PS1 #PlayStationClassic Released & Hacked --- Everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'PS1 News' started by Roxanne, Dec 7, 2018.

By Roxanne on Dec 7, 2018 at 6:56 PM
  1. 102
    Roxanne

Roxanne Moderator

Home Page:
    And there it is. After other Console Developers like Nintendo, SEGA or ATARI re-released their older but wonderful and classic Home Consoles in it's new and tiny chassis marketed with some catchy words like "Mini", "Retro" or "Flashback", Sony decided "to jump on the bandwagon" by releasing their own Classic Console in a miniature format - namely the "PlayStation Classic". Announced back in September 2018, the PlayStation Classic is a dedicated version of the Original PlayStation (in short "PS1" or as you would know it as "PSX") providing 20 Classic Video Game Titles built-in. And while reviews from other video gaming journalists showed already that sadly, the PlayStation Classic is a bad example how to re-release a "Retro Console" compared to it's competitors, this Thread will help you with Everything you need to know about the Console itself, it's built-in Video Games and how fast several well-known Developers from other Sony Consoles are already tinkering with it to fix several Problems Sony was too lazy for and to provide additional Features like Emulators and other Homebrew etc.​

PSC vs PSX.png
    By keeping the Original Design, but smaller, the PlayStation Classics provides 20 Game Titles built-in while mirroring the same Button layout and logos - but 45% smaller than the Original Release back in 1994.

• PSC User Interface.png
      The User Interface from the PlayStation Classic is a homage to the Original UI used on the Original PSX with the same color scheme like in 1994.

With a price of 99,- USD (99,- EUR in Europe - 89,- GBP in United Kingdom - 9.980,- JPY in Japan), the PlayStation Classic comes with two wired Controllers. Sadly those are the Standard Controllers without giving any Analogue Sticks, or even a Vibration function, unlike the very first "DualShock Controller" for the PS1. And unlike the Original PSX (don't worry you don't need to search for your old AV/SCART cables from your basement :)), the PlayStation Classic provides a HDMI Output giving a 720p Output Resolution with 60 Frames per Second (FPS). But it is important to note that while it ships with a USB cable to connect it on a USB power source, a USB AC adaptor is NOT included so you will need to use your own, like from your Smartphone or from your TV built-in for example. You also won't need to search for your old Memory Cards since each Game supports it's own Virtual Memory Card giving the classic 15 slots. So technically you have 20 Memory Cards built-in - One Memory Card for each Game. It also supports the neat feature of Save States, so you can resume your Game wherever you need to without searching for Save Points with Cloud and his Friends inside the Northern Cave while grinding your Characters to Level 99. :)

• The review from Digital Foundry shows why the PlayStation Classic is sadly a "Disappointed" Approach of bringing the nostalgic Games back with the PlayStation Classic.

Sadly, we already have to speak about the bad things this "Mini-PlayStation" provides. While there was already a hefty discussion about the Gaming Line-up the PlayStation Classic provides with several well-known Classic Game Titles missing, the 20 Games built-in are barely optimized for giving you a 100% perfect and nostalgic experience like you had back in the 90's. While using a Open-Source Emulation solution - namely PCSX ReARMed - the PlayStation Classic shows several Problems during in-Game such as blurry and dithered effects, mismatching sound effects and the most important "bummer" is that several Games are provided as "PAL Versions". Especially the Users reading this Thread here in America will be surprised how slow several Games would run on this tiny machine and how bad this would be for your Gaming Experience. The Video above from Digital Foundry shows exactly how bad this Emulation solution, Sony has chosen, performs and even the other Games, which supports fully 60 FPS instead of 50 FPS only like the European PAL Versions does, has massive frame-drops compared to the Original Hardware and/or other Sony Devices supporting PS1 Games through Emulation.
      • Games included in all Regions (PAL Versions are in red color):
        • Battle Arena Toshinden (known in Japan as バトルアリーナ闘神伝 [Batoru Arīna Tōshinden])
        • Final Fantasy VII (the Japanese PlayStation Classic uses the "International Version")
        • I.Q.: Intelligent Qube (known in Europe as "Kurushi")
        • Jumping Flash
        • Metal Gear Solid
        • Mr. Driller (known in Japan as ミスタードリラー [Misuta Dorira])
        • R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
        • Resident Evil: Director's Cut (Bio Hazard Director's Cut)
        • Revelations: Persona
        • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (known in Japan as スーパーパズルファイターII X [Super Puzzle Figher II X])
        • Tekken 3
        • Wild Arms
      • Games Exclusive for North America / Europe / South Korea
        • Cool Boarders 2
        • Destruction Derby
        • Grand Theft Auto (GTA)
        • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
        • Rayman
        • Syphon Filter
        • Tom Clancy's: Rainbow Six
        • Twisted Metal
      • Games Exclusive for Japan / Taiwan / Hong Kong
        • Arc the Lad
        • Arc the Lad II
        • Armored Core
        • G-Darius
        • Gradius Gaiden (never saw a "Western Release" for the PSX, but for the PSP)
        • Parasite Eve
        • SaGa Frontier
        • XI [sái] (Devil Dice)

• Doom on PSC.jpg
      Thanks to @nvsofts, Doom is already playable on the PlayStation Classic (although it would be interesting to play this with the PlayStation Controller).

