PS3 slim shuts off after 3 seconds

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by oneohthree, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:08 AM.

1. 82
    oneohthree

oneohthree Member

When I press power button while on standby (red light), my PS3 goes green light, then after about 3 seconds it shuts off leaving it without any light on. If I press power button again the light goes red (standby), and then press it again the same thing happens.

I've been suffering this for months. The only way the console turns on is when I turn it upside-down and slap it (yes, weird).

I did the power supply test with success, also I've noticed this issue happens when I don't use the console for about a day or after a heavy use (with a pause in between).

I've opened the console several times, way back before to flash a CFW, and some others to clean it/apply thermal compound.

What should I do? Why is this happening?

2. 47
    dquestagod

dquestagod Member

ex-diesel tech
    What ps3 model you have ? I had a phat that did the same thing. Over heated it seems.

3. 82
    oneohthree

oneohthree Member

It's a slim (CECH-2501A).

4. 12
    ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 Member

Some things to check

Thermal paste - lasts a few years mileage varies

Make sure processors are nice and tight against heatsinks

Might have to check thermal compound under gpu/cpu depending on model

Do a overall check inside

Symptom your describing sounds like YLOD for slims - With occasional boots that's really odd but I have seen GPUS act up

5. 82
    oneohthree

oneohthree Member

Well, as I described it before, I CAN use the system for long periods without issues. Thing happens when I poweroff the console. I've thought about thermal compund under GPU/CPU, but I don't want to take the risk, also temperatures are kindoff low (about 65-67 fan speed at 30-36%). Last time I applied paste I checked processors were tight against heatsinks (I applied the paste put it all together, then put it appart and saw 'peaks').

The WEIRD thing is the "slapping".

6. 3,403
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Not sure what you meant with that, but is important because the problem could be inside it
    The problems you are mentioning matches pretty fine with a partially damaged capacitor, and inside the PSU there are a bunch, and are electrolitic so sometimes is enought with a visual inspection to find the damaged capacitors (because are bulky, have an acid leak at bottom, or have exploded at top)
    In the motherboard there are more voltage regulators and capacitors, but are more tricky to find if are damaged because are not electrolitic (so no visual inspection posible), and to check a capacitor accuratelly is needed to desolder it from the board, if you meassure a capacitor soldered "onboard" you got the capacitance of the capacitor + the capacitance of part of the circuit and other components around it

You should not worry about temperature or how the heatsink is seated by now btw, thats not the problem

oneohthree likes this.
  7. 82
    oneohthree

oneohthree Member

Well, with the console unplugged, pressing eject button while pluging it. I don't know if the correct term is "PSU test" or "fan test".

I will disassemble the console and the PSU for inspection. I have another PSU from a different slim, I will check if it matches with mine.

Thanks for the tips.