Help With Converting PS1 Games

Discussion in 'General PS1 Discussion' started by TheCodeMan, Jan 29, 2019.

1. 2
    TheCodeMan

TheCodeMan Forum Noob

I have a large collection of PS1 games in many different formats. I would like to convert them into the most compatible format for the most popular PS1 emulators. I have read that the best format to keep them in is BIN-CUE though I haven't been able to find out why. My preference would be a single ISO file but I don't want to risk losing any info from the image.

I have read that it is best to convert your PS1 games to eboot format, which is a single file but I'm assuming only usable in PSP emulators. Are there any good comparisons between PSP emulators running PS1 games versus PC emulators running PS1 games?

Also, any recommended utilities to convert formats like mds, cdi, cue-bin, etc?

Also it would be great to have a utility such as OPL loader that can detect PS1 games, identify and name them correctly. Does anything like this currently exist?

I'm just looking for some good info to help me make a decision on which direction I take. It seems there is less and less info on the PS1 out there and much of it is very outdated.

2. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

First of all, welcome.

As far as i know there are two formats supported to play digital ps1 games on a ps3 system:

- .BIN/.CUE (CFW)
    - .PBP (packed inside a .PKG, OFW/CFW)

An iso is not possible, the 1st track is always in mode2/form1 for ps1 games. By converting to iso it will switch to mode1.
    I've a big psx collection myself and half of it is converted to digital backups, this is my way of doing it, you've to what's best for your situation:

- Rip disc to .bin/.cue
    - Convert to .img/.cue
    - Use .img/.cue in PSX2PSP to convert it to .pbp
    - Inject CDDA tracks in EBOOT if needed
    - Convert to .pkg and resign
    - Transfer .pkg to ps3 and install

There are multiple threads here about the many ways to get it working on your ps3, feel free to ask questions when in doubt.
    But if you follow all the required steps of the tutorials big chance you wont have to :encouragement:

3. 2
    TheCodeMan

TheCodeMan Forum Noob

Thanks for all the info. Looks like ISO is out. I really wasn't looking to play these on PS3 but rather on a PC using emulation. Are you aware of any programs that will detect and identify PSX games such as OPL Manager for the PS2?

4. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

I'm kind of new to CFW so i dont know about the available options there...maybe somebody else here has. But if you go the .PKG way, when converting image to .PBP PSX2PSP will identify the game (and disc for multidisc games) for you. It wont help you out on the PS3 tho, bc you still need to enter the disc ID and game title in a .SFO file (that will be packed inside the .pkg).

But since you want to use them on a pc, retroarch with the beetle psx hw is good option. It's user friendly and based on imo most accurate psx emulator mednafen. You can use multiple formats for your games, highest compatibility is the .bin/.cue/.sbi combination. There are games with libcrypt protection or cdda tracks, the .sbi files will make sure the games run correctly.

I also have a retropie that i used for playing my psx games (before HAN), there was an option to identify games and download the correct artwork for it. I dont know if the pc version also has that option but i guess google will give you the answer :smile new:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019