PS3 Possible Hard/Soft Brick. Unsure.

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Grizzlemethis, Nov 10, 2018.

1. 5
    Grizzlemethis

Grizzlemethis Forum Noob

Hey guys, ran into a problem and for the life of me I cant figure out what the issue is. I'm pretty sure its bricked in some form of the sense but not entirely sure.

MODEL - CECHL

I upgraded my console to 4.82 OFW as I wanted to run the xploit tools here;

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps...even-easier-to-install-cfw-on-4-82-ofw.16139/

And get some CFW going.

Anyways, I managed to dump and write without any issues. The trouble began when I wanted to get the CFW installed. I was going through the process of installing ferrox when around 70 ish percent I was getting a corrupted error during the update. So I decided to turn off the console and boot into safe mode and install that way.

I was getting the same issue in recovery mode so I turned off the console. Now when I have gone to turn the console on I am getting no response from the screen like there is no output being displayed.

For fault finding sake I tried another hdmi cable and tv. Still no joy. Even trying to boot into safe mode left me with no visuals on the TV. Then the console turned itself off, and now for some reason my power button is unresponsive. My eject button work and putting a disc into the BD drive boots the console but no visuals still..

I'm guessing something happened during the update and bricked my console?

When I updated to 4.82 OFW I installed it twice as advised in the above thread to mitigate any errors.

2. 5
    Grizzlemethis

Grizzlemethis Forum Noob

If I pull the HDD out and power on the console I can get the the screen about the console not starting due to the storage being missing.

If I were to format the drive would I be able to make any progress from there?

Met the reqs with MinVerChck as well

I still have my original dump as well

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. 2,764
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The initial problem when it started making werid things after firmware installations, and the problem you have now, could be caused by the hdd, yes
    Format it in PC, or replace it by a different hdd

But the other problems related with unresponsive buttons and video output could be a different problem... so maybe you have a problem-combo

4. 5
    Grizzlemethis

Grizzlemethis Forum Noob

Formatting the HDD lets the ps3 boot now, so over the next few days I will see if i can either get CFW or Stock to install and go from there. Having to wait for an official PS3 pad to operate recovery menu as there is an issue with my current controller.

5. 699
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Try 4.82 OFW, if that works, install a second time, and re Xploit.
    Make sure your dump passes validation BEFORE you reboot....to prevent issues like you experience.

6. 5
    Grizzlemethis

Grizzlemethis Forum Noob

Just installed a fresh copy of 4.82, I'll reinstall a second time and go through the process again and see what happens.

I just want to clarify I'm going about this the correct way.

Starting with a fresh formatted HDD > Install 4.82 > Reinstall 4.82 > Dump Flash NOR > Validate Dump with PyPS3 > Write Flash NOR > Install CFW ?

7. 5
    Grizzlemethis

Grizzlemethis Forum Noob

Starting with a fresh formatted HDD > Install 4.82 > Reinstall 4.82 > Dump Flash NOR > Validate Dump with PyPS3 > Write Flash NOR > Validate Dump > Install CFW ?

Sorry missed a step

8. 7,421
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Follow those exact steps.
    https://www.psx-place.com/index.php?posts/108103

9. 699
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

BOTH validates are important, the second validation being before you restart and after flash.
    If second validation was just missed in typing, then nbd. If it was missed in action, and your system still works, you owe the higher power of your understanding a big thanks. Throw a couple stones in the collection plate at your local church or red cross or or something if that's the case.
    Otherwise, you should be up and running if you followed the steps correctly :)