ManaGunZ - PS3 Backup Manager by Zar v1.29

A feature rich backup Manager (& More) by Zar (Iris Manager Fork)

1. 409
    Zar

Zar Developer

This was really weird, I never put this icon at the top-right corner oO. It was always at the bot-left Indeed, it need to be moved up.

I won't remove it because i like it, sry ;) . But I can add the "TV screen test" option inside the Adjust Screen option. There is a lot "TV screen test", if you choose one, i'll add it for the next update.

Did you load a theme ? By default, there isn't any theme loaded. I included 4 'ugly' XMB theme inside the pkg.

Nice bug.
    It already fixed for the next update.

(In the v1.28, you can edit the color by pressing 2 time 'X', I added a invisible useless submenu)

I have no idea what's happening. I deeply tested and fixed this option. I don't have any issue now... My main trouble is when I load a new theme I have reloaded every ICON0 & Covers... but as it's in a background task now, so it's not a big deal...

You can have a look on PIC1 by pressing the button R1 with the theme "List" and "Grid".

That's because I didn't want to bother. When it apply a filter some parameters change and instead of 'recalculate' them... i have just 'reinitialised' it. I don't know if i'm clear, long story short, i was lazy :p
    I'll try to fix it for the next update.

I merged 2 of ur quote because the 1st quote/bug is the consequence of the second quote/bug.

When it read the settings it doesn't accept a "false" value of the setting "payload", and so if it's set to "iris" for a PS3 iso, it'll change it to cobra/mamba.

So, if I fix the second bug it will fix the first one.

It's already fixed for the next update.

+1, it's fixed.

Done.

Agree, I removed the option "use covers".

This is a recurrent question :
    'Patch EBOOT' is just a way of bypassing 1 check on the firmware version. It avoid the Error 80010009.
    Multiman is doing it when it's necessary : When the system version is older than the EBOOT version then just before it mount the game you have this message : http://i58.tinypic.com/28mnv4g.jpg (this isn't me in the picture :)). Perhaps, i should do the same....
    So, this option change 1 value in the EBOOT.

Re-sign, do this => EBOOT.BIN[X.XX] -> EBOOT.elf -> EBOOT.BIN [4.21]

It's not related to debug.

Hmm... I don't know... let me think about it...

And finally about ur issue in fw 4.46, i need to reproduce it, can you tell me what is your firmware ?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. 718
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

I didnt meant to remove the actual screen adjustment functions, but to add an image at the background that could be used to calibrate TV colors, when i wrote it i had in mind something like this
    http://krazyblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/6291.png
    But now searching at google i dont see there are so many to choose, and are going to look a bit weird in managunz (visually), but in the practise are handy, at this point i dont remember any PS3 homebrew with it, and fits well with a backup manager in the sense that a backup manager is related with games and before starting the game you can fine-tune the TV

If you like it i think me or someone can make a calibration image that matches better with managunz (maybe with the managunz bullet logo somewhere, dunno), but this needs a bit of creativity, at this point i dont have any good idea of how to make it

I know, i was looking at source code files and i expected by default with the "XMB" look it was going to load the theme 01 with that folders with the playstation names on top, and the blue background, but doesnt appears, is everything black after a fresh install of managunz, not sure why, i need to check a bit more what is happening, but it seems there are other images missing from other "UI" (i dont see any background in any theme)

Is ok, i dont consider it a problem or a bug, is mostlly an unexpected behaviour but doesnt have importance, is ok this way (and i think all users will understand why this happens)

I thought it could be a debug resigning because i was looking for the error code in psdevwiki, i never used that feature ever so i never knew what is the purpose
    It could be better if it could be renamed to something more intuitive, but i cant suggest anything

About the "mount mode" menu... no need to simplify this now, i know is not so easy, it was just an idea to try to simplify it in groups with some kind of hierarchy (so items on top of the hierarchy disables/enables items at bottom) but is not going to work very well as i suggested

Anyway... i dont get the overall idea of how many combinations there are in total, i been thinking in making a diagram with arows and stuff XD (this kind of diagram could be useful for the users, even could be included as one of the pages of a manual)
    But to make that diagram in an accurate way only is posible by understanding the code and how functions are selected

Im not asking you to make the diagram, just talking about it so you keep the idea, maybe eventually i will make one to show to you so you can tell me if is correct