Not only the PlayStation Classic itself shows how little Sony was interested to implement a proper self-made and internal Emulation solution like they did for their previous Home Consoles, it seems that they didn't showed any interest as well when we speak about Security Features for this Device. Since the PlayStation Classic runs on bare-metal, it shows that you can observe the internals in both Hardware and Software very easily, which sounds very great. In fact, several well-known Developers from other Sony Home Consoles already showed what's possible to do Sony won't like you do. It's impressive to see, that there are already so many Achievements presented in the first week of it's release. The following list will give you a overview what is already known about the technical specifications from the PlayStation Classic itself, as for playing with the Software itself such as Dumping the Firmware or playing additional PlayStation Games, Sony missed to include by their own. I think we will see a bright future here for this device when we speak about Emulators and Homebrew.​

• Developer @v9938 dumps the Firmware used inside the PlayStation Classic
      • Developer xyzz shows the internal code from the Emulation Solution Sony modified to get it run on the PlayStation Classic which shows that Sony tested more Games during their Development
      • Developer @bakueikozo showcases a demonstration of loading additional PS1 Games not included by Sony
      • Developer @nvsofts presents that the Classic Doom is already running on the PlayStation Classic
      • Both Developers @yifanlu and @DaveeFTW also showcases how they were able to load additional PS1 Games on the PlayStation Classic
      • Developer @emuonpsp is showing more details about several "Debug Settings" used from the Emulator itself

• Getting to the "Debug Settings" by pressing a single button? This was never so easy as before.

But not only the Developers themselves shows the potential of this tiny device. It seems that even Sony itself allows everyone to dig into the internals from their PlayStation Classic very easy. How you may ask? Well, if you already own the PlayStation Classic, just plug a external USB Keyboard in one of it's USB slots used for the Controllers normally and press the "Esc-Button". You will be surprised how easy you can contribute as showed by the Team behind the YouTube-Channel "RETRO GAMING ARTS". Their video shows how many entries you get by tinkering with this device but also that even Sony was able to making things better with the Emulation itself (like with the 50 FPS PAL Versions implemented as explained before). But also Developers like @yifanlu showed together with @madmonkey how easy you can implement your own Games, Emulators, Homebrew or nearly anything else by your own. This shows how lazy (or how inexperienced) the Developers from Sony are during the Development of the PlayStation Classic. Even the decision to choose a Open-Source Solution for the Emulaton shows how they wanted to keep this device as cost-effective as possible, with the bad side effect for those who can't enjoy the Classic Games. It seems that the Homebrew and Hacking Community has to fix Sony's own mistake again like in the past.​

ps1_classic.jpg Handy PSC.jpg
    Quite handy the new PlayStation Classic, isn't it?

Our community is also already discussing about the possibilities with the PlayStation Classic. Our own Admin @STLcardsWS opened a dedicated Forum Section for the PlayStation Classic only where you are welcome to discuss everything related. I would personally welcome a discussion if the PlayStation Classic is even worth the money or to summarize the alternatives from the PlayStation Classic, especially compared to Sony's previous Emulation solutions like they used for the PS2, PS3, or even the PSP and PSvita. The PlayStation TV also looks like Sony's own competitor to the PlayStation Classic where many people already said that they don't need the PlayStation Classic when their PlayStation TV is already emulating their own PlayStation Library in a proper way. Also Thanks to User @GregoryRasputin, you can even share your own discoveries since he opened a new PlayStation Developer Wiki dedicated to the PlayStation Classic only. And lastly, User @Roxanne is also planing to expand her Compatibility Lists for the PlayStation Classic, which will be released very soon (UPDATE: RELEASED) and will give a great opportunity for everyone to contribute in both this Forum, as for the wiki. Again I have to admit that we will see great times here with this tiny toy.

So what do you think of Sony's approach for releasing the PlayStation Classic? You are welcome to discuss your opinions down below.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
    Louis Garry, zecoxao, jolek and 6 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PS1 News' started by Roxanne, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Killer Bunny
      Killer Bunny
      In my opinion, nobody would buy it. I mean why would someone waste their money on this? Even smartphones can emulate ps1 these days. Almost everyone has a tv which is above 40 inches. Just imagine how bad 240p would look on them. I think Sony made a dumb move.
    2. umart666
      umart666
      i think this could be very interesting retro box but price severely cipples that.for 99$ there's plenty better solutions.
    3. Neal Cullum
      Neal Cullum
      For the price better off getting raspberry pi 3b+ and emulate psx
    4. marsil602
      marsil602
      wow i'm impressed with the contributions already made!

now i'll keep my fingers crossed for price drop lol
    5. Grahf
      Grahf
      Burn it with fire.

