PS3 Slim doesn't make beep sound when turning on

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by justin_credible, Nov 10, 2018.

1. 54
    justin_credible

justin_credible Member

Issue or nothing to worry about? It stopped making a sound about 1-2 weeks ago. I don't think I changed any settings (if there is even such a setting) but it's just silent. Still comes on and works fine though so far at least.

2. 7,422
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Try to start the console but keep pressing the button (about 5 seconds or something) to reset the video mode.
    Normally you should hear 2 beeps there.

3. 2,764
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The buzzer is controlled by syscon, so i guess there must be an official way to disable it by changing a setting inside syscon, but as far i know there is no way to change that setting by "unnofficial ways"

So (option 1) most probably your buzzer is broken

Edit:
    Or... (option 2)... there is some conponent (like a resistor) in between syscon and buzzer that went fryed
    Or... (option 3)... the line in between syscon and buzzer is cutted
    Or... (option 4)... syscon problems

4. 54
    justin_credible

justin_credible Member

When I try to hold the button the system instantly comes on and doesn't beep. Doesn't look like I can get into safe mode anymore. :(

Just a few weeks ago it beeped and I was able to get into safe mode.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 12:24 PM
  5. 54
    justin_credible

justin_credible Member

So with the added information that holding down the button does nothing (just turns it on) should I worry?

Edit: just figured out if I turn it on first then hold the button it will beep and power off then I can hold it and get all the beeps and go into safe mode. Just recently I was able to do it starting from it being off, kinda weird but at least I can get into safe mode in case I need it. Well as long as I can turn it on first.

Edit #2: I rebuild the database, and now it beeps when it comes on again. Guess everything is ok.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 7:53 PM
  6. 2,764
    sandungas

What im going to mention could sond a bit shocking, but have you tryed to disconnect the main power cord ? (for a couple of minutes or so, to drain all electricity from the PS3)

The reason why im mentioning this is because syscon chip is always active, even in standby
    And after a PS3 crash or freeze, etc... sometimes happens that syscon enters in some kind of "idiot mode" (does weird things) or in "zombie mode" (doesnt makes anything) and stays like that semi-permanently, even after turning off the PS3 and in standby
    If this happens the only way to reset syscon is by disconnecting the PS3 main power cord... and after this it returns to normal working

Maybe you had syscon stucked in "idiot mode"

7. 19
    YsonyY

YsonyY Forum Noob

my ps3 stopped beeping too. then one day the beep came and then gone again. after months without a single beep it just came back on it own. i was like what was that strange beeping sound Lmao

8. 54
    justin_credible

justin_credible Member

Yeah I unplugged it, still didn't beep. Only what I did turning on power then holding the button down then holding it again until safe mode came on and rebuilding database fixed it. So if someone else has this problem you might recommend this.

9. 2,764
    sandungas

The rebuilding database should not be involved
    That database is generated by the firmware (and is loaded by the firmware), but at the exact moment you turn on the PS3 the firmware is not loaded yet
    It can be said syscon is "firmware agnostic" because his functions works even without firmware
    Actually, syscon works even without CELL/RSX lol

So... dunno, but that "beep" noises are only dependant of syscon, there is nothing that could interfere the beeps at boot time, except syscon itself (if you force syscon by software to enter in some "idiotic mode" so at the next rebooot it starts doing weird things)

10. 54
    justin_credible

justin_credible Member

I don't know all the fancy words you used but I just know what worked what you said to try didn't work so that's that.

11. 2,764
    sandungas

What im trying to say is it seems your PS3 returned to normal a bit randomnly because rebuilding database should not be related, so i guess in the same way the problem went it could reappear eventually

In other words, you have something that is creating some "inestability" and causes that problem to appear randomnly
    By now use the PS3 normally like if is fixed, but if at some point the problem appears again please post here, i would like to know how this story ends just for curiosity sake