Rebug 4.46 lite, tested 2 PS3 games from internal hdd, one in ISO and the other in JB
    The interesting detail is both crashed the console in the same way

3. 718
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

@Zar forget about the problems about the "missing resources" i mentioned with themes, my fault, it seems are working fine
    I just realized what was confusing me. The button sequence needed to load the resource files is this:
    Start Settings---> Theme settings---> Themes---> cross enter---> cross load

In that sequence... at the time of pressing "cross enter" the user can select a theme from the list of available themes
    After selecting the theme, if you press "circle back" at that point... the selected theme is saved correctlly... but is not applyed
    Is needed to press that "cross load" at the end for the resource files to load... otherway if you dont press the "cross load" nothing changes

This confused me a bit (and i guess is going to confuse others users too), if there is some good reason to have that "cross load" action at the end keep it (im just guessing maybe is needed for the other theme functions related with extracting resources from official themes or multiman format)
    But personally i think it could be better if the resources are loaded automatically at the time of pressing the "cross enter" (to choose the theme), at that point the resources could be loaded automatically without the need to press the "cross load"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. 409
    Zar

Zar Developer

I have 2 solution to make it more 'easy' :

- It load every themes in memory when the homebrew is launched.
    PRO : everytime the user change the value of theme the theme is instantly applied
    CON : it increase the loading time.
    CON : it increase the mem used - > limited number of theme.

- It load the theme everytime the user change the value of theme.
    PRO : unlimited number of theme
    CON : we will have to wait the end of the loading everytime we change the theme. To load P3T dynamic theme, it 'convert it' to MGZ format and this can take few minutes, if you have several themes you have to wait too much...

I don't see any other solution.

I think the solution i'm using is the best one... this option is probably the one I most modified and spent time on it. I even did some modification on it, yesterday :p

5. 718
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

I see, if i had to choose maybe i would choose the second option, the delay is a problem but you have that progress bar so the user knows what is happening

But now that i understand it a bit better im thinking if it could be an alternative way... if i where you by now i would not change it too much at this point... imo this part related with theme selection is not perfect but is working fine

The bigger problem at this point in my oppinion is after a fresh install of managunz there is no theme loaded, so every place where it could display a resource is completly black
    Is a bit deception for new users that are not aware how to apply themes, afer a fresh install managunz looks a bit plane (no much visual eyecandy)

Btw, i been thinking (for lot time ago) to make some images for managunz, there is something special you need ?

And another btw... the other day (while lurking google about other stuff) i found this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_texture
    Maybe this could be implemented in managunz ? (to make backgrounds, with metalic, plastic, and fractal textures mostlly)... some of the variables can be exposed in the theme settings of managunz, this way the user can change and generate different textures
    I dont know much about this kind of projects, but in first google searches i found something like this
    http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/examples/textures/
    P.S.
    And additionally you could animate some of the variables values, so the backgrounds will be "dynamic" with movement, maybe this is going to be a bit overkill because could affect the performance, but well, the user decides if using this feature

6. 409
    Zar

Zar Developer

Yep, I can use a default theme.

I think I can include any lib in C/C++ if the dependence of the libs are included in psl1ght or compilable with psl1ght.

But for some mysterious reason sometimes, it's just don't work, everything is compiled just fine and when i launch the homebrew I have a blackscreen. I had this kind of crash when i tried to include DevIL http://openil.sourceforge.net/ to convert gtf to png. I finally took imagemagick to do it.

I'm not a pro of texture, i'll probably not enough skilled to display texture from libnoise on the screen. I already tryed to display DDS texture without success. I know how i can display texture from PNG and JPG only because Estwald explained how to.
    Man, do not expect too much from me ^^'. I started learning C 2 years ago with google as teacher...

Now, I'm going to focus on PS1/PSP menu.

