Mythbusting: The truth about Playstation 3 cooling

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by kozarovv, Sep 5, 2015.

1. 4,808
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I found an interesing article that "flake" (i have no idea who is that guy but he know what he talk about) made not so long time ago.

Mythbusting: The truth about Playstation 3 cooling - Flake's blog - Tweakblogs - Tweakers

All is about cooling PS3, advantages, disadvantages of sony solutions in cooling system. Is interesing article for people like me, maybe you also enjoy it. You can find there a lot of professional tips about maintenance your console. Sad part is that article still is actual also for PS4, but this is only my opinion. You can find there also some tips about changing paste under IHS, and some helpful tools names. For me is nice piece of knowledge and I think is good to public it here.

Disclaimer:

2. 627
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Good read, overall is very detailed and i like his attitude of doubting about everything, i added the link to wiki IHS removal - PS3 Developer wiki (is an empty page i created the other day because i think it was needed)
    There are some things that are open to discussion though
    The problem i see is in all his first attempts with the fats he was trying to reduce the "jetfighter mode" and this is not a good way of focusing in the problem because a good part of it is caused by the fan speed settings predefined inside syscon

In fats ps3 models, syscon only does 2 or 3 speed changes... the starting speed (from ambient) is too slow... and the first speed change happens over 70º (way too big)
    In the practise what happens if you start from ambient temperature... is the PS3 starts heating normally but doesnt changes the speed until reaching 70ºC... this is when enters the "jetfight mode"
    It can be seen in this table, the measures zecoxaco made with a CECHC Thermal - PS3 Developer wiki
    Sadlly there are not more tests reports from fats... but syscon models changed too a couple of times before the PS3 slims appeared so maybe newer fats does this fan controll in a different way

In slims the fan control made by syscon is very different.... slims has lot of speed changes predefined inside syscon (i could meassure up to 10 speed changes as can be seen in the table from my CECH-25xx, i stopped the test on 73ºC because i didnt wanted to overheat more my PS3 but im pretty sure there are more speed changes in slims), and the speed values are much more stepped

----
    So in few words... he is right when pointing at the thermal paste under IHS as the bigger problem of PS3 overheating... but for fats there is an additional problem because the way syscon is controlling the fan is stupid, is not a variable controll in real time is more like a dumbifyed "2 speeds control"

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  3. 128
    epicboy

epicboy Member

He mentioned some website that sold the "ihsbuster". Anyone know where to buy them and/or if they're legit?

4. 4,348
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Ensō Tester Moderator Developer

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:
    Good read as my newly fixed $110 PS4 just arrived and I need to pay thermal paste to get it back up and running. Still can't believe I got it for $70 and HDMI repaired with one year parts and labor for $40!! Told the guy I was buying it from just to fix it for cheap as he lost his receipt and Sony wouldn't fix it for less then $150. Tried to tell him I just bought the extended warranty off PSN for $60 and they fixed mine that was outside of Sony's one hear to repair my HDMI port. What did he do with the $70? Bought an Xbox 360 Xenon. What a moron!! I gladly purchased it for $70 and got an extra PSTV for $30. Was worth it to me as my first DS4 analog kept hanging to the right.

5. 4,808
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    IHS buster is very good tool, my friend have one of them. But for now you can buy it only from second hand, production is over.

6. 627
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

The IHS buster looks fine, but the price was abusive, the most expensive part of it to manufacture is the grip... and meh... we dont care about the grip
    Better try to find a tool like this File:Oil paint spatula.jpg - PS3 Developer wiki

The magic word to search for this kind of tool is "spatula", there are lot of types used for lot of things, probably you can find it at your town for cheap, but before buying it check how thin it is, and the edges all around
    If you buy one like in the photo i posted probably the edges are rounded because is intented to "paint" with it over a cloth/picture surface... if are not rounded you will need to sandpaper it

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  7. 1,308
    Tranced

Tranced Programmer Administrator

Programmer
    That is exactly what I need to remove the IHS from my fatty.