Help with ps3 issues

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Saaqi, Apr 17, 2017.

1. 8
    Saaqi

Saaqi New Member

Hello, please forgive me if this is off topic but this seems to be the thread that people are still active on and are replying to.

I have just bought a used PS3 Slim CECH-2012A 8E Hong Kong model. It was modded on official 3.55 not opened and the warranty void seal is still intact.

It was running Rogero 4.55 and as soon as I got it I installed Habib 4.81 v1.02 on it. Now the temperatures of the PS3 are concerning me too much. As soon as I turn it on it is above 55c both CPU and RSX. Now without doing anything no games the temperature starts rising. I monitor with sMAN every 5 or 10 seconds it rises 1 degree C.

RSX temperature stops near 65 to 68 but CPU keeps rising. Soon it goes above 75 and the fans start blowing when fan reaches about 50% speed the temperature starts to come down to 72. Fans get low and temperature starts rising again. This cycle keeps on and on.

Is this normal or do you think I need to open it and replace the paste etc?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. 4,941
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

It was off topic in that thread so I created a new one.
    Please next time don't post off topic stuff in a thread just because it seems active. You don't need to worry about this anyway & all you will achieve is to annoy people.
    A new post will be read & answered no matter where it is posted.

If you use dynamic fan control with SMan then the fan speed will vary to keep the temps under the maximum temp setting found in SMan settings page.
    It's absolutely normal to hear fan speed variations.
    Look at the sMan settings page & tweak your maximum temp setting.

Or you can use manual mode instead of dynamic, the fan will always run at the same speed.

Having said that, on a 20xx model there should not be a big difference between CPU & RSX temps so it's possible that your thermal paste is dying or worse that the paste of your ihs needs changed. You can change the CPU paste yourself & test. If the issue remains & the ihs paste must be changed, you must get it done by a pro.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM
  3. 4,008
    atreyu187

atreyu187 PSTV Fanboy Extraordinaire Moderator Developer

Lead Veterinary Tech

Just what he said. Those temps seem high as my launch model doesn't get that high. I keep it at 30% fan speed and never go above 60&65 degrees.

4. 1,787
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

All the 2001/2501 I had were like 75-78 as their average temp without fan controlling homebrews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricardo likes this.
  5. 562
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

I have a 2101a here that doesn't go over 68 full load after an hour of playing (where I set webman at) and the fan speeds aren't terrible in any circumstance. I'm also using gelid gc extreme thermal paste for this unit (which lowered my temps about 3-4c from mx-4)

6. 4,941
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Of course, now that I read Joonie's comment, I realise I omitted to add that if you are using syscon fan mode, just like ofw, then it's normal that your temps reach 75/78C.
    For more details about syscon fan steps, look at http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Thermal
    If you want to keep your temps lower, use Sman's manual or dynamic fan mode.