Is there a bright future for the Homebrew of VITA?

Discussion in 'General PS VITA Discussion' started by Moughtony, Dec 8, 2018.

1. 3
    Moughtony

Moughtony Forum Noob

So to start things off I brought my self a vita the other day on low firmware and I permanently jailbroke it on 3.60 with Enso. I’m loving the Vita just like I did when I first got into the Homebrew scene of the PSP.

I have been doing lots of research and all I mainly see is posts about the vita dying or being dead since release:( I personally love the device and although others may agree it is dying, I believe Homebrew could bring the device back to life! I wanted to know what your thoughts are on this, do you think there is much opportunity for the VITA with Homebrew?

I have many Homebrew apps installed on my device with an SD2VITA card that has a 128GB Micro SD. I’m just worried that there isn’t going to be any more apps made? I made sure that I had all of the most popular apps(by researching the best Homebrew apps) I wasn’t really sure who the best person was to speak to about this as only one of my friends has a VITA and they didn’t even know a jailbreak existed! Im hoping there still is life for the VITA even after it is completely forgotten about by Sony.. if you could let me know down below your opinions(and also what you know) that would be great! I think the Vita still has so much potential with the help of Homebrew and I know that if we stick together as a community we can make it good like it should have been at first!

2. 2,934
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

It had good support from the homebrew community because lot of the sceners from PSP moved to PSVita
    But i guess in between PSP and PSVita they was entertained with nintendoes... and after the PSVita they have moved again to switch/3DS
    Are hackers/developers that likes portable consoles, so eventually they will move to "Playstation Portable 3" when sony releases it (or whatever is named, my sugestion after "PSvita" is "PSmorte")

I think sony should design the next portable console with a dual screen and foldable (or a foldable screen, samsung is building the first prototype smartphones with foldable screens, is a technology about to be released)
    Basically... they should copy the design of the second nintendo DS (the "lite" iirc with small bezels around the screens), the size is perfect, at that time the screen quality was meh and the bezels was not small enought, but nintendo almost nailed it with that model

Moughtony likes this.
  3. 9,558
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

there was gekihen, a competition to see who could develop the best homebrew. I think the dev who made the homebrew browser won. anyway, that was held on a number of sites including this one. also, some homebrew still use the gekihen boot screen.

I'm not sure what else is needed homebrew wise.

4. 7,735
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Still healthy and alot of homebrew on the Ps Vita / PlayStation TV

Checkout our friends over at brewology
    https://store.brewology.com/vita/whatsnew.php?lang=

There were 4 winners in 4 different catagories in the Gekihen contest but there has been over many releases since that contest.

pinky likes this.
  5. 3
    Moughtony

Moughtony Forum Noob

Yeah I definitely agree they should create a new portable to make up for the wrongs they did with the production of the vita..

6. 3
    Moughtony

Moughtony Forum Noob

Maybe the remaining developers should try creating more games for the device as it it soon to not be supported?

7. 1,571
    Berion

Berion Developer

@Moughtony Vita is slow, and now we have more easy to hack, interesting, powerful, yet unknown platform: Switch. So, it is normal that many hackers focus on another environment. Everything flowing. That's the inevitable law of the universe in every aspect.

And BTW: Vita scene rise from shit level to top hacked console level in entire console history. We have now almost everything what we need (maybe besides high quality of emulation and media players but it's because it is possible to achieve out of the box on other, cheap and open i.e Android devices, so... it's normal).

I''m very content and grateful for all of this. My PSTV from literally junk (as i.e PSC is now) turned into fantastic console. There are still secrets and field for improvements but even now, it is great dead console. ;)

So... in details, what we have today:
    • good file manager - checked
    • PFS user data decryption and encryption - checked
    • PFS game data decryption - checked
    • cartridge image mounting - checked
    • decrypted games mounting - mostly without problems
    • encrypted games mounting - checked
    • theming - checked
    • external modules support - checked
    • easy way of jailbreaking - checked
    • recovery from brick - not possible without raw internal memory dump and soldering
    • recovery from semi-brick - checked
    • repartitioning of internal chaos - checked (but risky)
    • booting to hacked environent - checked (3.60 up to 3.65)
    • CMA container RE - checked
    • per user keys dumps - mostly
    • communication with other platforms besides crappy CMA protocol - checked (FTP/Host USB)
    • homebrew and official but opensrc games - many
    • native Vita games compatibility hacks for PSTV - mostly compatible
    • remounting of partitions with rw privileges - checked
    • Mass Storage Device support (PSTV only) - checked
    • independent memory card usage (microSD adapters for GameCard port or Vita MC port) - checked
    • multi account support - checked
    • full PSP CFW - checked
    • official package installations - checked
    • emulation - not so bad...
    • media players - no
    • custom activations - ?
    Probably I forgot about something, and all of those above points we can break into more in-details sub-points. As You can see, we are controlling almost all resources. Not all consoles could say the same. ;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    kenan1098 and STLcardsWS like this.