Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Playing NTSC/JAP PS1 games on a PAL PS3 (Audio slowdown)

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by gameinn1, Aug 31, 2018.

1. 5
    gameinn1

gameinn1 Forum Noob

I'm having some trouble with NTSC/JAP PS1 games on a PAL PS3. I can resign the game and run it but the issue seems to be some form of audio slow down. I'm pretty sure the PS3 is running at PAL speeds and making the audio jittery and totally wrong. I sort of confirmed this by unticking HD upscaling on the PS3 and my TV indicated 576p which of course is 50 fps. Even running the game at 720p seems to be 720p50.

It's very weird because legit PSOne Classics from the US or JPN store do not have this issue as they either run at native 480p60 or 720p60.

One solution I read was to untick all video options and just have 480p. Unfortunately since this was never a real video standard in Europe, it's never really enforced and is not selectable, only 576p.

Two solutions I can think of:

1. I have to somehow change the region of my console to NTSC. I have a Super slim so I'll rule that out.
    2. There is some weird PARAM.SFO thing I can do to force the game to run at NTSC speed? I unchecked 576 in the editor but that didn't help either.

2. 2,511
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I dont have experience with this, but i remember to read iris/man was using some special mount mode for PS1 games that changed the resolution modes
    In modern firmwares and backup managers (dependant of cobra) is made different that iris/man
    Not sure if is still made this way, but for a time cobra was doing some "on the fly" patching to PS1 games to change resolutions

So i suggest to try latest irisman version... just for a test to try to understand what is happening

3. 5
    gameinn1

gameinn1 Forum Noob

Hey, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm running a super slim so I don't think I can run programs like that.

4. 14
    rasenshuriken

rasenshuriken Forum Noob

I have the same issue, I ripped my evil zone game to iso and converted it to ps1 classics with the cumbersome method and it works, my game is pal, but when I tried the same thing with my mortal kombat 4 which is ntsc, I got audio slowdown. any fix for this.

5. 14
    rasenshuriken

rasenshuriken Forum Noob

Is there no fix for this what so ever?

6. 33
    mndx

mndx Forum Noob

After spending many hours on this subject i can tell you that the only solution is indeed to untick all video options except for the 480 in the SFO file of the game for NTSC-U or NTSC-J games. I found this out by decrypting official psn psone classics and inspecting the SFO file, which only had the 480 option selected (just the regular, not the 16:9 option). So change the SFO to 480 only and this will unlock 60hz for the NTSC-U and J games on a PAL PS3 system.

try the solution mentioned in my previous post

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2018
    Sciaa... and sandungas like this.
  7. 5
    gameinn1

gameinn1 Forum Noob

Thank you it worked.

mndx likes this.
  8. 148
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Well...you might try to patch NTSC games into PAL so it can be playable without having BGM music slowed down.

9. 33
    mndx

mndx Forum Noob

nah mate, 480p in the sfo is the way to go

10. 4
    Sciaa...

Sciaa... Forum Noob

I was skeptical but I tried it and now Confirm that Fix is the Real Solution to PSX NTSC U or J audio slowdown issues on PS3 SuperSlim PAL units/models (sold in EU or UAE) thanks to @mndx.

I've been doing the NTSC U/J conversion to PAL last month (using PAL4U2K and P4UPatch) on all my NTSC PSX games which results in,
    • PROS: Solves the audio slowdown issue due to NTSC games being forced from 60Hz down to 50Hz
    • CONS: BGM gets out of sync which breaks rhythm games like Bust a Move 2 Dance Tengoku Mix and Perfect Performer
    Image below is a visual aid for @mndx's solution:
    That is on the step before you create PKG via TrueAncestor, you edit TITLE and TITLE ID with your converted PSX then under Video Resolution,
    1. Untick all 1080, 720, 576, and 480 (16:9)
    2. Leave only the 480 ticked/checked -- not 480 (16:9)
    I was worried the conversion having only 480 resolution will make my HDTV switch to 480p but no, it stayed at 1080p @ 60Hz, regardless.

[​IMG]

mndx likes this.
  11. 148
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Hmm...gonna test it out the SFO hack method as the patch method sometimes making the game runs unstable even it fixes audio sync issue.