PS3 PKG Linker Pi

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by pink1, May 14, 2018.

1. 613
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

Over the last weeks @DeViL303, @The Darkprogramer and I have been have been discussing using a RaspberryPi as a pkg/exploit server.
    The idea is to have the pi running a server, bridge the WiFi and Ethernet and create a pkg list pkg from a usb drive. This would also allow us to ftp packages to the pi from a pc.

I’m working on getting a version of pkg linker running on Linux other than that it should be just setting the pi up.

We’ve been working on it in private but I think it could be helpful to hear from everyone else as well.

What are your thoughts?
    Is this something you’d be interested in?
    We’d love to hear about any ideas you guys have.

2. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

I think it's a good idea. I have a Pi 3 so, in what I can help you here I am. I've been with her for two years and she's still amazed at the potential she has. What do you need? Apart from time xD. A greeting.

3. 613
    pink1

I’m going to get some links together for setting the pi up after that we can start testing the server and WiFi bridge. We can get any bugs worked out with those even without pkg linker.

We’re thinking on the pi 3 the WiFi is faster than the ps3 so the speed may be better too. This is one thing I’m really interested in but I don’t have a v3 to test with :(

mr_ota likes this.
  4. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

The normal Pi3 uses a 2.4 chipset ghz and the ethernet are 100mb, sharing the usb and the ethernet port in an on-board hub. I really believe that wifi is very similar and the ethernet is better than the PS3.

pink1 likes this.
  5. 613
    pink1

Good to know. I’m working with a v2 with a cheep adapter and I knew that it wasn’t the best but we were hoping the v3 was better.

I don’t think any of the three of us really know a lot about Linux or the raspberry so we’re doing a lot of guessing and studying. That’s part of the reason I went ahead and posted and to let everyone else play along maybe even come up with something better.

mr_ota likes this.
  6. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

I'm somewhat linux if I control, but programming little or almost nothing xDD. So for what you want I put my rasp at disposal or to make tests with it. The good thing is that if you take something out it will be valid for everyone (rpi 2, 3, 3b +). With whatever I can, if I can help you, I help. A greeting.

pink1 likes this.
  7. 613
    pink1

Thanks, the more people we have working and testing the better it can be.

For the most part we’re using c# with mono so the program isn’t very complicated. The hardest thing is the pkg extractor and I’ve had most of it done for years.

Right now I have the app running on windows but I’m running into a few problems on Linux with it not finding the files in the bin folder once that’s fixed we’re about done with the programming part.

I’m a firm believer that anyone can write a simple program in c#. With google you can almost write a program just coping and pasting.
    When I first made r2r and my edat tool I only knew a little html but with google by my side it was pretty easy to pick it up.

mr_ota likes this.
  8. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

I totally agree with you in fact everything I have learned has been thanks to the community and to seek trial and error, I have never gotten to C #, the truth is that I started python a couple of times and for lack of time and dedication that is What he needs I have not finished, although I hope to learn more over time. Anyway, I'll look into C #. Warn if you need to try something or whatever. A greeting. :D

pink1 likes this.
  9. 321
    lord3490

lord3490 Member

IT support
    Just an idea that came to mind: when finished it could be released in 2 versions.
    1. Standalone program
    2. All in 1 microSD card image (maybe even with a samba server)

That way it would be easy for Linux noobs to get started.
    Using the pi (raspi 2&3 + banana pi m3) I ran into trouble sometimes even when following a tutorial step by step. Got it all sorted out, but sometimes it's kinda tricky ;)

mr_ota and pink1 like this.
  10. 613
    pink1

We were talking about making an sd image I think once we get everything setup and working it should be pretty easy for one of us or someone to make an image to share. I think for a lot of people it would be a lot easier it would just be a bigger download.

We still working out the details on how the program is going to work. Right now it’s set up to run in the root of the usb with your packages. I’d like to get it running from the sd and just scan the usb. I’ll get the code posted to my GitHub in the next few days and see if anyone has any suggestions.

