PS1 Help with PSone motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Stevep, Jan 5, 2019.

1. 21
    Stevep

Stevep Forum Noob

@xXxPiKaChArUxXx @Grahf @Cypher_CG89 @Naked_Snake1995 @Bloodmoons366466
    firstly thanks for spending time for me
    1. what's the problem with a laser bought from eBay (it is the same as the one I have had in the console KSM-440BAM https://www.ebay.it/itm/KSM-440BAM-...h=item467f1b250b:g:dRoAAOSw5VFWGDOy:rk:3:pf:0), will it have same performance of the previous one; does it need to be adjusted?
    2. I feel really stuck, I just need a new motherboard and on eBay there are sales for full set, the purpose which I want to repair motherboard is that I'd like to fix it in order to avoid spending too much money, what's the best thing to do?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. 224
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Those are Chinese knock-offs. They don't work properly. FMVs stutter and load errors galore. The laser heads go out at random, too. That description is just marketing nonsense.

@Stevep: The best thing to do is to look for a PS1/One with a decent original Sony laser locally... and learn how to solder. You can use the dead PSOne as a learning tool now.

3. 21
    Stevep

Stevep Forum Noob

@Grahf @Cypher_CG89
    I bought the laser in the link above, what do you think about it?
    1. does it have same performance of the original?
    2. is it original (it's KSM-440BAM such as the previous one in my console)?
    3. where can I find a working motherboard PSone PAL SCPH-102 PM-41 (A) for cheap price?

please help :(

4. 1,075
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

use copper braid, colophan rosin flux, and your soldering iron to desolder and clean any areas that were worked.

5. 491
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    All PS1's suffered from this. look at the devwiki or the wiki pages.

You cannot market something using the original product ID if its not built the same, it would have to say replica or similar, that's called consumer fraud and Amazon would not sell it for them if it where true, never mind add it to prime.

All original PS1 suffered from dead lasers. I went through 3 in one year when the PS1 was first brought out and the same with the PSOne why?? because there was only ever one laser revision and that was to make it out of die cast metal instead of plastic so it wouldn't fail and wear down as quick from heat, and the fact that on the original pS1 it was to close to the PSU so got extra heat from these and tech was crap back then so even a knock off today uses better etch than back then because the parts are of better quality.

You can use the laser for PSOne to revive a dead original PS1 if needs be, I did anyways for mine as i was felling nostalgic and prefer the older console with all the original connections such as the serial0/1 and system link. (just my preference)

I have been around this stuff all my life, worked in the games industry myself, have family that have for over 30 years and still do on the games you ahve been playing all these years on various consoles so I know what i am talking about.

EDIT: i also mentioned that it would be easier to get another one, but some people would like to learn how to repair this sort of stuff.

6. 21
    Stevep

Stevep Forum Noob

7. 224
    Grahf

Grahf Member

All early models. Sony quickly fixed it.

The Chinese knock-offs sold online nowadays are pure garbage. It's largely why PSIO was made. The "replacements" do not work properly and nobody is producing real PS1/One laser anymore. The knock-offs are unreliable. Tested a ton of them. Not one worked like it should.
    I cannot believe you actually believe this. eBay and Amazon are full of knock-offs. Also, in case you didn't notice, they easily circumvent all of that with one word: "replacement". The definition of that word is so broad that it can mean a replica.

8. 21
    Stevep

Stevep Forum Noob

@Grahf @Cypher_CG89
    what about the laser I bought on eBay, will it have a good performance or not?

where can I get a working motherboard PSone PAL SCPH-102 PM-41 (A) for cheap price or should I fix this one?

9. 224
    Grahf

Grahf Member

It won't. All of the PS1/One laser replacements sold online nowadays are Chinese-made knock-offs of very low quality. They suffer from FMV stuttering and load errors. Some don't work at all.

You should learn to solder just in case by redoing this PSOne, but it will mostly likely not work anymore because you probably had fried it.

I can't tell you where to buy a PSOne board. I don't even know where you live. All I can say is that you have to look locally. I mean, sure, you can also look at eBay, but shipping might be too expensive and don't expect honesty from the sellers of used electronics.

10. 21
    Stevep

Stevep Forum Noob

@Grahf I've just found several announces PSone on my local eBay from sellers with "top rated plus" feedback/reputation, descriptions tells it's a guaranteed used and working console, furthermore there are even more sellers

I will contact you for more information in private message for some question, thank you so far

11. 224
    Grahf

Grahf Member

12. 573
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    All the best to you with getting a working PS.

If you're wondering about what a good solder joint is like: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems
    As for how to solder properly: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/references/how-to-solder#soldering

I used to heat the solder and sometimes it would not stick. The right way was to heat the contact region (the pad & the component leg) before applying solder quickly, which will cause the solder to attach to the heated area. You should not need too much time, like 5s would do.

The logic behind point 1 is to have a clean solder pad. Don't overdo it.

If your soldering iron is too powerful, you might need one that is of lower power (~30W) to avoid roasting the rest of the board and its components. Those with a fine tip will help when it comes to precision soldering.

13. 506
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

Got your message, from the pic I think on first page I would move to a fresh ps0ne and use that for practice, I did it will a lot of Xbox 360’s lol.
    But yeah that board looks beat. The soldering is no bueno.
    (Admin, not sure what’s up but the main page is loading all text like xml. Could be my Icrapple phone and Firefox)