Looking to clear some confusion i have about running games from a external drive on multiman.

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by Bloodmoons366466, Nov 9, 2018.

1. 462
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

So just to be sure we are on the same page,i want to be able to "RUN" the games that are over 4gb from the external harddrive on multiman,not install files bigger than 4gb,otherwise i would of just used ftp to transfer it over and install them internally.

So i see people doing it two ways........

The first way i see it is what has me extremly confused.They say to format to fat32 and to put the games in a folder.What my mind cant wrap around is how they are able to have blackops on a fat32 device which i asume is over 4gb in folder format,and not have to install it as a pkg file split for internal installation.You just press refresh and it comes up as usb but on fat32.How is this possible?

The second way is to just format the external hdd to ntfs format and then just enable ntfs reading on multiman.Looks simple enough,but im not sure if it allows you to play the games straight from the external drive like how fat32 does without needing to install anything internally.

2. 9,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

iirc, mm creates a cache on the internal hdd where it merges the .xx666 files from split4g. this can be cleared in mm settings. I don't know about ntfs though as I've never used that format.

3. 462
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

I see.I was confused since i forgot the files inside the folder format arent over 4gb and are seprate pieces.Thats why it works on fat32.If it was 1 big iso file then that would be a diffrent story.Now i understand.

4. 9,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I'm not sure if, after merging, it leaves those parts on your external hdd, but the whole thing seems kinda pointless. you might as well put the entire game on the internal hdd.