PS3 2xxx, How Do I Install A Bluray Only Game

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Stephen Cullen, Feb 8, 2019.

1. 10
    Stephen Cullen

Stephen Cullen Forum Noob

So I've seen that there are tutorials for installing a bluray disc to a HAN PS3 that's newer than 2xxx, but can anyone point me in the right direction to install one on a CFW 4.82 2503A please? I'm trying to search, but I feel like anything I'm finding is outdated by now. I'm looking to install Gran Turismo 5 and I'm wondering if it's possible without HAN on the 2503A is all.

2. 1,102
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    You could use a backup manager such as MultiMAN, IRISMAN or ManaGunZ to rip the disc to the PS3 HDD. Or there are some tut's on how to convert the disc based game to a PSN Digital Game, the HAN method will work on CFW as well but more games will work with this as the PS3 is on CFW if you want them as PSN type games, otherwise just rip the disc to the HDD.

3. 10
    Stephen Cullen

I have multiman installed, but I wasn't even aware that you could use it to install a game. I think the only thing about using HAN is that I'd have to enable it each time, but that's not really an intensive task to perform I guess.

4. 459
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

If you are already on cfw forget about han entirely as it doesn't apply to you. Jist rip your discs using multiman and you are good to go. If you have a compatible bd drive in your pc and prefer to rip the discs and then transferring them to your console via ftp (much faster) the resulting ISOs go in dev_hdd0/PS3ISO or dev_usb0/PS3ISO, or you you are using JB rips you drop them in the GAMES folder in either internal or external HDD

5. 1,102
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Technically its not installing the game but rather making a backup of the disc, the same as if you copied the a disc one your PC. MultiMAN will rip the disc into whats known as " JB folder format ", this is the same structure as the disc itself. Certain games in this format have issue playing and to be honest some of them are quite bizzar.

For example some games in this format will refuse to run unless they are on an External HDD = AC Revelations is a prime example, others will " Black screen " on boot of the game if they are not resigned to FW ver 4.20 = this is normally when you disable the "SYSCAL's " just before signing in to PSN if you want to play online. These are just a couple of examples, and shouldn't really be tackled by people who are new to CFW as it can get very annoying, and complicated to get them to work in this format properly. This format is mainly used by Modder's and a few Dev's, I use this format on all my games so I can mod the graphics of the games.

There is one way to get around this to ensure maximum compatibility of your games and that is to convert the " JB Folder Format " game into an " ISO Disc Image ", either by using one of the Backup Managers I mentioned and doing this on the PS3 or by transferring the game folder to your PC and doing it there. And also being on a CFW with " Cobra " in it and enabled helps to ensure this compatibility with its payloads.

To " Rip " the disc with MultiMAN - (I took some screenshots so it a bit quicker for you to follow then me bashing away on a keyboard lol)

Step One -

Basic steps.png
    < GAME COLUMN >

Step 1.png

Step 2 -

Step three -

MultiMAN will then rip the disc to the PS3's HDD and will appear below the disc when done so you can remove the disc then all you do is select the game and it will be mounted and you will be returned to the XMB to start the game and it should appear on the XMB as a normal game as though you just put the disc in.

Completed -

The bigger the game the longer it takes to copy. This game is about 20GB in size. The biggest game I know of is Killzone 3 and is a whopping 42.3GB in size. Plus when these games are ripped you have to remember if they install data if you would use them as disc's as will still need to do this to run so > DISC SIZE + INSTALL DATA = Total amount of space taken up on the HDD.

Now to convert the JB folder format game to ISO using MultiMAN:

Step 1 - (BTW I used the wrong screenshot here so highlight the HDD game not the disc if you still have it in the drive)

Step 2 -

The PS3 ISO will then be placed in - " dev_hdd0/PS3ISO "

And that's all there is to it. Hope this helps you out.​
    BTW - the game shown here in the screenshot's " MGS5:TPP " is another one that is a mess about to get to work in Folder format, once updated to the latest version it will black screen all the time and refuse to boot at all and works best in ISO format. Though I still have it in JB format lol. = serial offending modder and graphics dev lol.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. 41
    auburn2eugene

auburn2eugene Member

Disabled Vet
    I would sure like to hear how to do this... Is there a tut available anywhere?

7. 10
    Stephen Cullen

I've followed what you said @Cypher_CG89 and tried to rip the game twice, but both times it got to the end of GT.VOL, then just failed and said press square to continue. After I press square I'm just prompted to delete the partial copy from the HDD. What is likely going wrong?

EDIT: Sorry for all the questions, I'm usually good with this stuff, but I'm just new to the PS3 scene is all.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. 1,102
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Is the disc damaged or scratched? Plus fingerprints and such can cause issue with backing them up. I had the same problem with Black Ops and had to go and buy another copy of the game to back it up as there where some scratches on the disc.

To be honest I have never looked for one, as I used to do the graphics on PS3 games it's like second nature to me. If you want to learn then I would suggest The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion to start with as the texture packed into the BSA archive file are all dds textures and all the tools needed can be found free and are out there for you to find. All of the Bethesda games are the best to practise doing this on, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout. Though skyrim use's ddx which is multiple dds files packed into one ddx file and can be a little bit more complicated.

Oblivion -

Texture swapping is pretty simple on this game, they are all dds, its when you want to add something new to the game that it gets more complicated as they need new scripts writing, meshes making and such. There is a creation kit for this but it needs the PC version to run. You would create the mod you want then simply put it in the PS3 version. Only things that would need things that are only available for PC wouldn't work, these are normally "Script extenders". Plus all the sound file are in MP3 format and can also be easily swapped out.

Things available that would be needed: Basics

Oblivion Construction kit - If you wanted to make new things as it come with all you need for making the esp and esm files needed to run custom mods and add on's (requires PC version to run though)

BSA Archive Commander
    - for packing and unpacking bsa archive files.

