Looking to buy a PS3 Slim to install CFW, need advice on models.

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by DONK, Jul 5, 2018.

1. 5
    DONK

DONK New Member

Hi all, need a little advice as I am looking to buy a PS3 that is compatible with CFW.

I want a PS3 slim (not super slim) but not all of those are compatible which is my issue, I can easily get one used from a store but without asking the people there for an exact model number I could get one that is incompatible.

Doing a bit of searching on the model numbers and compatibility to me it appears that the 120GB Slims are all compatible, is this correct? Just wondering if anyone here can confirm or deny this as I was unable to find an answer via Google (maybe just searched the wrong thing)

Thanks.

2. 243
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

The most reliable PS3 Slims are the CECH-2500 Series, but beware not all 2500 are CFW compatible, you have to check by the Datacode, but even that is not enough, the best is to check with MinVerChk, if its 3.56 Firmware compatible, is a hit or miss.

I had a CFW compatible 3.40, 2504 Series, with datacode 0C, launched in mid-2010/2011.

Everything below 2500 Series, like 2000 Series Slim, are all hackable ;)

3. 5
    DONK

DONK New Member

Yes I would like a 2500 but seeing that some may be incompatible is a issue for me as I doubt the store would let me run MinVerChk in the store on it and returning them for some made up reason could be an issue too.

Looking online the 120GB Slims all seem compatible which is the one I would get to avoid the hassle of having to get another.

4. 243
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Well, i would stick to 2000 Series then, if you want to avoid the hassle, but if you want a 2500, is a shot in the dark, you need a console from 2010, later 2011 revisions, are almost 3.60 firmware from factory.

I belive my 2504B was bundled with Battlefield 3 back in 2011, but it died this year, undisclosed reasons

5. 447
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I have a 2504 date code 1A. It's compatible. But I prefer the 21xx.

6. 41
    unseen

unseen Member

Why exactly?

7. 243
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Because, a 2100 is basically a 2500 with lower Factory Firmware, it has the same Nm Process for both CELL and RSX, afaik! Less hassle!

If you get a 2100 Series, is guarantee to be CFW compatible, while a 2500 Series is really a hit or miss situation.

Spawn likes this.
  8. 41
    unseen

unseen Member

Ah ok. When I bought my 2500/1A, I was pretty confident it will be exploitable. Turned out to be 3.5

9. 6,486
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    2100 have better cooling, as this model is kind of transition model. And $ony used more heavy heat spreader. At the second hand 2500 have integrated BD daughterboard, so if your BD drive will die it won't affect launching homebrew (no need for no-BD CFW).

But to be honest. You are buying used console, and have no idea how previous owner used it. It can be clean, and shiny, and overheated long time ago. You can also find dirty/dusty consoles that will be in better shape than others. Guest of luck.

About exploitable models, all CECH 2100 are exploitable, CECH2500 need to have Datacode 1A or lower, 1B is hit or miss, 1C is not exploitable for installing CFW.

There are some VERY rare exceptions from this rule, but i doubt you will find them.

Spawn likes this.
  10. 447
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on both 21xx and 25xx exploitable consoles. :)

Currently awaiting a second 21xx to be delivered.

11. 41
    unseen

unseen Member

And what about 2000? The cooling is worst than both on 2100 and 2500?

12. 1,822
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The heatsink metal block of all slims are compatibles as far i know (geometrically all them fits in the other models)... except CECH-30xx where they reduced it
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Type_5
    The manufacturing is different thought... it looks like this was ordered to china, because china is one of the biggest metalworks exporter globally (they makes melted steel parts cheap and good, screwdrivers, knifes, bolts, and things like that)
    The point is sony was doing tests with this heatsinks, trying different ideas to reduce costs, or trying different metalworks manufacturers, etc... just note there are only 3 PS3 models compatibles with this heatsinks, but there are 5 different heatsinks. More heatsinks than PS3 models, wtf... they was using a different heatsink for every region of the world ?... or they was swapping heatsinks manufacturers every 3 months ?, this was something weird, note the production lifetime of PS3 slims:
    CECH-20xx = 6 months
    CECH-21xx = 6 months
    CECH-25xx = 12 months

They "updated" the heatskink along this time 5 times (or more)

For PS3 slims sony was using several heatskink models... up to 5 as far i could find, and are posted in wiki (but probably more)
    The differences are minor... i cant tell because i never had them in my hands or compared them working, but visually looks like the oldest ones was better
    There is a model without the copper heat pipes though (this one should be avoided i guess because is the cheapest to manufacture)

The bigger reason why CECH-20xx is hotter than CECH-21xx is because it had a RSX manufactured in 65nm
    In CECH-21xx they started manufacturing the RSX in 45nm... is more efficient and generates less heat
    And the PSU watts was reduced too

Here you can see an overview of the important PS3 parts to compare them
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:SKU_Models

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  13. 41
    unseen

unseen Member

That clarifies my question. Thanks.

14. 5
    DONK

DONK New Member

Ok, so I'm gonna try pick one up tomorrow and I'm just gonna ask them if they can give me a CECH-21XX model as I wanna install CFW onto it.

15. 1,822
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

My suggestion is to dont mention CFW because there is no need for it, just tell them you want that exact model because you did read in internet that is better
    You know... "the customer is always right", they should not annoy you much with questions is they wants to make a sell :)

Actually... if tyou want to try to get "the big prize" you can tell them you want a CECH-25xx with a lower "datecode"
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Datecode
    If they asks you "wtf is a datecode" tell them is a code that appears on a sticker at bottom of the console... they needs to allow you to see it... otherway there is no deal

Maybe they thinks you are paranoid, or a pirate, or a geek, or a freak, or someone lied to you and convinced to do stupid things... but who cares what they thinks ?, is just few minutes :P

DeViL303 likes this.
  16. 5
    DONK

DONK New Member

This store really doesn't care, they will just say they won't be able to warranty it if I do. Pretty much the best reason I can give them to check for an exact model. If they say no I will simply walk out the door.

17. 447
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Check the warranty sticker tho. I once got a 25xx late date code inside a 21xx casing. Not that fun to find out when trying to exploit. :(

18. 5
    DONK

DONK New Member

Picked one up, sadly was a 20XX but they warranty them for 2 years. Got Rebug installed and ready to go now.

19. 8,288
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

you can remove and reapply a warranty sticker with a hair dryer. and, they sell warranty stickers on ebay. lol at least, that's how it is with the 360. I assume the ps3 is no different. I did try this using a hair dryer. it was working 'til it burned out. lol warning: don't use a hair dryer via a power strip. it's much too taxing. ;)

Spawn likes this.