PS3 Possible brick?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Jinxed96, Oct 11, 2018.

1. 5
    Jinxed96

Jinxed96 Forum Noob

So my issue is on cech-2501a. what happened was during the process of trying to convert to dex with latest rebug toolbox and 4.82 rebug I set target id to dex but when trying to make make the switch I got incompatible version or an error occurred message. So I went to look online and while i was doing that my ps3 shut off I felt It and it was unreasonably hot. after leaving for 30 mins to cool i tried powering it on and i get a red light and within seconds powers off. The only reason i was trying to convert was the 4.83 update apparently isnt affecting dex users. Im curious what anyone can give as an idea i have nor back ups.was thinking of buying e3 flasher but im wondering if its a thermal issue and not software brick.

2. 102
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    Well, i can confirm your theory that dex ps3's can connect fine without having to update.

3. 5
    Jinxed96

Jinxed96 Forum Noob

Rather be banned then bricked tbh. I have a theory its syscon brick. Ever scince ive bought it ive had to manually adjust fans to 40% with webman to keep it at 60 c. Syscon fan controls did nothing and they would stay on low speed even whe it was cooking i got this system used so who knows how long it was running that hot. Unfortunately it was a fresh install and i hadn't adjusted fan speed last night. From what ive read syscon bricks are unfixable without soldering a new chip. Im a little out of my element as far as board repair. im trying to figure if it was a coincidence it took a dump on me during rebug toolbox and i should cut my losses, or spend the 30 on an e3 flasher??

4. 2,568
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Syscon is not going to cause an overheat like that, and the only way to brick syscon is by writing corrupted data in it
    What sometimes happens with syscon is it "crashes" and enters in some kind of "zombie" state, where it doesnt reacts to button presses, doesnt controls leds, and his functions are basically "dead"
    But when this happens the PS3 crashes inmediatly and you are stucked in a black screen

When this happens... the only way to "reset" syscon is by disconecting the main power cord for a couple of minutes (to drain all electricity from motherboard). After that syscon returns to work normally

--------------
    So i guess the problem was caused by the fan control software, for some reason it was keeping a low fan speed and you had a fast overheat

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  5. 5
    Jinxed96

Jinxed96 Forum Noob

Appreciate the information its definitely not syscon then. Ive removed psu and held power button for 30 seconds no effect. so in your opinion it sounds like a normal brick? Just wanted to ask some more experienced people before spending the money on an e3 flasher rather then just getting a new ps3.

6. 5
    Jinxed96

Jinxed96 Forum Noob

I need some insight i have cex-eid0.norbin dex-eid0.norbin and eidrootkey is this enough to recover with e3 flasher or do i need bkpps.bin file i had at one point but dont anymore also ive used idpsset to flash idps and i believe these are the files i used

7. 5
    Jinxed96

Jinxed96 Forum Noob

I also have a dump.hex file when i tried using dex-eid0.norbin in ps3dumpchecker i get valid dump every tutorial i see says bkpps.bin but i think these are the files i need

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018