PS3 Temperature

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Has18, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 7
    Has18

Has18 New Member

I dont think this is normal my ps3 cpu stays at 74C and rsx 44C in idle then the fan starts to turn up to 95% and it goes to 66-68C. Ive changed the thermal paste on the heatsink. And i would change the paste under the ihs but im scared that i will break it. Is there something else i can do?

2. 6,481
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

temps are subjective to the console. if your chip size is the same for both, both should be about the same temperature; otherwise, temps might have a ten degree or so difference. the same is true of the 360. that temperature difference doesn't sound right.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  3. 261
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

Mine 65 CPU 75RSX in the XMB with Syscon FAN At 28%

With dynamic control 55CPU 60RSX FAN AT %35 AND UP but the fan noise becames so loud.

I want to know whats is normal temperature and if i need to change the thermal paste since i got the ps3 8 years ago, i never changed

4. 6,005
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

CPU is mighty fine at 65c for fan at 28%.
    RSX however is quite high but nothing major if it remains at 75c max on syscon.
    No need to change thermal paste imo.
    We normally consider that neither CPU or RSX should run above 78C & emergency shutdown takes place above 82C iirc.

Ideally you would want to keep everything at 70c max, tweak the dynamic control or manual control to make it so. As long as your fan remains under say 42% to get 70c max, you should not worry. If it gets closer to 50% then it's showing signs of slightly overheating.
    As to noise at 35%, it should not be too bad. Check the state of your fan, clean it our change it if it's really noisy.

Of course those figures would only apply at 25c room temperature & without intensive gaming going on. If you live in a hot country or play high res games then you would need to adjust them accordingly.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:43 PM
  5. 261
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Member

[QUOTE="
    Of course those figures would only apply at 25c room temperature & without intensive gaming going on. If you live in a hot country or play high res games then you would need to adjust them accordingly.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday that i semi-bricked mine and installed Ferrox over it, i got CPU 80% And 85 RSX,
    Yeap i live in a hot country (Brazil), i always set it to dynamic because i think even 60 a lot of hot. but it keeps in this temperature.

These values is only at the XMB , gaming i didnt check, since i'm using my ps3 most of the time for mooding purpose.

Maybe i should open it and clean ( i never cleaned it lol) or as i'll have to open it, i'll change the thermal paste just for precaution.