PS3 Official Firmware 4.81 Exploit - Software Downgrader & More Incoming! Could SuperSlim be hacked?

Discussion in 'PS3 News' started by STLcardsWS, Nov 9, 2017.

By STLcardsWS on Nov 9, 2017 at 6:45 PM
  1. 6,195
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

{NOTICE: OFFICIAL FIRMWARE 4.82 has been Released by SONY, DO NOT UPDATE}
    It was nearly 7 years ago since we have seen a PS3 Official Firmware Exploited (3.55 being the last), which predates many PS3 models and thus why those later Slim & SuperSlim models could never install Custom Firmware (CFW) and/or Downgrade. However that could all change as a team of three have been developing a new project
    (4.81 OFW Exploit) called PS3Xploit. The "Unhackable PS3 models" will be a term of the past, but the exploits not quite there yet but the possibility of a HENkaku (vita) style hack is very plausible. Currently the exploit has allowed for access to enable Flash dumps on all consoles, Then Write access to Flash, unhackables (25xx +) will not be able to write but all previous PS3 will so that means Goodbye Hardware Flashers and Hello Software Downgradrs. The team is consisting of psx-place's very own @bguerville, @esc0rtd3w and W form the team behind PS3Xploit.

The theory behind the project started off when bguerville was looking through some of the webkit source code (for unrelated research) and stumbled on a discovery and a discussion here on the psx-place forums was formed with theories on how the PS3 could be attacked with his findings. As time passed the team formed and an idea became a full-fledged project in development, A request came to temporary remove the said discussion as the idea spawned a project with alot of potential. Sadly this is not ready for release quite yet (but soon), while we know it is working there is additional development needed to make this complete. The team has a goal of 2018 (first Q1) target for the release of the exploit.

PS3 SuperSlim.jpg

Recently team member esc0rtd3w announced the tentative release date on another forum and it seemed some were so grateful they decided to intrude and breach his MEGA account and leak what they thought was the exploit / key component but was only a small puzzle piece of the entire thing and quite useless itself . While the good news it did not harm the project or discourage the development team behind Ps3Xploit. However esc0rtd3w did lose some personal files and also the community lost the huge collection of NoPSN Apps for the PS3. But don't cancel those subscription service's just yet, as esc0rtd3w is in the process of re-uploading the collection, you can follow the progress here .

Also, I have been personally told by the team that some of the details being reported elsewhere are not 100% accurate, but rest assured we have first-hand information about this upcoming exploit and we will set the record straight and keep you flowing with the facts as they become available. bguerville has provided us with some details about this release and also tells us about what they plan to release first and that is coming in the next 24 hours in the form of a IDPS Dumper for 4.81 (All PS3 Models). (UPDATE >> Released)

Additional details via @bguerville
    (NOTICE - Please Read ALL TABS contains IMPORTANT Details about the project !!! )

• I started investigating the ps3 webkit about 6/7 months, but at the time, it was only to gather information, I had no idea I would eventually be the one working on it!

End of August, I gave the information I had to esc0rtd3w & expected he would work on it alone. However, he knew nothing about webkit exploitation & he started to collaborate with W. By hijacking webkit, we inherit its privileges which means we are root & we get access to lv2 syscalls. However the ps3 OS is protected by NX (No eXecute is the bsd/linux equivalent of DEP on Windows), no address randomisation though. Executing our own payload is made impossible by NX but we can still execute code despite NX using ROP (Return Oriented Programming).

The principle is simple, select snippets from the system code (snippets like these are called gadgets) & assemble them so execution jumps from one gadget to the next until the task we planned is done. It requires providing values/parameters & offsetting to each gadget instruction as well...

First week of September, I joined their effort & 2 weeks later we had ROP execution.
      From that moment, I have been doing all the ROP development work alone while the other 2 helped with testing & researching (and debugging for esc0rtd3w).

Right now I have 2 ROP chains ready, one for idps dumping & the other for flash memory dumping.

The next part of the job is to modify the flash dumper into a flash writer.
      When that is done & released, ps3 hardware flashers will have become mostly obsolete.

FYI, the idps dumper should work on any nor/nand model of ps3. Same goes for the flash memory dumper.

It was tested ok on superslim.

Once the ROP work above is finished , there is much more to be done & hopefully more releases to come...

Stay tuned.....

• The Current Status

For now the main project we are working on will not jailbreak all consoles.

It will enable flash dumps from all consoles but flash write only to all consoles up to 25xx so consoles that are are not cfw compatible will not really benefit just yet, except for dumping flash & idps but not for JB.

For those with cfw compatible consoles on ofw, once flash is overwritten with a db ofw copy, a user can reboot then install the cfw of their choice. Hardware flashers being then obsolete.. You could also overwrite the flash memory in more recent consoles but that would result in a brick due to metldr2.

It's only after that flash management project is done, in hopefully March that we will begin working on exploiting lv2. If we get the results we wish, we should be able to make a TaiHEN type of hack for all consoles including superslims.

Once lv2 is exploited, I am not sure yet how far I will take it, whether I will also try to take on lv1.. Or leave it for someone else to build on by releasing a fully commented & dev friendly version... We will see how things go, ......

However, even without lv1, direct access to lv2 functions using the right parameters would allow us to run homebrews (except those needing lv1 peek/poke) & backups without problems along with many other things.

