PS3 New COBRA Feature [stage2.bin] by deank: Play Games/Media from Burned Optical Media

Discussion in 'PS3 News' started by STLcardsWS, Jan 29, 2017.

By STLcardsWS on Jan 29, 2017 at 2:40 AM
  1. 7,619
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

UPDATE: FERROX COBRA (w/ 7.50 Cobra is also supported)
    Developer @deank has followed up the very much improved NTFS External HDD Support in webMAN, which another great release, this time around a new feature for the Cobra Payload Currently this release of (stage2.bin) only supports Habib's 4.81 STARBUCKS (v1.02 ) w/ COBRA 7.50 CFW & 4.81 FERROX (v1.02) COBRA 7.50 but we should see other CFW such as REBUG supporting this new changes that now give you the ability to play your Games / Media from Burned Optical Media, checkout all the media types deanks has tested and confirmed working.

Want a sneak peak of a Test feature in webMAN? If so checkout deank utilizing a recent source code release (from mysis) that helps webMAN check that unrelated development (from this article) here

CobraCFWTools.PNG

• I tested it thoroughly to make sure nothing is broken and nothing was :)

Original discs:

• PS3 Game Disc - OK
      • PS2 Game Disc - OK
      • PS1 Game Disc - OK
      • Blu-ray Disc - OK
      • DVD Video - OK

Burned discs:
      • PS3 Game (DVD-R SL/DL)
      • PS2 Game (DVD-R)
      • PS2 Game (CD-R)
      • PS1 Game (CD-R)
      • AVCHD Disc (DVD-R SL/DL)
      • DVD-Video (DVD-R)
      • Data Disc (DVD-R)
      • Data Disc (CD-R)

@Joonie @habib This is a firmware feature and can't be added to applications, so it will be nice if it is included in the next Cobra revision.

The only changes are in storage_ext.c (which is firmware independent) in functions related to disc authentication/identification.

PS3 games can be burned to regular CD-R, DVD-R SL/DL, BD-R SL/DL, BD-RE :)

There is no need for game manager (multiMAN/IRIS/etc) or for webMAN/MOD when launching PS3 games from burned discs. The only requirement is that the disc is properly created (unencrypted, from proper ISO or from game folder using genps3iso) - the only check is that at sector 16 (0x10) offset 0x28 there must be a "PS3VOLUME" string.

If anyone wants to test it only on @habib's cex cfw 4.81 v1.02 cobra 7.5 (replace stage2.bin in /dev_blind/sys): http://deanbg.com/cobra_stage2_cex_cfw_habib_481_v102_cobra750.zip

BD-R/RE discs are now much cheaper than 7 years ago, so this feature could be really useful for people who want to backup their collection on optical media and play it at any time without fiddling with usb drives, network streams or ftp. :) Also it achieves 100% compatibility of all games released to date.

Dean

• via Alexander

Download(s):

Source: psx-place.com / (2)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    ZeroOne, T.A.U, Verzantgray and 12 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PS3 News' started by STLcardsWS, Jan 29, 2017.

1. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      Added your stage2 for Ferrox @Alexander , Thanks
    2. bigbossu
      bigbossu
      This is huge, amazing its all I can say.
      Thanks deank
      Phil, WTF-IGO and DeViL303 like this.
    3. deank
      deank
      :) Just fix the news - it is not about webMAN MOD - just plain old webMAN :)
      T.A.U, Johnnie and STLcardsWS like this.
    4. kozarovv
      kozarovv
      Done :)
      T.A.U, WTF-IGO, STLcardsWS and 2 others like this.
    5. Fuzion9
      Fuzion9
      Amazing work :) Does this mean None PS2 backward compatible consoles are capable of playing PS2 original/backup discs now?
    6. tonybologna
      tonybologna
      This is awesome! Totally awesome is all I can say.
    7. Drag
      Drag
      I couldn't play ps2 backup disk in FERROX COBRA
    8. bguerville
      bguerville
      BC consoles can play both, as long as the PS2 game is compatible with emulation of course.
      Non-BC cannot due to netemu.

Have you made sure the PS2 game you used is compatible? Does it play as ISO?
      Did you reboot the ps3 after swapping stage2.bin? Are you using the latest Ferrox 1.02?
      Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
      T.A.U and WTF-IGO like this.
    9. kozarovv
      kozarovv
      I think that is wrong. Disc will be just recognized correctly, but still will be unplayable on netemu.To archieve thing like this someone need to write cobra for ps2_netemu LV2.
      T.A.U and WTF-IGO like this.
    10. Drag
      Drag
      FREROX 1.02 restarted after changing stage2.bin
      resident evil outbreak file 2
    11. bguerville
      bguerville
      What about the other questions?
    12. Drag
      Drag
      I'm using the latest ferrox.
      The game works in iso perfectly.
      Restarted after changing stage2.bin
    13. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      My mistake, so used to writing webMAN MOD i guess.
    14. bguerville
      bguerville
      You are correct, I edited the post... Duhhh.. Lol
    15. atreyu187
      atreyu187
      Verbatim DVD+R DL media confirmed as well as high capacity CDR disc. 99 & 100min disc (870mb & 900mb disc) I tested and confirmed working myself.
      T.A.U, WTF-IGO, deank and 4 others like this.
    16. Fuzion9
      Fuzion9
      Have you tested ps2 titles on a non BC console too?
    17. Joonie
      Joonie
      That doesn't work due to netemu's missing support for optical media.

3.55's ps2_softemu did though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    18. bguerville
      bguerville
      There's no need, it won't work.
      Like Joonie just said, the easiest way would be to get softemu to work in 4.xx... For the moment, it's not the case.
      T.A.U, WTF-IGO and Fuzion9 like this.
    19. Fuzion9
      Fuzion9
      Thanks, it wasn't clear in the description & I was just wondering. No loss though I have a PS2 phat rocking the internal hdd softmod :)