Badboy likes this.
  7. 718
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Dont worry im just throwing ideas about the visual look, and talking about the small details that made me doubt as a feedback of the common problems i think users are going to have
    I would like to help you with the coding, but i just know the basics of C/C++, im not skilled and the amount of code scares me a bit

Btw, the theme color selector (that window with the color sliders) i found it a bit small, is hard to notice the color with that tiny color squares, i think is better to make the color squares bigger, or the whole window itself

-------------------
    And thanks for your interest with what i been talking about in my last messages, i will wait for a new version to see if the fix about the payload selection with PS3 JB games fixed also the game loading problems in 4.46

Edit:
    Before i forget... last couple of details related with themes...
    In the theme selector when clicking in "square change" the counter changes in decreasing order... lets say... if the actual selected theme is "04" when clicking in "square change" it changes to "03"... and then to "02" and so on. I think this selection order could be reversed
    Iirc... this happens too in the "grid" UI in the option "number of columns"

Also... in the path USRDIR/GUI/<UI>/... the folders of the themes uses the numbers "01", "02", "03", etc... but under the "List" UI there is a theme folder named "00". Is better to rename it to "04" this way all themes starts counting from "01"

Zar likes this.
  8. 409
    Zar

Zar Developer

I think i understand why u had some trouble.
    It's because the square to change value is a new feature from the v1.28... in the previous version we must enter to the submenu with cross button to change the value, or to do something else like loading the theme, or deleting it.

Then I added this button to change some values faster, especially when there is only "Yes" or "No". But I added it to everyoption, wihtout thinking.
    So, i'm going to disable square with the option theme because you are rirght, changing the value without loading the theme is confusing...

BTW, square decrease the value and triangle increase the value, i didn't want to overcrowd the screen with to much indication, so there is just square.

sandungas likes this.
  9. 718
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Hmm, yes i guess at some point i did that, the other day at the time i wrote the big wall of text reporting small problems i was not aware that is mandatory to press the "cross load" at the end of the sequence to select a new theme, i was entering the submenu (with the arrows up/down), but not pressing the "cross load" after changing it so nothing was loaded
    But i guess at some point i tryed to change them as you say, with the "square change" without entering the submenu (so the indication "cross load" doesnt even appears... so nothing is loaded)

I think at this point you have caught all the small problems i was mentioning about those selectors, the only one i still have a doubt is how to make obvious for the user that is absolutelly needed to press the "cross load" at the end of the sequence when choosing a theme
    Maybe at this point you have changed something in the code or imagined a way, but im thinking maybe there is an easy solution

The real problem is when the user changes the theme this value is saved at the time of chaging it, even before pressing the "cross load"... so the solution is to not save the value at that point
    If the user enters that menu changes the value and exits without pressing the "cross load" then you could reset the value to the previous state
    This is annoying enought for the user to realize that is needed to enter the menu again and press the "cross load" after changing something (this is the point where you think "damn what i just changed has not been saved") and after that point you learn the lesson, this annoyance happens in lot of games, people is used to it :)
    In other words... only save the value after pressing the "cross load"... actually this text could be renamed to something ike "load and save"

Btw, another detail (i cant stop)... that arrows used in the submenu that actually aims to up/down are used in the settings menu of lot of games... but uses to be horizontal to left/right
    Actually, the way are located now up/down overlaps a bit with the option before/after the one we are changing, there is a small problem of pixels overlapped right now
    If you place the arrows horizontally left/right this problem about pixels overlapped will be solved and i think will look more standard, additionally i think will be better mapped. Top/down to select the setting you want to change and left/right to change the value, is more intuitive imo

Ok, now i get why square decreases values... is because is working in combination with the position of the triangle "on top"... and "top" is to increase... so square is "down" :)

Personally i would remove triangle and keep only square to increase (or remove both and make the changes with left/right arrows as suggested before), the feature of being able to increase/decrease with 2 buttons is fine, but i agree with you is better to use the minimal buttons posible, not only because there is not much room at bottom to indicate how works each button... but because in most cases there are only needed a few buttons
    The most simplifyed an interface is will be more intuitive and easyer to use (no need to remember anything, personally i hate hidden button combos because this reason)

Following this idea i would consider changing all the "cross change", "cross enter" and other cross text variants to a generic "cross select" (like in games settings too, hehehe)
    In game settings menus there are usually only 2 button indications at bottom of the screen... "cross select" and "circle back"

And this takes me to another suggestion... i think there is no need to have the indication "hold circle back to XMB" in managunz games menu, the feature is fine (and the idea of the countdown is pretty cool) but the problem is the texts at bottom of games menu becomes longer (harder to read, less intuitive, increases dirtyness)
    Everybody knows how to exit a game/app (by pressing "PS" button and selecting the option "quit game" from ingame XMB game column), so removing that option is not going to make any harm, the user will still be able to exit managunz by the official way