11. 17
    The Darkprogramer

The Darkprogramer Developer

Hell yeah :P this is exiting

pink1, DeViL303 and mr_ota like this.
  12. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

I do not know if you've ever used ecther io , but it could be something like an app in bin. Do not tell me how it goes packaged that I do not know xD. But the complete images at the end is quite heavy (1 or 2 gb). But you could work to add more features to the same image, or compile with scratch for linux a less heavy image without apt or sudo. It is another option as if it were aLibreELEC (squashfs system). Anyway, any of the two paths is good and opens possibilities with our little one. A greeting.

pink1, DeViL303 and The Darkprogramer like this.
  13. 613
    pink1

I was looking around last night and found pi bakery. It may work for us to simply the install.
    At first we’ll try to get the info and app together so we can do our first testing once we’re happy with it we can work on getting it packed up for an easy install.

I have the new linker working on windows and Linux now :)
    As of now it still needs to be in the same folder. I need to get it to scan the usb on boot I’m just not sure how to do it yet. This Linux stuff is totally new to me so I’m spending as much time googling as coding lol

DeViL303 and mr_ota like this.
  14. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

I have been watching and reading for several hours about linux from scratch. I think I could build something with enough to start a distribution with the minimum, I'll keep looking and I'll tell you. :-p

pink1 likes this.
  15. 613
    pink1

@mr_ota Sounds good bud. :D

I'll try to explain a little better what the original idea was.
    PKG Linker sucks over wifi and some people have had problems getting a server running. Those are both things we can't do much about so we started thinking of other ways to get the job done. @aldostools had posted a link to PiXploitHost while looking at that and talking to @DeViL303 the ideas started forming so we called in @The Darkprogramer to start working on a plain.

The first part of the plan was to set up a raspberry with Dnsmasq and Apache to bridge the wifi and Ethernet and to host our files.
    The next thing we wanted to do was to make something like pkg linker for the pi. We decided to use mono for this because we already had most of the code in c# and it could be used to make other ports later if anyone wanted.
    Next we need to get the pi setup to auto mount a usb and call our new program with the required info.

I think this could be a really cool project openly developed by the members of psx-place if more people wanna get in on it.
    If anyone has any ideas or wants to play around with any of this we'd love to hear about it and see what you've got. :)

mr_ota likes this.
  16. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

From what you tell me, I think that really with a light distribution would arrive for that, adding even samba and some extra extra. So I start to keep informing myself more and work on something. A greeting.

pink1 likes this.
  17. 3,704
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Home Page:
    Sorry I have not had much time to give input on this, but I it would be great if the pi image could be set up to also run this by default on another port for ISOs (CFW): http://www.psx-place.com/threads/using-raspberry-pi-as-streaming-device.3618/ , and if there is a decent DLNA server with mkv transcoding for Pi that would be cool too.

A then a web GUI to give basic controls over all the servers from the PS3 (web, FTP, PKG Linker, DLNA etc) would be a nice addition.

I just got a Pi 3 B+ especially for this project, but have not had time to play with it yet, cool piece of kit though. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    pink1 and mr_ota like this.
  18. 97
    mr_ota

mr_ota Member

I could prepare an image that was worth for 3b + as well, and that has integrated pixploithost and dlna server, ftp and other apps. Between tonight and tomorrow I send you something and try it for those who have raspberry 2,3,3b +. A greeting.

sandungas, pink1 and DeViL303 like this.
  19. 613
    pink1

I was thinking a light distribution would work and be much smaller. That's what I put on mine anyways lol.

We've all been so busy with life and other things that's part of why I thought we could just make this into a site project for any members that wanted to join the party. Also I think it would take us a long time to learn and do everything we need to to add all we're wanting to by our selfs. And I'm excited to see what everyone else comes up with too :)
    I missed a few things like the web gui and ftp in the list but I agree those should be added too. I'm interested in what all we can get it to do at once, what we're doing now shouldn't use much.

DeViL303 and mr_ota like this.
  20. 613
    pink1