PlayStation Classics - Using PCSX Reloaded Code

Discussion in 'PlayStation Classic (Mini-Console)' started by Naked_Snake1995, Nov 9, 2018.

1. 408
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

44659354645_054bf3aacc_o.jpg Announced by Sony last month and scheduled for release in December, the PlayStation Classic is the company's version of something Nintendo has been doing successfully in recent years: creating products geared specifically for the most nostalgic fans who want to relive the hours that have passed videogames of the 1980s and 1990s.

But in the case of the Sony console, the ad's reception was not nearly as good as the company seemed to expect. Many criticisms have been made of the list of 20 pre-installed games, which includes some little-known titles and overlooks famous franchises of the time.

In recent days, another point has also come under criticism. As noted by Kotaku when testing PlayStation Classic, the software that allows you to play these classic games is PCSX ReArmed, an open source emulator that is freely available on the internet.

It is a PCSX Reloaded fork with some optimizations to run on systems with ARM architecture and uses the GPLv2 license, which guarantees the freedom to modify and redistribute the program.

Using emulation to preserve classic games is not exactly new to Sony. Just access the "Classics" category on PlayStation Store, for example, you'll find a number of PSOne Classic line titles that can be emulated on the PlayStation 3. Some recent releases for PlayStation 4, such as "Parappa the Rapper" and "Loco Roco 2 "runs via a PSP emulator that is downloaded along with the game.

The difference is that instead of proprietary emulation software - as Nintendo did with the Classic Edition of NES and SNES - Sony has now opted to use an emulator that already exists. While this is exactly the central point of criticism being made by Sony, the measure is not necessarily bad.

As pointed out by Frank Cifaldi, director of the Video Game History Foundation, this fact proves that an "amateur" emulator has as much validity as an "officer" of the company, with many being even better than versions created by the owners of the original consoles.

PlayStation Classics, launches on December 3rd with an MSRP on 99$/99€/89.99£ with 20 PlayStation Original Games such as:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
      • Cool Boarders 2
      • Destruction Derby
      • Final Fantasy VII
      • Grand Theft Auto
      • Intelligent Qube
      • Jumping Flash
      • Metal Gear Solid
      • Mr Driller
      • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
      • Rayman
      • Resident Evil Director's Cut
      • Revelations: Persona
      • Ridge Racer Type 4
      • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
      • Syphon Filter
      • Tekken 3
      • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6
      • Twisted Metal
      • Wild Arms

• Arc the Lad (JPN Only)
      • Arc the Lad 2 (JPN Only)
      • Armored Core (JPN Only)
      • Gradius Gaiden (JPN Only)
      • XI [sai] (JPN Only)
      • SaGa Frontier (JPN Only)
      • G Darius (JPN Only)
      • Parasite Eve (JPN Only)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    T.A.U and pinky like this.
  2. 6,927
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    This rpi is overpriced. Oh wait...

jolek, amirzaim, Berion and 2 others like this.
  3. 9,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I wonder if they've pulled a Nintendo by deliberately not keeping up with demand. I bought one (don't have an nes/snes classic) just to have one despite only caring about two games on it: final fantasy vii (have the remastered version on the ps4) and wild arms. hopefully, there'll be some hacks to allow adding more games, such as xenogears or chrono cross. I kinda regret buying this at the moment considering the lack of stellar games it's being released with.

4. 1,529
    Berion

Berion Developer

And this is the frontend/vsh/sceshell/whatever:
    https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1060699574254354433/video/1

Looks... well... bad. IMO. I was hoped for some kind of OMSK from PS4 (this coverflow is great, the one from PSC amateur).

I understand it is stylised to SCPH-75xx menu but look at the icons at the bottom. It is literally disaster. Every single one have different style. Jesus! And this huge white bar? Jesus again! I can make in one f*g hour better GUI...

DeViL303, nCadeRegal, HWNJ and 2 others like this.
  5. 9,404
    pinky

I will be selling my psx classic. that menu looks ugly as hell, and with two games I want to play being playable on other systems, it's probably foolish to keep the thing. besides, I'd like the experience to be as pure as possible. the only reason I was interested was due to the fact that my tv doesn't support 240p, and a framemeister costs around $400.

