PS3 PKG or ISO?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Wissam Chahir, Nov 10, 2018.

1. 12
    Wissam Chahir

Wissam Chahir Forum Noob

PKG and ISO, I think those are the most popular PS3 games formats, but I don't think I know the differents between them, can anyone explain?
    And which one of the two is able to be installed on CFW or HAN?
    And if someone here know good websites for PS3 games, share it

2. 96
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 PSX-Place Supporter

PKG are package files which are the native file format of games from the PS Store. ISO is a disc image file, which is a mountable/burnable backup copy of, in this case, an original PS3 game disc.

T.A.U and ricardo like this.
  3. 12
    Wissam Chahir

Wissam Chahir Forum Noob

PKG can be installed on both CFW and HAN?

4. 7
    emelin.2004

emelin.2004 Forum Noob

Yes,but not all games run great when in pkg form.

5. 7,592
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Of course they can be, pkg is the official ps3 installer format, even a ps3 on pure OFW can install pkg, you may not get a package manager feature on xmb but if you install a game/app from PSN officially, the installer format used in the background is pkg.

On CFW though, you are not limited to using the pkg files to install a game as you can basically emulate the BD drive. In any case, you never need to rely on complicated CFW2OFW conversions or resigned PSN pkg files on CFW.
    For retail discs, you can make an iso image of a disc with a backup manager then mount it, the system will use the iso as if it was a Bluray disc.
    For PSN games, you can simply download & install any official pkg & inject your license file manually or using a dedicated tool.

T.A.U and Coldheart2236 like this.
  6. 9,558
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

personally, I'm going with official packages w/ raps. because I have so few games and there are so few I want to play, it's not really worth investing in an hdd beyond the one I already have (FAT32) for gamei, psxiso, and pspiso). I'm actually surprised that I ripped every game that I had on to a random hdd, which is now safe on two hdds. :D anyone, all I care about are the Jak and Daxters, Ratchet and Clanks, Sly Coopers, and a few rpgs like the tales of series. ;)

7. 429
    ricardo

ricardo Member

bguerville and sandungas like this.
  8. 12
    Wissam Chahir

Wissam Chahir Forum Noob

Thank you so much this helped me a lot.
    But still there's another question: in cfw i can install pkg game (right got it) but if i have multiman can i play ps3_game (iso) games? Cause i dont know what u mean by 'For retail discs, you can make an iso image of a disc with a backup manager then mount it, the system will use the iso as if it was a Bluray disc.

9. 7,592
    bguerville

The best way to backup a retail disc game is to make an iso image of it.
    If you don't know what a CD/DVD/BD iso image file is, I suggest you Google the term or check Wikipedia articles.

Anyway, to make an iso image of a game on BD, all you need to do is to put the disc in your ps3, start a backup manager app like Irisman & choose to make an iso image from the disc.
    Once the iso file is created, you no longer require the disc to play the game. You can store the iso image file on the PS3 internal hdd or on an external ntfs USB hdd. You can "mount the iso" image file using any backup manager (webMAN-MOD, multiman, Irisman etc..). When the image is mounted, the ps3 system will see the iso image file as a disc.
    You can install the game & play it just as if you had inserted the physical disc.

T.A.U likes this.
  10. 51
    xXxPiKaChArUxXx

xXxPiKaChArUxXx PSX-Place Supporter

If you do not know what a backup is, and how to make one of your own discs, then clearly you're using it for piracy.

i think you should do your own research if you are using CFW or HAN just for this.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  11. 12
    Wissam Chahir

Wissam Chahir Forum Noob

Your answers are mostbe the best.
    Thanks again

12. 312
    umart666

umart666 Member

for me personally best thing of cfw is support of external ntfs drive and to be able to launch my backups from that drive (obviosly they had to be ripped to iso format).that way i can use my external hdd for other purposes other than just for ps3,keep ps3 internal hdd mostly free and be able to quickly and efortlessly back everything up if i want to restore whole system and/or switch cfw's.

13. 3
    Balwinder Singh

Balwinder Singh Forum Noob

Message removed by forum staff (please view site rules)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
  14. 312
    umart666

umart666 Member

piracy is severely punished on this forum.

sandungas likes this.
  15. 2,934
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

You have 2 warning points for breaking the forum rules, repeat it and you will be banned

16. 533
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

For cfw,folder format is the best since you can fit it on external harddrives.

For han,.pkg with pkg linker is the way to go.

So that leaves iso's.What benefit do iso's have? They are just one big file,which means you can only fit them on a harddrive so basicly none unless you have the harddrive space for them.

As for finding websites,posting them here would be agenst the rules on this forum.You can discribe your own backups but you cant ask where to get them online,unless you are trying to extract the files from your own disk yourself,then you can ask how to do it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  17. 6,954
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can also use iso on external.
    No fragmentation, no useless entries in MBR = Faster loading, faster ps3 operating if used internal hdd.

Anyway, differences are not big excluding few rare examples.

ricardo likes this.
  18. 2,934
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

To add some more advantages of ISO
    -ISOs are faster to tranfer by FTP because there is no interruption in the trasfer, is a single file and the transfer speed is going to be stable reaching the max
    -Copying a ISO (single file) to internal PS3 hdd doesnt causes problems... but there are some games that have thousands of files and this could cause problems and "kill" the internal hdd filesystem
    -Some games really needs the ISO format to work, otherway (in JB format) doesnt works, this is because in the ISO format is used an "intermediate" layer that redirects the file access operations, initially you coould think that using this "intermediate layer" is going to cause a delay... but it doesnt, and actually everything works better because the file access operations are better "ordered"

In my oppinion, asking about how to crack/download a game or talking about the pirate things a user does at his home is a thing... but a different thing is to post download links to pirate content and/or promote it (this is worst)

As example, if someone ask "hey tell me where i can download X" this deserves a warning of the type "this is not allowed, read the forum rules"
    But if someone post "hi, i want to play this game in the link www.warez.com/game"... this deserves a more serious warning, this is what "Balwinder Singh" did, and for it i gave him 2 warning points

Still, 2 warning points are not much, i could have given him more because really... it did look like he is promoting his own website for downloading games, this is not going to be tolerated, if he repeats it he will be insta-banned

Our main worry in the forum is we dont want any legal responsability of whatever the users does at his home, this is not our problem
    Especially the posts that contains download links to cracked/ilegal games

I wanted to explain it because sometimes it could look like the forum staff are banning manics, but nah... by now it seems we have that forum rule about piracy under controll... especially latelly that some users (you included) are helping us to explain it to the newcomers, thx for that btw (to you and the other people around the forum that does it, we have noticed it) ;)

19. 119
    Omage

Omage Member

JB format thru LAN is best

20. 7,592
    bguerville

Best for what?
    For gaming, JB folder legacy format should be avoided. sandungas just explained why in this thread. The only situation requiring the legacy format is game modding.
    And for file transfer, you should in theory always be better off with a single iso file than with a folder containing thousands or tens of thousands of files, whether you use LAN or USB.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018