------------
    Edit:
    How works the image BG_TITLE.PNG for a "Flow" theme ?
    I prepared a custom flow theme and included a 300x100 pixels png image for it (as a test to try to find where is used) but is not displayed

And another problem report, this time related with the side menu... it seems when you have a custom theme aplyed and you are in main managunz screen with all games displayed (so background is BG.PNG)... if you press triangle to make appear the side menu it suddenlly displays BGS.JPG for a milisecond (and then displays BG.PNG again)
    It happens so fast that is hardly notable... i think the reason why i noticed it is because the background images i was using are big (around 2mb each) so it takes time to load them, even it can be seen the "progress bar/bullet" on top sudenlly
    This happens only when having the side menu enabled of course
    I can imagine is happening because the side menu shares code with the standard/previous game config display at full screen that uses the BGS.JPG, but im just mentioning incase you find a way to avoid this, is not much important and is not notable in most of the themes

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. 36
    Derf Jagged

Derf Jagged Member

11. 5,012
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can use patches from our collection on your ISO: http://www.psx-place.com/resources/categories/widescreen-patches.40/ (or patch iso by yourself). Also you can look for patches in .pnach format, then apply them using managunz options. :)

Edit: I forget that zar added WS patches to managunz.. Just use widescreen option, patches are from pcsx2 site. Now is time to add 60 fps patches. ;)

Derf Jagged likes this.
  12. 36
    Derf Jagged

Derf Jagged Member

Oh cool! Had no idea it was a feature already. Been a while since I've used it because I've been playing a lot of Xbox.

Cheers!

13. 3
    Lordgoku

Lordgoku New Member

Hi. I have a problem, when I try to open the game menu (triangle button) on my ps2/psx games nothing happens,

14. 409
    Zar

Zar Developer

PS1/PSP game menu aren't included yet but you probably had a pop up notification "todo" ?
    I already added it for the next update.

DeViL303 and Badboy like this.
  15. 63
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

Zar , can you inplement a faster scroll through the results of the IRD check ? Also , a coverflow theme would be nice ( like in Wiiflow )

16. 409
    Zar

Zar Developer

To manage speed of scrolling everywhere use R2 : R2+up / R2+left / ...

About the wiiflow, you can use covers in MGZ you just have to active the option in settings.

But to do something nice in 3D like in wiiflow, it's something else ;) . I cannot promise anything but I'm going to try...

kozarovv, DeViL303 and bguerville like this.
  17. 718
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Couple of small suggestions related with the filemanager

-overwrite confirmation dialog (with a yes/no)
    When copying a file to a path where exists another file with the same name... the copy operation is made fine without any advise, but i miss that "overwrite confimation"
    I was trying with a file but i guess with folders happens the same

-"Create new folder" should open the OSK to enter the name
    In the actual version it creates a folder with the default name "New_Folder"... is ok, but i think is better to force the user to enter the name with the OSK... so the folder is not created until a name is given for it

Zar likes this.
  18. 6
    chicco33

chicco33 New Member

@Zar: can you fix this backup manager to work on Rogero 4.46 CFW? It freeze when i try to load a Ps2 iso from external hdd?(Atelier Iris) I got black screen.

19. 409
    Zar

Zar Developer

The version 1.28 have a lot of bug and even more in old firmware like 4.46.I suggest you to wait the next update It fixed.

But PS2 backup isn't working in external, it works only if the backup is stored in the infernal HDD.

20. 6
    chicco33

chicco33 New Member

Oh i see. So, Ps3, Ps1 and PSP games working great from external HDD too, but the Ps2 backups work only from internal? Am i right?
    Btw im waiting for the next update because i dont wanna change CFW, but this manager looks promising. The main reason for me to use your manager is im a big emulator fan and im playin with Ps1,PSP and PS2 games only on my Ps3. (seriosly i dont care the Ps3 games) And your manager has lot of support for emulation. So keep up the good works and thanks for your efforts. I have some question:
    - Could you add the Ps2 60 fps hacks to the next release? And could you add the "copy to internal and play" option when im on a Ps2 game cover? Advance flag option would be great in the Ps2 config manager too.
    - Will be any improvement, development about Ps2 Config manager in the future? A database for custom flags would be nice.
    Thanks to emulator support your backup manager may be the best manager out there very soon :)

sanusi and Zar like this.