PS3 PS2 Emulation - Get a JB'd PS3 or Get a PS2?

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreaks / CFW' started by ermnski, Nov 27, 2018.

1. 3
    ermnski

ermnski Forum Noob

Hello folks.

I'm looking forward to get a jailbroken console for the first time. I already have a PS3 super slim but I don't want to have it jailbroken since I want to keep it legit. However I am eyeing on some jailbroken PS3 units that I could have some games injected on it.

I know that PS3 CFWs have PS2 emulation going on, but is it any good?

The PS2 games I wanted to play are as follows:
    • Tekken 5
    • Soul Calibur II
    • Burnout 3: Takedown
    • Burnout Revenge
    • Bloody Roar III
    • Bully
    • CVS2
    • Smackdown Here Comes The Pain
    • MVC2
    I know there's a compatibility list, but I am not sure if it's updated as of recently or not so I opted to ask the community. How do these games fare in your consoles when being emulated? I wanted a PS3 since I have existing arcade sticks and controllers that I can use for it.

...or should I just go and buy a modded PS2 with a hard drive?

2. 3
    ermnski

ermnski Forum Noob

3. 297
    umart666

umart666 Member

i think you're in good position because that games are colorful and then they will look good on modern LED tv with ps2 or jb ps3...you can also see if you can emulate them on pc,on first glance i don't remember that games being particularily hard on emulator,but i could be wrong.

whole 'high end xbr or pvm/bvm sony crt and original ps2' trend is more for horror and/or other primarily dark games (in sence of an colour).mid LED tv's and monitors have poor black's (wahed out and/or poor contrast) and only on decent high end OLED black is enough for old silent hills and RE...also,ps3 have quirks when emulating that games and they don't scale so good on 16:9 so most of us want them as we rember them back in the early 00's - proper 4:3 crt with good blacks and original ps2.

you can try to avoid nostalgia and unecesary spending and just emulate them,but if you want ps2 horror games,that's quite expensive and/or time and space consuming sport.

good hunting,stalker

4. 452
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

It depends on your personal preference mate, you stick to original hardware or emulation, its really up to you. I personally own both, a Phat PS2, an original 60Gb PS3 (Backwards Compatible) and a PS3 Slim.

From what i can tell, the emulation on the Non-Backwards Compatible PS3s, specifically the (PS2NET_EMU/NEW_EMU) aka PS2 Classics/Cobra, it can actually run the games quite well, and compatibility its above averege.

Ive run many of my PlayStation2 Original Discs, with the NET EMU, when i had a 2504B PS3 Slim (it died, although i have a 2504B again, its not 3.56 Compatible, so i didnt bother to put HAN on it, because CFW), but to summon, many of the games i play on the 60Gb or an Original PS2, run almost flawlessly, with a few frame rate dipps here and there, but its better than nothing.

The million dollar question remains, why would you pick a PlayStation3 to play PlayStation2 games? Let me enlighten you on that topic:

*Does the PS2 have upscaling methods or smoothing? - No
    *Does the PS2 have unlimited memory cards? - No
    *Does the PS2 have wirless controlers? - No and Yes (you get the point, 3rd party)

And many other features, that the PS3 improves upon his predecessor, not to mention that the HDMI upscaling its so good, that PS2 Component cables look awfull, and you never go back, unless you play it on a CRT, then the original PS2 its the way to go.

Now, if you want to go above and beyond, you can hunt for a original 60Gb, but be warned, there are two versions of the 60Gb (region dependant), if you are in US/JP, you will get the most premium 60Gb PS3 of them all, featuring full 99% backwards compatibility due to the PlayStation2 (EE+GS+EDO RAM) being integrated into the main board (COK-001).

The second option, if you are in EU its to get the 60Gb (CECHC) which features 96/97% of backwards compatibility, due to Sony comming with a new design, ditching completely the (EE+EDO RAM) and leaving only the Graphics Synthesizer (GS), which its known as Partial-Backwards Compatible PS3s, US got the same version known as CECHE, bundled in the Motorstorm and MGS4 in 80Gb HDD.

Now lets get to the needy-greedy, both 60Gb (CECHA/CECHC), if you eventually decide to get one, they will need some work to be done in the long run, they need thermal paste replacements, which its quite obvious, deliding the RSX, and PSU replacement (CECHA Only), and keep it dust free and well ventilated, and do (please for your sake) search for one that hasn´t got much use into it, and get CFW as soon as possible, and crank the fan to 34/36% (due to the 90nm chipsets and Sony Syscon fan profile being utter crap), done there procedures, you can guarantee yourself a long-lasting 60Gb for years too come, these machines arent unreliable, people just didnt take care them back in 2006, treating them like a PS1 or a PS2, which didnt even produce any heat at all.

Ive heard that the CECHA can fetch a high price nowdays, due to the rarity and availability, for that there its an alternative route, its called DECHA00A also known as a PlayStation3 Tool (Debug Unit), which its 100% identical to the CECHA 60Gb PS3, with the addition of being a Debug Unit, and its quite cheap as well, on the side note be aware that there its a certain PlayStation3 model, that although looks like a Backwards-Compatible machine, it actually isn´t, which its another Debug Kit (DECR-1400A), which resembles a 20Gb PS3 (CECHB), the DECR-1400A its basicly a PS3 CECH-2000 in a CECHB01 shell, spotting a DEB-001 main board with 65nm RSX and a 40nm CELL, but ditching the PS2 chips completely, which was released in 2009 i belive.

Now to summon it up, about the compatibility of your desired games on a NON-BC machine:

*TEKKEN 5 - Playable across regions (PAL/NTSC) - will run poorly on Progressive Scan Mode (Released for PS3 as TEKKEN 5 Dark Ressurection)

*Soul Calibur II - Minor Issues (PAL) - Minor Graphical issues and frame-drops (Ghosting and lost frames on a CECHC 60Gb).

*Burnout 3 - Minor Issues (PAL/NTSC) - Race doesn´t run at full speed, Corrupt Save files.

*Burnout Revenge - Playable (PAL) - No issues.

*Bloody Roar III - Major Issues (PAL) - Sound stuttering and graphical glitches almost non noticeable, random crashes at final and special battles.

*Bully - Playable (PAL/NTSC) - Official PS2 Classic

*Capcom V SNK - Playable (PAL/NTSC) - Official PS2 Classic - Huge Imput Lag (Need Emu Config)

*SmackDown - Playable (NTSC) - No Issues

*Marvel V Capcom - Unknown - Probably playable,but you will have to test it yourself.

Thats summons up all the help i could provide for your questions, ill leave the link for the full list of PS2 Compatibility for PS2 Classics on a NON-BC machines:

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List#M

Zazenora, Zar, jcorrea and 1 other person like this.
  5. 7,706
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Zazenora likes this.
  6. 3
    ermnski

ermnski Forum Noob

I tried emulating PS2 with all the various settings for best performance but it's still shitty on my rig. PCSX2 emulation is still a bit sketchy, but it's getting there. It has a long way to go but it's getting there.