How do you rebuild a DVD9 iso?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Zeonis, Jun 16, 2017.

1. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

I looked at the log on PCSX2 when running the DUB and UNDUB versions. But I did not see anything different. That is an interesting thought about the UNDUB files being created for DVD5. The UNDUB DVD9 file was definitely made properly in other respects that I can't duplicate. Apache recognizes it as a true DVD9 iso whereas if I try to rebuild a DVD9 iso Apache tells me it is not a DVD9 iso.

2. 716
    Berion

Berion Developer

Every rips from DVD9 must have patched media flag. Sonix have wrote two apps for it, maybe it's possible "unpatch it" by one of them. However, I remember that those apps often patching something which is not media check functions, so I wouldn't in Your place put to much trust in them. ;p

3. 5,496
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

@Zeonis , the .dvd file contains only a layer break. u can input the layer break manually into imgburn without the .dvd file being needed, and then it will use that same layer break for every dvd-9. this is what I did with my 360 games. 360 games have one of about three different sizes no matter what the game is, so that maybe the reason for specific layer breaks. however, I think @Berion is correct in that there's not a specific layer break for ps2 dvd-9 games. have u tried other games? I think the wild arms 1 remake, whose name escapes me atm, is a dvd-9. now, I did burn that one, and it gave me no trouble. however, I didn't play through the entire game. what happens with ur burns? black screen? failure to load? read as dvd video? maybe u mentioned that and I missed it. :-p

4. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

I just reread your post and I think you are saying some of my rebuilt ISO work with PCSX2 but none work with my PS3. That is not true. I have not tested all the ISO files I rebuilt on PCSX2 but they probably all work on there. Also, I have been successful at rebuilding DVD5 ISO files that work on my PS3. However, I have not been able to rebuild DVD9 ISO files that work on my PS3.

5. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

Since my PS3 is a Slim model I don't think you can do BD emu. That sounds like something only the backwards compatible models can do. I will see if I can make an original ISO on my PS3 though. Otherwise I could just make an original ISO using my PC.

6. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

I have not burned any DVD9 PS2 games. However, I have burned DVD5 PS2 games before. The reason I am trying to rebuild a DVD9 ISO is because the Xenosaga Episode I DVD9 USA Dubbed ISO works on my PS3 but the UNDUB DVD9 ISO does not work on my PS3. However, the UNDUB DVD5 ISO does work on my PS3 but it is 3 ISO files and I would much rather have one DVD9 ISO file. So I thought I would be able to rebuild the DVD9 ISO and get it to work. I have invested a lot of time trying to figure it out but so far I have not been able to do it. I even tried rebuilding the DVD9 Dubbed ISO because I know that one works but no luck. The time and effort I have put in has been worth it though because Xenosaga III Uncensored was not working on my PS3 so I rebuilt the ISO files and now it is working. I would not have known how to do that if not for all the work I have put in to learn.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  7. 716
    Berion

Berion Developer

@Zeonis BDEmu have nothing to do with PS2 emulation. It's build-in Blu-Ray drive emulator and without it, we couldn't mount PS3 games from directory on HDD.

Image creating only on PC is useless because it must be compared to dump made by PS3 drive which can read everything from PSX/PS2/PS3 discs - this is why You must make dump via DDA and from original disc. Any other combinations have zero sense.

8. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

Ah, that makes sense. I reread your previous post and I get what you are saying now. I will look into it. I would think a ripped ISO via PC would be the same but maybe you are right and there is a difference.

9. 716
    Berion

Berion Developer

I don't know if they are byte by byte the same, but even if yes it also tell us something important >> reason why copy doesn't work is not unreadable on PC data. So we can focus on something else. If not, it point us to direct reason why Your game doesn't work. And to confirm this, You will need launch original game in the same way as copy.

But to make sense for this test, You must make disc image by two ways:
    1. from original disc (it cannot be a copy) on PC as any other copy
    2. from original disc (it cannot be a copy) on PS3 via DDA* in MultiMAN (because if You make normal iso it will be the same as on PC so it's useless for us now)

a. go to System Information in MultiMAN, press triangle and choose "Enable Direct Disc Access".
    b. go to Settings, press triangle and choose "Expand Contents of XMMB media columns".
    c. go to Video (as I remember cannot be Game ;]), press triangle on disc icon and choose "Create ISO".

PS: It's the same process to get encrypted disc image PS3 game (exactly (?) 1:1 copy).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  10. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

Okay, so I finished doing that. I MD5 checked them and they are identical to each other and the working DVD9 ISO I was already using. The only difference is the copy made on my PC came with a 9KB MDS file and the copy from my PS3 came with a 1KB CUE file.

P.S. I was reading about how to make 3 DVD5 ISO files from a DVD9 ISO and it says the game is LBA dependent. I am not sure if that means that could be the issue but I thought I would mention it.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/backing-xenosaga-up.315760/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  11. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

I found more information on the Xenosaga Episode 1 UNDUB on a forum in a different language. It seems a patch was created to be applied to an original DVD9 ISO so that would explain why the ISO seems like an original DVD9 ISO which I am unable to duplicate.
    http://www.bau.romhacking.net.br/index.php?topic=10171.0

12. 4,348
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Ensō Tester Moderator Developer

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:

Is it applied to the same region as you have? I ask as I have a few games that will boot from say the EU region but same game from the US/JP region will not boot. So maybe the Xenosaga you have the DVD5 is say based on the US region which works but maybe the DVD9 is based off the JP image which may not be compatible. Just an idea as this thread has struck my curiosity but I don't own the gane to try to help by offering anything more then ideas.

13. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

Good question, I am not sure. I just found out more information about how to properly rebuild a PS2 DVD9 ISO. I am putting a link below but basically the person is saying you have to delete the header from the second layer ISO before combining them.

ftp://75.126.5.157/DragonWriter69/DWUndubs/PS2/Xenosaga.Episode.I.USA.UnDUB.PS2DVD9/Readme.txt

P.S. So with this new information I can try to rebuild the DVD9 ISO. I have Hex Workshop so I just need to figure out how to use it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM
    Berion likes this.
  14. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

When I delete the header from the second layer ISO and combine the layers it is now recognized by Apache as a true DVD9 ISO and when I rebuild the working USA ISO the byte count matches the original but the rebuilt ISO still won't run on my PS3. I have been trying different file orders when rebuilding but so far no luck. I don't suppose anyone has some experience with the ISO file order when rebuilding? I have heard the files have to be in the same order at the original ISO.

15. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

I figured it out! I came up with the idea to use the header from the original USA iso so that my rebuilt iso would have the same header and now it works on my PS3. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out but it was worth it in my opinion. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

pinky likes this.
  16. 5,496
    pinky

@Zeonis , I actually thought u were trying to get the game to work on the ps2. I've not tried dual layer discs on the ps2 since mine is a slim. no issues with them on the ps2 from what I remember though.

17. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

I have a PS2 Slim too and I have not encountered an issue with dual layer discs on it so far but I read about people having issues.

18. 5,496
    pinky

well, it's good this information is documented here in case someone else has that same issue.

Zeonis likes this.
  19. 35
    Zeonis

Zeonis Member

20. 5,496
    pinky

it's possible that the ps3 has the same issues as the ps2 does with dvd-9s: some people can get them to work; others can't. a lot of it has to do with how cheaply sony made those optical drives (i.e. disc read errors). I do have rogue galaxy on a disc somewhere, but I don't recall if I made it a dvd-9 or not. I think I did. back then, those discs were expensive.