Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3 HAN PS3Xploit v3 HAN Image Font Replacer [imagefont.bin]

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit Tools & Utilities' started by esc0rtd3w, Mar 28, 2018.

1. 776
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    UPDATE 20180420:
    DEX 4.82 Support Now Added!

This tool is for replacing the imagefont.bin file in flash!

See PSDevWiki for details on this file

imagefont.bin works as an "icon container" that has lot of small icons (static or animated) inside, most of them are intended to be displayed in between text lines... so has around the height of a text character (are going to be scaled on real time to the text height)
    Ever icon has an identifyer that matches with the unicode identifyers of the real text characters inside the TTF fonts (used by the PS3 firmware everywhere)

All TFF fonts has a "character map" that is huge (several hundreds of characters), most of them are empty though
    The icons inside imagefont.bin has preference over the characters inside TTF files... so lets say if we create a custom icon inside imagefont.bin with the identifyer of the character X... then your custom icon is going to appear at every text of the PS3 where is used the characer X
    Replacing X with an icon is not much usefull, ok, is just an example :)

What sony did for most of the icons inside imagefont.bin is to use identifyers for them that matches with empty characters inside the TTF files
    This way the icons inside imagefont.bin doesnt interferes with the characters of the TTF font files
    If you add custom icons inside imagefont.bin this way... your custom icons are going to appear only in your custom text lines added by you (where you are including the special character identifyer that makes appear the icon)

In short, this are the two ways to take advantage of imagefont.bin.... by replacing characters that appears commonly in texts (so you are overriding the characters in TTF files)... or by making them unique (and are only visible in text lines that was added unnofficially to the firmware)

Edit:
    This research about imagefont.bin was a bit experimental though, the format is known around 96% (there are 3 or 4 details still unknown but doesnt seems to have much importance), and we dont have a tool to rebuild imagefont.bin yet

[​IMG]

SUPPORTS OFW and CFW
    HAN "DOES NOT" Need Enabled For This!

How To Use:

• Download Image Font Replacer ZIP archive
    • Extract the files
    • Place imagefont.bin file on USB flash drive or select one of the internal HDD options**
    • Navigate to this link or use local files above and a webserver
    • Run the exploit from page and allow console to reboot fully
    • Done! Enjoy your new Image Font :D

** You can also create a package that holds resources or files to copy using Extra Tools and use this instead of USB as source. Default directories are /dev_hdd0/game/PS3XPLOIT/extras/ and /dev_hdd0/game/HANTOOLBX/files/

Hosted on official site: ps3xploit.com (v3 HAN Tools -> Extra Tools -> Font Replacer -> Image Font Replacer)
    Source Code: github.com/PS3Xploit/imagefont-replacer

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    pinky, Labestiajake, Kinglol and 5 others like this.
  2. 435
    junaid

junaid Member

SHOWING DE WAY
    So you are slowly finding the things that can be done on OFW.

deezeewhytea, Kinglol and esc0rtd3w like this.
  3. 42
    ram.

ram. Member

Awesome work!

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  4. 5
    FabianKha

FabianKha Forum Noob

how would it look? Does someone have an image to know how it would look?

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  5. 2,764
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

This needs a small explain :)

imagefont.bin works as an "icon container" that has lot of small icons (static or animated) inside, most of them are intended to be displayed in between text lines... so has around the height of a text character (are going to be scaled on real time to the text height)
    Ever icon has an identifyer that matches with the unicode identifyers of the real text characters inside the TTF fonts (used by the PS3 firmware everywhere)

All TFF fonts has a "character map" that is huge (several hundreds of characters), most of them are empty though
    The icons inside imagefont.bin has preference over the characters inside TTF files... so lets say if we create a custom icon inside imagefont.bin with the identifyer of the character X... then your custom icon is going to appear at every text of the PS3 where is used the characer X
    Replacing X with an icon is not much usefull, ok, is just an example :)