If you wanted to do this the Pro way -

Photoshop ( with Nvidea dds plugins) - For editing and creating new texture's (GIMP is a free software alternative)

Autodesk 3DS Max - For 3D modelling ( All the major games dev companies use this, but its not free or cheap )

Notepad++ - For writing the scripts file's ( a script de-compiler would be needed to edit existing ones)

And if you wanted to go whole hog then download Unreal Engine 4 - it the most powerful game engine yet, a lot of game's are made with this now including the new RE2 remake - and its free to download and supports 4K games developing, And not only games but CGI in films uses this engine + 3DS max. So Unreal 4 + 3DS Max + Photoshop = a lovely way to develop thing for games.

Also UDK 3 ( Unreal dev Kit 3 ) is a good one to use as you can not only practise making full levels and such but come with and environment where these can be live tested against AI opponents - UDK Games Launcher. This is a full IDE dev kit but is much herder to find now with unreal 4 being out.

Other game require other tools to get at the texture's, some don't have tools available publicly to do this. Some game people have created the tools to do this and google searching for them to find them. Each game has it own way of these being packed. Series of game they tend to be the same. for example the COD games have the textures packed into IPAK file's and in these the texture format is IWI so a IWI to DDS conversion is needed to edit them then back to IWI for the game to run them once packed back into there archives.

The last thing I can advise on is that PC versions of game are much easier to practise on the the console versions as there are more tools to do the jobs and often alterations are made that stops the tools that work on the PC versions from working on the PS3 versions, they seem to work on XBOX versions- don't need to guess why that is lol - XBOX : Microsoft, Window's :Microsoft lol.

But in all honesty for beginners I would start with Oblivion.

9. 10
    Stephen Cullen

The disc doesn't seem to be that bad, but then again it's very hard to clean bluray discs and even small scratches can be very punishing on one since there's so much data. I wasn't sure if the issue was with it reading from the disc or something else. I'll try clean it properly and try it again.

10. 3,420
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The GT.VOL is a "bigfile" name used in gran turismo games... i love and hate that packaging they uses, basically is the whole game in a single file
    So be patient when making a backup of the disc because is a single huge file

Another way to make a backup of the disc is by using irisman... in irisman settings you need to configure it as "dont use bluray emulation"
    When doing that the PS3 reboots... then you can enter in irisman again, insert the disc in the drive and in the game settings choose "copy"

bitsbubba likes this.
  11. 1,102
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

There wasn't much on BO1 either, so what I did was to make a manual backup on the PS3 of the game and sure enough it stopped on the same damn file each time, but as you have already Identified file causing this then there would not be much need for you to try this lol. When I Looked at the disc there was only really one small scratch on it. (and one finger print where I accidentally grabbed it in the wrong place lol)

For cleaning disc's I use an evaporating UPVC cleaner as the base of the disc is clear plastic protecting the data layers underneath. And as it evaporates there is not much chance of its residue being left on the disc. Just spray and wipe in one direction across the face of the disc from one side to the other, not it circular motion.

There are some cleaning machines out there that use a special liquid that contains tiny particle's that gently smooth the disc surface out getting rid of minor surface scratches and polish it up to a brand new look, but you can only do this process to a PS3 disc 2 times, 3 at a push, before you risk permanent damage to the disc for "grinding" the layers down to much.

12. 41
    auburn2eugene

auburn2eugene Member

Disabled Vet
    Thank you very much for this! And it was great timing as I picked up Oblivion and Skyrim yesterday at a flea market for $5.00 now I just need to figure out where and how to purchase the DLC for them. I know I can pirate them but I'm not interested in that. I bought them on the 360 before I RGHed it so I had the DLC for skyrim at least before, but on another system.

I NEVER take my modded systems online. Is it safe to sign into the P$N and buy them? If I bought another ps3 that wasn't modded and kept it just for doing things like making purchases on the P$N, is there a way to get those DLC on my cfw?

13. 1,102
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

If you got the original versions you would have to pay for the DLC but if you got Oblivion GOTY Edition this come with the DLC as does Skyrim Legendary Edition come with all the DLC.

If you haven't got the editions with the DLC then the only way to get them would be to buy them off PSN (If they are still there) and download them to your JB PS3. As long as you take the right precautions > disabling syscals ect you should be ok I have download all sorts of my content from PSN on my JB PS3 for games like COD and MGS and others. But as always there is a risk no matter what you do when signed into PSN.

I know of no way to get the content from the OFW PS3 to the CFW PS3. On CFW you can dump your EID root key to view the content of the HDD on PC but on OFW there's no way to get this key.

14. 41
    auburn2eugene

auburn2eugene Member

Disabled Vet

Thank you good sir. Yeah I knew the GOTY and Legendary Editions had the DLC, and the vendor had them, but I didn't like the idea of $20 each for them when I got the normal editions, 5 for both.

But it's no big deal. I have never played Oblivion before, and have close to 1000 hours in Skyrim through 4 systems (ps3, 360, XB1, and PC.) I've built enough houses and killed enough vampires. I think I'll be fine without the DLC especially if it's going to be difficult to come across. I'll check if they are available on the P$N and if they are, I'll try getting them that way. But if they aren't available, it won't be the end of the world. Especially on games as old as Oblivion.

15. 1,102
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

$20 each? That's a bit steep if they are second hand game's. You could order them on Amazon brand new for less than that. I would of though the DLC would still be there on PSN. I think you'll enjoy Oblivion, it might be older but its nearly twice the size of Skyrim in terms of Quest's, Side Quests and the size of the Map. Plus its a lot more difficult to level up and the UI for skills and such have way more options and combos, more armour and weapons and such and is a hell of a good game to play.