• I figured i would add this (tab) to add some news and thread related to this project, that has arisen after this article.​

Stay tuned to psx-place.com as this story develops, we have the inside scoop on all the details as they flow. This is a huge breakthrough for the PS3 Community and will only progress from here on out!!!

UPDATE : IDPS DUMPER HAS BEEN RELEASED> >> NEWS Coverage
    (Please Note - You should not update your PS3 firmware past 4.81 if a Software Update goes Live)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'PS3 News' started by STLcardsWS, Nov 9, 2017.

1. wandare Wallace
    2. sandungas
      sandungas
      Being realistic... the leak started like a race but a bad one, now there must be some people taking a look at how it works, and after tomorrow release they will have another "sample" to experiment with
      Some will do it in a good way just for curiosity sake, and others will be considering if they have time to build something from it and release it to say "i was the first one" to boost his ego

For you there is not much hurry though, because probably you are at a much more advanced stage with the other tools and you know the exploit enviroment good enought, so you are more advanced than them and you can continue advancing faster that anyone

The leaks pushes you in working faster at the worst point of the development when is needed to clean the code, but after the release of tomorrow you can take some time to clean files, care about what happened with the leak shit, if all that caused a bit of delay for the release of other tools is ok, we can wait
      DeViL303 and esc0rtd3w like this.
    3. esc0rtd3w
      esc0rtd3w
      ok....the moment all of you have been waiting for......i assume :cheerful:

[​IMG]
      File: ps3_481_idps_dumper-PS3XPloit.zip

MD5 Hash: FFDA70AB2D1677886083F99185C54FE3

SHA-256 Hash: 852BDB301753C4F4A7E946188E850D3D325EEAA259B61AE2B5AE31320B2F292B

enjoy this release from our team :victorious:

we will be working hard to add eMMC support as soon as possible!!

The documentation will be updated as time goes on. There is a readme.txt file included with basic setup and usage instructions.

Please stay tuned for future tools and releases :D

and once again, THANK YOU to everyone involved bringing this all together, without all of you, none of this would have happened!!!

@STLcardsWS can you add this to the main post please along with screenshot? Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    4. Rautz
      Rautz
      Nice release, thanks to all of you that worked on it.
    5. k9mo
      k9mo
      Amazing ill be waiting for the emmc release do you think it would take alot or couple of days? Also could you host it on websploit.org
    6. sandungas
      sandungas
      They explained the problem with eMMC, is not posible to access it yet because the device identifyer is unknown
      After knowing that it could happen two things:
      -All will work flaweslly like in the other PS3 models, and the code will not need to be modifyed much so it will be implemented very fast
      -Some unexpected problems could appear

Nobody was able to access eMMC unnofficially by software before, so is not posible to know
      My guess is the hypervisor is going to work in our favour this time by doing the dirty job by mapping devices and virtualizing them, so probably the eMMC is accessed like the other flash device types... and the hdd region in it like a generic hdd device too
      esc0rtd3w likes this.
    7. k9mo
      k9mo
      They said that would hold them back with flashing but because idps is 16bytes they wont need device identifyer
    8. sandungas
      sandungas
      hmm, well i was thinking about dumping the eMMC... for the IDPS i guess it can be taken from ram
      esc0rtd3w likes this.
    9. amaandeep.nz
      amaandeep.nz
      I am dumping a emmc with HDD it had been 5 mins all it is doing is restarting poc

Sent from my SCL-L02 using Tapatalk
    10. amaandeep.nz
      amaandeep.nz
      What is this and I am on cech 4002a
      I get a JavaScript error

11. k9mo
      k9mo
      Can this be done with the webkit exploit
    12. k9mo
      k9mo
      How do you open the exploit on ps3 can you tell me exactly how as i am a noob in hosting stuff
      esc0rtd3w likes this.
    13. amaandeep.nz
      amaandeep.nz
      Start of by installing python into the ps3 idps dumper and then install everything else in the same folder as well then click on the .bat file and then it will give a IP and to the internet browser on PC to check and copy everything after starting server all the numbers and paste onto the URL tab and check if it is working and now copy the folder on a usb and keep a copy on the PC too and plug into the most right slot on the ps3 and go to the ps3 browser and enter the URL by pressing start and enter the IP they gave and the :XXXX as well and try dumping if it loads.

esc0rtd3w and k9mo like this.
    14. bguerville
      bguerville
      @sandungas is correct.
      I said the deviceid was necessary for both idps & flash dumper, what's different is the amount of testing to do for one & for the other... Idps will be more quickly done than dumper, that's all I meant.
    15. k9mo
      k9mo
      sorry i miss understoond how much do you think you guys will take to be able dump idps on emmc
    16. Berion
      Berion
      Sad thing that Sony will patch this in 4.82+ before complete toolset will be release.

Anyway, congratulations! This add some fresh wind to PS3 scene.
    17. k9mo
      k9mo
      I just tried dumping idps on emmc as expected it dumped idps.bin but it was wrong
    18. GregoryRasputin
      GregoryRasputin
      This news released today, which so happens to be the PS3's birthday :D
      Congrats and well done to all involved.
      Bereuza, STLcardsWS, zecoxao and 3 others like this.
    19. amaandeep.nz
      amaandeep.nz
      I didn't get anything it gave a javascript error did u clear cache?

20. Mozzy5837
      Mozzy5837
      Absolute quality- fair play to you guys
      STLcardsWS likes this.