This thing uses a crappy mobile SoC and PCSX - an inaccurate emulator dating back to 2000.

Sony should have hired Dr.Hell to port the awesome XEBRA emulator to PS4.
    6. PS3HackersMod
      PS3HackersMod
      No one will get this. The hardware is horrible (weird because its using the pscx open source emulation). My PSP 1001, phone, PS3, and PS4 5.05 can play these 1000x better than this trash, the few PAL 50Hz games are lagging too much and not fluent. Not even close to being worth $99.99
      Grahf likes this.
    7. Grahf
      Grahf
      It won't even help to enter the settings and force NTSC because the games are coded for PAL. For example, the timer in Tekken 3 will go too fast if the game is forced into NTSC.

Pure garbage and I'm shocked Sony did this.
    8. Naked_Snake1995
      Naked_Snake1995
      Ill snag one once they are going cheap, 99€ its just a bit too much for my taste, even though the hacking community had to do something that Sony wouldnt.

Personally, ill stick to my SCPH-1002, for HDMI the PS3 or PSTV will do just fine. But lets admit it, original its always better, plus the laser rail grinding noise... :D
    9. Grahf
      Grahf
      @Naked_Snake1995 SCPH-1002? The laser assembly in those would need to be replaced every time you complete a game. Where will you get them, though? The Chinese counterfeits don't work properly. Even the newer PS1 models have dying lasers.

There's the PSIO cartridge, but it costs 150 Australian Dollars and you have to wait up to 6 months for your order to ship since they still didn't begin mass production.
    10. Naked_Snake1995
      Naked_Snake1995
      Thats why i dont use it, mainly for collection purposes, for that i either use a 9000 or a 7000 PS1, my 1002 laser its still in mint condition, and i already knew about the plastic die on the 1000 series.
    11. Grahf
      Grahf
      I understand, but there's nothing special about 1002, despite what you might find online. The SCPH-5XXX series has the same audio and video quality. SCPH-7XXX, SCPH-9XXX and SCPH-1XX indeed have slightly worse audio and video quality.

No matter what model is being used, though, the laser assembly won't work for long. Sadly, Sony used an extremely cheap design. I wish the PSIO cartridges entered mass production and became more affordable. Sony just proved we can't rely on them when it comes to offering the PS1 library on modern hardware.
    12. Naked_Snake1995
      Naked_Snake1995
      I don´t buy the whole SCPH-1002 being a superior audiophile model, as a collector, i like to own every revision across consoles, so it makes no difference to me, but the RCA jacks made it unique in its own way.
    13. Grahf
      Grahf
      I checked this myth a few years ago. In two ways, first of all, I simply checked what DACs are used between the two series. Turns out they use the same DAC. Then I got myself a 1002 to compare with Audio CDs. It really sounded exactly the same as the SCPH-5XXX series. Just to debunk the myth.
    14. GhostBlue
      GhostBlue
      Guys come on think wider pls. You think this is crap but there are thousands of people who will buy it. This is an item for collectors only. Of course sony didnt released it for normal home users. This is only for people that remembers their old good feelings when they saw that old ps amblem.
      Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    15. Grahf
      Grahf
      You really want to play these games with horrible slowdowns and input plug, not to mention audio and video glitches?

I do think wider, dude. That's why I want Sony to make this again, but this time the right way. They need to know how bad this is.
    16. nCadeRegal
      nCadeRegal
      Whats with all of the bickering and negativity here guys. Sony stepped up for a quick cash grab and thats all it is. I think its an awesome little device with hdmi output. They specifically left the door wide open for us to tinker and make it what we want it to be. Ask yourself how secure sony makes their consoles? Do you really think they just said oops we forgot on this one? Not no, Hell no. They purposely left it like that to create buzz, and sales.
    17. Grahf
      Grahf
      Can you people please stop this nonsense and just read a professional technical analysis of this device?

It has emulation glitches, horrible slowdowns, broken frame pacing and horrendous input lag.

Read this review, look at the provided proofs. This device is the worst possible way to play PS1 games. You are hurting the experience by playing such botched versions.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-review
    18. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      Think about how much hacking is promoting the system and its sales (Especially after its bad initial reviews before hacks). Not impossible thought that Sony knew for this one-time purchase they could use the community for alot of advertisement and features for the device...

They knew what was going to go down....
      Cypher_CG89 and nCadeRegal like this.
    19. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      Yes in its raw stock format....

Who knows hacks and exploits better psx-place or eurogamer FFS :)
      nCadeRegal likes this.