6. 1,529
    Berion

Berion Developer

Following original GUI elements position and colouristic, I have made something similar, yet still a little better... IMHO. ;p
    psc_gui.png

For compare, original:
    psc_twittervid.png

And this is PlayMe/PS3PSXe emulator for PS3 (concept gui from ancient times for unfinished unreleased emu ;]).
    playme_emu (1).jpg playme_emu (2).jpg playme_emu (3).jpg playme_emu (4).jpg

Case template fully base on imLeeRobson work.
    Game covers are from google graphics. ;)

nCadeRegal, jolek and pinky like this.
  7. 174
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

There you go....you just bought an overpriced "RPi box" with 3rd-party PSX emulator in it!....

8. 90
    HWNJ

HWNJ Member

Developer
    Home Page:
    Nice, very nice.
    That is a simple, but really good design.

Sony did really bad on the PSClassic

But do not worry, they already used a free PSX emulator on the system. They can also take your design and use it :stupid:, they have more than 20 days to fix the interface before the release or fix it on a system update :glee:

9. 213
    TOM1211

TOM1211 Member

Once the game list for it was released I cancelled. Still people will buy it.

10. 1,033
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I dont get why everyone is complaining here. Besides the obvious, i feel sony made this thing just for us. It is a licensed emulator, and with it being pcsx rearmed you know it will get hacked to bits and we will then install whatever the eff we want. I hope its like my snes and nes mini where i can hook up usb storage to it and enjoy an entire library of my rips. The less i use my og hardware the better.

11. 160
    ShaolinAssassin

ShaolinAssassin Member

If they were going old school, i would rather the old grey menu from early PS1 models...

12. 1,033
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

So wait japan gets 28 titles and we get 20? That just goes to show there is more storage for more games. I highly doubt they used different hardware. I want to see this discussion, not what ive been seeing.

13. 160
    ShaolinAssassin

ShaolinAssassin Member

No. Japan get also only 20 - each region will have some exclusive games. Some of the 20 games mentionned in the OP will be replaced in the Japan version.

Japan version has : https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/1056886508227948544

Ark the Lad I & II
    Armored Core
    R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
    I.Q
    Gradius Gaiden
    XI
    SaGa Frontier
    G Darius
    Jumping Flash
    Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
    Tekken 3
    Battle Arena Toshinden
    RE: Dir. Cut
    Parasite Eve
    FFVII International
    Mr. Driller
    Revelations: Persona
    MGS
    Wild Arms

14. 213
    TOM1211

TOM1211 Member

Yes it will probably get hacked to make it better, but should it just not have been better to start with?

15. 1,529
    Berion

Berion Developer

Thanks.

They cannot, I would sue them if they take it without paying. I would love to design GUIs of Sony consoles but they are not interesting. ;)

What kind of emulator they used it doesn't matter and really don't determine anything. This console would be hard to crack, and the same goes to emulator itself. Everything depend on budget and the goal. Looking at this project, I doubt it will be any stronghold (everything in software side looks very cheap), but until we get it in our hands, we cannot saying that it will be easy.

I'm interesting in buying it but only if it is possible to hack, otherwise is piece of junk (horrible menus, bad game chose, one VMC per game or per system, no nearest neighbour scaling, no filters, 720p, 50/25 fps).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 6:41 AM
  16. 9,404
    pinky

I'm debating whether or not I should cancel my preorder. does anyone know if this is in limited supply? I saw on ebay people selling preorders for more than msrp.

17. 90
    HWNJ

HWNJ Member

Developer
    Home Page:
    Everything in the console looks cheap, even the controllers.
    It seems as they have no love for the project.

Just buy a PSTV, it costs the same and you can put any PSX, PSP or PSV game you want on it. Just install HENKAKU, then mod the tittles' blacklist, then install adrenaline and some plugins like nonpdrm and you are ready to go.

18. 408
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Let it drop the price just like the PSTV, people will snag it and hack the living [email protected] out of it, buuuttttt as it uses ARM architecture chances are that its even easier to hack it, so there goes my PS VITA hardware predictions inside the PS1 Classic down the drain.

19. 9,404
    pinky

I think it may be more a novelty than an actual usable product. if my tv supported 240p, I'd have no use for this. I'd just let my ps2 do all the work. speaking of which, I've now copied all content from my second memory card to another card, so I essentially have two memory cards, each with its own backup as well .cbs and .psu versions of each save. :D

20. 1,529
    Berion

Berion Developer

Hard to judge based only on YT videos. But for me hw looks ok.

I bought 2 years ago and I recommending this: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/phalaris-suite.12825/ :D