Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Pkglinker via WiFi to router and then router via Ethernet to PS3 too slow

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by Gizmo, Oct 21, 2018.

1. 4
    Gizmo

Gizmo Forum Noob

Hi guys,
    My PS3 is connected to my router via Ethernet and is absurdly fast when downloading updates from the internet, however when downloading packages via pkglinker 2.0 (from my windows10 laptop - I also have a fast wifi capable of 8Mbytes/s), my laptop does not seem to be able to serve packages faster than 1.5Mbyte/s (verified using a real-time network monitor)....

Has anyone found a similar problem? Could it be something in the Apache config or?

Many thanks,
    Giz

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. 229
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    Using routers in general tend to be slow, especially since we're dealing with transfers that are usually big file sizes.
    I don't think it would have anything to do with your server's settings in this case. It also doesn't have anything to do with your actual internet speed, you can do this stuff without an internet connection. You're limited to your routers processing speed when using one.

If you have an ethernet cable, you'd gain a signifigant speed boost by leaving the router out of the picture and have a direct PC to PS3 connection. This requires a few more steps to set up of course.
    If you're interested, I can point you to some previous posts explaining how to set this up in this way.

Gizmo, cygmon0 and DeViL303 like this.
  3. 4
    Gizmo

Gizmo Forum Noob

Hi Zazenora!
    Thanks for replying! Indeed, I had tried in the past having a direct connection via ethernet cable from the PS3 to my laptop and was really really fast (you just need to setup static IP addresses on both the PS3 and the laptop - the ethernet cable doesn't even need to be a cross-over cable type..:) ).

The thing is that I hate having to move around my laptop as my PS3 is on a different floor from where I am usually browsing the web, etc...:)

I'll check the config on my router just in case....I suspect that the router is actually setting all LAN ports to the speed of the slowest connected device....:)

Eheh, many thanks! :)

Cheers,
    Gizmo

Zazenora likes this.
  4. 229
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I see. I wasn't even taking into account the placement of your devices lol.

The way I have to access the router at my house, I have to turn my PC's hotspot on and connect the PS3 to it in order to play games online. My PS3 doesn't have good WiFi range compared to my laptop, and can't connect directly to the router with a usable speed.

For transferring files however, I have my laptop close to my ps3 making it conveniant for using an ethernet cable.

In your situation, the distance of your devices from your router may also play a role in the transfer speed. If after checking your ports you happen to still experience issues, you may end up having to place everything closer together if it's possible. If anything else another method would have to be used to achieve a faster transfer speed.

You may also check how much bandwidth is passing through the router from other devices. If there is alot of traffic (as in my case from nearly 8 phones connected, 3 game systems, several computers running nearly nonstop on my router from everyone in the household) it may also effect speed. I had noticed a difference in transferring packages of similar size depending on how many devices I knew were connected at the times I tried them.

5. 9,410
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

this is one reason I like having a laptop. you can get a 25ft ethernet cable for a few bucks. that should be good enough for the other end of the room. that's my setup. wifi or lan -- depends on the device. I use a wired connection for my pstv and 360 while using wifi with the ps3. however, I use a direct connection from my laptop to my ps3 when it comes to ftp.

are you using an ac router? ftp shoudn't be affected by band, but it's just a suggestion. I know that I can get ftp between them, but I can't use a proxy with my laptop if using 2.4GHz.

Zazenora and Gizmo like this.
  6. 4
    Gizmo

Gizmo Forum Noob

Hi Pinky!

Actually, I could in theory connect my laptop to the router via ethernet and check the speed...
    I mean, if there is an infrastructure setup and multuple possibilities..it should be possible ehehe, at least in theory.

There's something fishy that's for sure...:)

Well, whether you use WiFi or Wired, it should not matter, FTP and HTTP are Application protocols whereas Wifi/Ethernet are associated witht the physical layer. Of course there might be different settings configured on the OS...implementing some sort of throttling or so....

Eheh.
    Cheers and thanks,
    Giz

7. 9,410
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

a lot of things might be a factor. I know that when I was ftp'ing my 360's internal hdd, the original backup was going at 4MBs. a few years later with the same system, different router and different cable, the speed fluctuated, but it's highest speed was around 10MBs which is generally what I get with the same connection and the ps3. that time (backing up the 360 internal hdd) fluctuated between 2MBs to 10MBs. it took about two days to copy over 1TB of data due to this. I've encountered issues with ftp and the ps3 as well, but it's almost always small files. large files should go at full speed.

Zazenora likes this.