ps3mfw builder mod

Discussion in 'MFW' started by haxxxen, May 15, 2015.

1. 366
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

hi there.

due to some disadvantages and some minor issues with tools, i have made a mod of toolboy's ps3mfw builder release.

the major disadvantage of reddot's or toolboy's mfwbuilder, you cannot add, rename, delete files from pup file just as easy as with old original 0.2.1 builder. you have to do some annoying workaround to solve this problem and it was due to the tar re-creation routine he/they have used.

the other thing is, the created pups with their builders behave weird on installation. they work fine, nonetheless.
    but if you exactly follow the installation procedure and notice the installation percents, the mfws created with either toolboy's or reddot's builder only go up to about 45 - 50%. this is not the case with original builder, where the pup installation percents go up almost completely.

this is a sideeffect of pkgtool from toolboy, which results in this behaviour.

so i took the chance and made a hybrid of toolboy's mfwbuilder paired with original mfwbuilder. this one uses all of toolboy's tools and routines to extract pup, pkg and tar files, but it uses all the original routines to re-pack the pup files.

so no more problem on adding, removing, renaming files from pup with this builder version and there is also absolutely no permission problem from original builder.

furthermore, i have changed the way of detecting and differentiating between old 3.xx and new 4.xx firmwares. this means, you can now modify this 3.55 dex downgrader and REBUG 3.55.4 CFW, or you can even create your own 3.55 downgrader, which have spkg support

i also have modified all of glevand's 3.55 otheros tasks, to make it work with toolboy's patchtool. also i have ported all of his patches and they will work for 4.xx as well.

i have made myself now a 4.21OtherOs++ pup, and i do not have to go down to 3.55 anymore. i can resize with this pup on 4.21 just fine the hdd. for this i have added patches to either select 10gb or 22gb for linux vflash partitition, which should be more than enough.

there are 3 folder with tasks, my personalized ones, toolboy's tasks and glevand's 3.55 tasks

ps3mfw-mod.rar

credits go to the original authors and of course reddot and toolboy! i have only modified most of the patches to be more dynamically

edit
    oh, and this version is for more advanced users and only at own risk

github link, which gets updated
    https://github.com/haxxxen/ps3mfw-builder-0.2.1-mod

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    kozarovv likes this.
  2. 562
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

This is amazing progress!! Grats!! Do you think its possible to do the otheros++ functions with resize on newer firmware than 4.21 (like for instance 4.65.1 or 4.70.1?)
    I think you know where i'm going with it (REX) :)

3. 366
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

those patches should work fine for any version and i have run a 4.70 ofw through it, but not flashed. only my 4.21 rebug otheros++.

toolboy has made some awesome magic with his patches and most of them work completely dynamic.

about otheros support patch, it is patched in every rebug firmware and thanks to habib there is an otheros 4.50 patch task. but it is something more advanced, which i cannot port that easily (without reversing it first).

4. 4,377
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Ensō Tester Moderator Developer

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:
    Patched my Rebug Rex 4.21.2 Cobra 7.1 (the one you made for me)with a 22gb Linux partition and a 10gb partition both installed just fine. Had my E3 ready just in case. Seems to be working just fine. Thanks so much as this was the "missing link" from 3.55 to 4.xx firmwares. Now anyone care to tackle the PS3User Cheat 3.55 dongle pkg that was dumped for 4.xx like CU3 so I no longer need this dongle or anything else.

5. 540
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer

Nice, I see your mod make well formed raw CoreOS, with a good size. (that may explain % at install...)
    ;) Thanks.

6. 562
    psykosis

this would definitely be a nice update for [MENTION=20]habib[/MENTION] starbucks 4.7 1.03 or rebug 4.70.1

7. 366
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

yes, exactly. this pkgtool from toolboy works great regarding pkgs and coreos, BUT it somehow repacks the coreos and also flash pkgs differently, which results in a lower installation percentage. i did not have problems with those created mfws, but it has bugged me much.

it was Joonie and habib who have made me aware of this and i was wondering why it only installs to a specific percentage. i then started to add the old tools, especially those modified spkg versions from evilnat and coreos tools and soon realized the differences.

in the end, the first mod versions didn't work very well, but this one i have tested the last few days and it works fine (to me). and it is not limited to 4.21, some might think. it uses all of toolboy's patches, which he made unique in a great way. his patchtool is priceless in combination with mfwbuilder.

