Pinky's XBOX360 Tutorials

Discussion in 'XBOX 360' started by pinky, Mar 21, 2015.

1. 9,525
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

new db (09-16-18). seems some games have been added, but I didn't check which:

Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5uazba3j3t6f489/godreborn_xm360_db_09-16-18.7z/file

2. 9,525
    pinky

hey @Joonie , I think that dinohscene on temp has the files you're looking for. I'm not sure if it's non-rgh though, and this is only coming from a post I read several months ago, so my memory is a little hazy. the only hdds I Know of that work on ofw are wd scorpio. however, I think others are possible.

3. 9,525
    pinky

new xm360 db (10-26-18):

Code:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/b0bf81jucdmc49i/godreborn_xm360_db_10-26-18.7z/file

4. 386
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Hey @pinky is there an equivalent of no psn apps for xbox 360? I know there's a patched netflix app but I'm looking for youtube

5. 9,525
    pinky

tbh, I'm not sure. the patch might be in the default.xex file (the 360's equivalent of the eboot.bin). since I don't use netflix or any of the other apps, I've never really looked for them. I just use my media player, which pretty much goes unused as well. ;)

6. 386
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Another one @pinky I'm moving romsets through ftp and usb and for some reason some roms always fail to transfer no matter what I do, I'm inclined to believe the filename lenght is NOT the problem as some of the roms have a shorter filename and they actually transfer fine, know what could be the problem?

7. 9,525
    pinky

could be the file names (unique characters). it also may not like blank 0KB files, if you have any.. that's why it will fail at empty folders, then move past them. I've had several of those on my internal hdd. however, I do have some 0KB dlc transfers that either transferred without issue or got corrupted. I'm assuming you;re transferring these files to the internal hdd? another possibility is the shear number of files. small files = unstable for both the 360 and the ps3. luckily, most 360 files are contained in one or a few files (if a game). that's a different story with small roms.

p.s. I think my media player has failed. I noticed it while inserting each of my switch games into the switch. there's no power light. I might've unplugged while fiddling with my original switch's extension cable, but I don't think so. :(

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  8. 9,525
    pinky

@kadorna2 , did you get it figured out? I've never encountered a situation where file name length was a problem. there may be a limit that I"m not aware of, I've just never encountered it. which emulator are you trying to use? mednafen? I don't know if there's retroarch on the system (probably is), but mednafen is a frontend as well. I have tested that emulator with some games from different systems. it seemed to work really well. :D

for the most part, the emulators on the 360 leave much to be desired, considering how few people have hacked their systems and there being more interest in the ps3 anyway. one of the emulators, either on the 360 or the wii, has a file number limit or else the roms won't be read. it's like 250 roms in a single folder. I ended up having to split my roms, and compress them as .zip instead of .7z as it wouldn't read that format. I think you can do that with clrmame pro -- all automated. I'm thinking it was either a genesis or an sms emulator.

if your roms are being transferred via usb, check that there are no @ or the like characters in the file name, that it's not 0KBs, if it's zipped, extract the files to make sure the zip isn't corrupted, and make sure you're using fat32 mbr. there's no game that I'm aware with a file larger than 4GBs, so there was never a need for ntfs, if that's even possible. btw, which hacked dash are you using? FSD2, FS3, or Aurora? if one doesn't work properly, try another. I personally use FSD2, since it's faster.

edit: btw, don't use your main profile with emulators. some of them have achievements. lol

9. 386
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

yes, it was both a combination of filename lenght and "special" characters, special being a goddamn comma (ie: flinstones, the.bin)

I don't use multisystem emulators, except in the case of mame and finalburn alpha. Currently rocking FCE360, Genesis Plus 360 and SNES360. The emulators themselves weren't the problem since i couldn't put the roms in the HDD in the first place, no matter where the roms came from (FTP or USB copy)

tried multiple times to use clrmamepro without success

Aurora, FSD has been abandoned years ago. Also i'm not sure if you can use LiNK with FSD, it's nice to play online sometimes. Also², the TU+cover downloading sevice is also dead on FSD, tried using a fix i found online but it didn't work either, Aurora uses xboxunity which is still alive and well

I don't care if console gets banned (i'll never use live anyway)

10. 9,525
    pinky

I believe unity is tied into xm360. since the database fluctuates, sometimes my databases skip over games like rock band. that game and the like take a long, long time to record. I like FSD2, because it loads the game database faster. FS3 and aurora are slow as hell for me. both load the entire database first, before getting to the dashboard. with FSD2, you can go into file manager and load the default.xex before the database is even finished. not sure about aurora, but one downside to FSD2 is that you can't boot the last game played until the database has been read fully.

I did encounter major issues when I flashed the NAND to the newest version. everything, including the game database, got corrupted. I managed to fix everything, but it was extremely frustrating, especially considering I have over 700 games that needed to be rescanned. almost everything that could go wrong, went wrong with that procedure. ;) I've placed my FSD2 folder and launch.ini on an external hdd for easy access, so that this doesn't happen again. it was on the internal hdd before.

11. 9,525
    pinky

I don't know how, but I resurrected my media player. it started receiving power again after removing this extension cable I was using for the switch. it must've been snagging something. I should've labeled all cables. I think I'm going to start with the switch. :D

12. 386
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

I think the internal HDD might be dying, I want to change it for a 600GB I have lying around. Is there a way to connect the dying HDD to the PC and backup all the data there instead of FTP which is slow as shit?

13. 9,525
    pinky

yes, this is possible, but I haven't looked into in years. when I did, it required the transfer cable. however, there now may be ways to use a normal hdd enclosure (not sure).

edit: you'll also need an app (can't recall their names as there's more than one that can do this iirc). don't let your pc initialize the hdd either. also, I've heard of them being unstable above 500GBs, but that may only be for creating a disk image.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  14. 386
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Well that was quite a journey... Let's see

Xport360 could image the hdd okay but the program itself wouldn't show any files in partition 3 or partition 0, yet the backwards compatibility partition showed okay. Writing back the image to the new hdd would corrupt the data

Party buffalo would mount the image okay and show the files, didn't try extracting them. Any attempt to mount an xbox HDD would throw .net exceptions up the ass making it unusable

FATXplorer wouldn't even show the HDD as available, but it mounted the image fine and it even made it readable under windows, showing as a separate drive. Cons: the program is paid and has a 7 day trial.

So what i did was:
    Xport360 to image the original, supposedly dying HDD, FATXplorer to mount said image as a windows drive, FTP the contents of the mounted drive to the xbox. The whole process took over 26 hours to complete. I'm never doing this again. It also had a side effect of wasting about 50 GB of usable space on the new HDD, for some reason

15. 9,525
    pinky

@kadorna , yeah, it's a pita which is why I just ftp with an ethernet cable. I'm using a 1TB hdd in mine, so it took like two days to transfer everything. kinda annoying considering the system is in my bedroom, and I could hear the fan (temps at 60 degrees C) the entire time. the 360 can actually read 2TBs internally, and another 2TBs can be soldered to the memory card units on the motherboard (never done that). I can just imagine the time it'd take to transfer over that amount of data (a week?). that's when I discovered a few dlc containers were corrupted -- showing 0KNBs. I just left them as is. :-/

I've tried at least one of those apps with a 120GB hdd. it worked fine. the larger hdds are where it gets unstable. I've heard anything above 500GBs isn't recommended. I'm not sure if I've ever tried making a disk image, only extracting files.