 players)
    Don’t use multipartitioned USB Mass Storage Devices, only use 1 single primary FAT32 partition.
    Make sure they are formatted according to specifications with FAT32 (e.g. HP USB Format Tool – or TOKIWA / Ridgecrop FAT32 formatter)
    If the stick is formatted FAT32 and still not working, consider other stick or use this tool: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/restoring-your-usb-key-partition/
    Most USB Mass Storage Devices that’ll work effortless with PenDrive Linux, will also work with the PS3 (for downgrading, upgrading, storage of your Game dumps and any normal filestorage under the XMB). Those USB Mass Storage Devices are most likely also the ones giving you the least problems under more exotic platforms like PSX/PSone, PS2/PStwo, Xbox/X360, Gamecube/Wii/WiiU etc.
    Make sure no disc is inside the drive otherwise it will try to install that one instead of the one on USB Mass Storage Device!
    Make sure the media is not readonly (e.g. SDcard or USB Stick with readonly tab) if using firmwares when doing one of the following:
    Factory Service Mode
    reinstallation
    Remarry BDdrive
    RSOD Fix
    or any process that needs to write a log file, in short, write access

Judith Guynn and Crezazel like this.
  6. 79
    Crezazel

Crezazel Forum Noob

Sorry 'bout that.

7. 23
    Bersekz

Bersekz Member

You forgot to reply to my questions.

8. 7,413
    bguerville

I did not forget anything. Lol

The webMAN-MOD updater is both an installer & updater.
    It works for a first time installation.
    It also updates an existing installation without losing any settings.

PrepNTFS is the brew you must run to index games located on an external ntfs hdd for use with webMAN-MOD.
    Ntfs is not supported natively by the ps3 & for now, webMAN-MOD cannot index games based on ntfs directly. It requires using prepNTFS to prepare the game list. If you do not use external ntfs drives you don't need prepNTFS installed.

When you upgrade your CFW, all brews & games remain installed, you don't lose any files.

9. 135
    Turranius

Turranius Member

Hm, did not the config file for webMAN MOD change a few versions back, causing all settings to reset? I'd screenshot the "Setup" page in your current WebMan before updating just to be sure you can type it all back.

kozarovv likes this.
  10. 7,413
    bguerville

If you are updating an old wMM version, you may have to reset the wmconfig.bin file where the settings are stored.

11. 23
    Bersekz

Bersekz Member

So do I have to manually uninstall it before installing the new version, since many old files may not be overwritten?

12. 6,927
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I think that installing new version, then going to setup page, and save setting will be enough. But you can always use 127.0.0.1/delete.ps3?uninstall from ps3 browser to clean old files.

13. 7,413
    bguerville

No. You can use the updater directly. No need to uninstall.
    And don't forget you can install the wMM edition you require. The updater contains them all.
    Lite, standard, full etc...
    Check the OP of the webMAN-MOD General Information thread for more details about each edition, there is a feature list for each edition, and how to select which edition to install.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  14. 23
    Bersekz

Bersekz Member

-

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018