8. 540
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer

I just patched the Rebug REX 4.70.1 with your personnalized OOS lv1 task for 4.xx. Launched clevand's "create_hdd_region.sh", and installed Red Ribbon internally. Everything worked like a charm :)
    A big thank [MENTION=46]haxxxen[/MENTION] again.

[MENTION=29]Joonie[/MENTION], just to notify I had an insignifiant "bug" with the toolbox when installing petitboot. I forgotten to plug my USB key containing the dtbimage before to start the installation (lol). So the installation froze without warning message saying the file was missing. So, I exited the toolbox via PS button.

Also, I don't know if it is possible, but, it should be great to be able to swap a patched OOS++ emer_init.self from the toolbox. Just an idea ;)

9. 366
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

thank you much for your report and i am glad you like it. i was messing also with otheros and red ribbon lately, so i had get these working smoothly.

i don't want credits for this, cause all the others have done the hard work on it to make it work. i just have modified it here and there, nothing more.

btw, i am starting to make my own github for this mod of mfwbuilder, and i also have now an rebug exclusive task. i don't think there will be an official release of it, so i made now a task for 3.55.4 and 4.21.2, where you can create a d-rex version on your own from rex version. i will add this on the github when i am done.

10. 562
    psykosis

Always improving an amazing software!!

Keep up good work!

11. 540
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer

Some friends over LS forum asked me to share this modded REX. So, if some of you are interested : Red ribbon ne d

12. 4,377
    atreyu187

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:
    If anyone is interested (I doubt it other then haxxxen who made the .diff patch for my PUP) I have Rebug 4.21.2 REX Cobra 7.1 with OtherOS++ 22gb partition. Has all the tweaks of Rebug and Cobra 7.1 plus some more goodies haxxxen added like a direct swapping of the PS1 emu files using L2+X when mounting a PS1 image and the PSP Save data patch with R1+X that fixes some games like Locco Rocco. Biggest perk of this firmware is it has compatibility with CU3 dongle but also supports PS3MAPI as well for RTM.

13. 366
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

just keep in mind, with otheros++ patches (all of them applied), you will still get trophy and savedata errors on games, just like with 3.55. it is the patch "access all ss services".

furthermore, i have found that this coldboot fix seems not to work right on 4.xx with ps2 games (maybe it is its purpose?). it gives me blackscreen on ps2 games when started.

maybe this should be tested on a nand before sharing with others. i only have a nor console and i do not want to be a 2nd waninkoko.
    i have took the tools from gitbrew dump (mostly based on glevand) and i have compiled cospkg and cosunpkg myself with mingw, but they do not have this function to create list.txt i have noticed now.

edit
    i hope it is not too late to post this and there is no problem with nands. sorry that i did not test it well before posting

i have no problem with it, and i would have done it myself, but there is really no demand for 4.21 anymore. tbh, i was happy when you asked me about it, lol.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  14. 4,377
    atreyu187

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:
    I have access to a NAND based system I can test on some time this week for you but will not be for two days or so. He also has a progskeet hooked up so a brick isn't gonna be an issue. Haven't had any issues with the one PS2 game I played but again I'm using 4.21.2 so not sure if that's the issue. Also haven't noticed trophies but I'm replaying all four of the Batman games again getting ready for Arkham Knights so I already had the trophies. It also made me recall just how bad Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe is but its still better on PS3 then trying to play on my PSTV again emulating the touchscreen. Even with a DS4 the game can be a PITA.

15. 540
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer

I just applied the 10gb hdd free space patch. None of others, as rebug already have all reqired features.

And don't worry if any troubles. Peoples are warned of risks.

16. 127
    boxbundy

boxbundy Member

What sort of savedata and trophy errors? Just a message or won't they work?

17. 366
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

that single patch gives error on gamedata/trophy install/loading when you start games and you have to exit. not all games are affected, but many of them. if you intend to use only otheros++ without gaming, you can apply this patch, otherwise i would do it with rebug toolbox. besides, those patches are all included in toolbox.

18. 4,377
    atreyu187

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:
    Yea I only applied 22gb partition patch as well so all should be good to go as well.

19. 127
    boxbundy

boxbundy Member

so what happens? Do the affected games work? Is it just an error message or will the gamedata not work? Bit more detail please

20. 366
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

o_O
    have you read my last post? those games you have to exit and do not work

anyways, i have created now a repository on github with this new rebug task

https://github.com/haxxxen/ps3mfw-builder-0.2.1-mod