What sony did for most of the icons inside imagefont.bin is to use identifyers for them that matches with empty characters inside the TTF files
    This way the icons inside imagefont.bin doesnt interferes with the characters of the TTF font files
    If you add custom icons inside imagefont.bin this way... your custom icons are going to appear only in your custom text lines added by you (where you are including the special character identifyer that makes appear the icon)

In short, this are the two ways to take advantage of imagefont.bin.... by replacing characters that appears commonly in texts (so you are overriding the characters in TTF files)... or by making them unique (and are only visible in text lines that was added unnofficially to the firmware)

Edit:
    This research about imagefont.bin was a bit experimental though, the format is known around 96% (there are 3 or 4 details still unknown but doesnt seems to have much importance), and we dont have a tool to rebuild imagefont.bin yet

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    DeViL303, pinky and esc0rtd3w like this.
  6. 776
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    thanks @sandungas

added your info to OP...hope its ok :)

BlastOnThe3 and sandungas like this.
  7. 9,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

this is something I don't know much about. thanks @sandungas for that explanation.

btw, @esc0rtd3w , do you plan to have a normal font installer?

BlastOnThe3 and esc0rtd3w like this.
  8. 2,764
    sandungas

Yes thx, it was a rought explain thought and probably can be shorted
    In the imagefont.bin included in the zip there is some custom icon ?, maybe a ps3xploit logo, now im curious what you did :)

littlebalup was making an app to rebuild imagefont.bin, but it was not completed yet, i guess he will release it eventually
    An interesting detail i remember at the time of experiments is either littlebalup or devil303 deleted the imagefont.bin from flash, and rebooted PS3 :D (for science)
    And the PS3 firmware was working fine, the only problem it had it was in some menus where it should appear an icon from imagefont.bin the PS3 was displaying a _ instead, but everything was working normally
    So initially... seems safe to mess around with it, you can corrupt or delete it and PS3 doesnt cares much about it (i guess as a failsafe the PS3 loads the character from the TTF files)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  9. 2,764
    sandungas

Im thinking in something that is the kind of thing than before reading it should be labeled as "not sure if genious or retarded"
    The goal is to use imagefont.bin as some kind of registry, to store some settings in it intended to be displayed on screen
    I know there are other ways to do this, but the advantage of what im going to say is it doesnt needs any running (unnofficial) proccess to work

The idea is to dedicate one of the unused unicode characters to store icons that represents "switches"
    Lets say we use character 435 for the han installation state
    Then we have an imagefont.bin where the character 435 is an icon that tells "INSTALLED"
    And another imagebont.bin where the character 435 is an icon that tells "NOT INSTALLED"

And now at the time of installing HAN (or checking for the installation) you just need to replace/rename the imagefont.bin files
    The contra is needed to have 2 imagefont.bin files in flash, if i remember correctly was big

Is a bit limited, but this way you can store and display (some kind of) "settings" in screen in HAN firmwares without need to have any unnofficial running process

esc0rtd3w and DeViL303 like this.
  10. 2,764
    sandungas

Definitivelly, what i said was a bit retarded

If you want to show different "states" on screen, the better way is by replacing the XML files that contains that texts
    So you have an XML that says: "This setting is: [character 435]"
    And another that says: "This setting is: [character 436]"

This way you are loading icons from the same imagefont.bin which contains the custom icons: 435 says "ON" and 436 "OFF"

esc0rtd3w and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 4,221
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Home Page:
    That's a cool idea sandungas, using Xmls is ok but it can get tricky when you have too many interconnecting xml and then you are toggling them. It would be perfect for indicating han enabler status if han could patch the icon in RAM, so a separate imagefont.bin would not be required.

Here is another idea that is maybe genius or retarded. Someone could add large color images, even an animated full screen image to the epilepsy warning for example, with each "pixel" being made up from an imagefont.bin icon. :D

Ok, retarded too as a lot of work. But would be funny to see. :)

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  12. 776
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    i didn't change the file haha

i wasn't sure what to even change :-p

i really like your idea of using it as a "registry" to hold bits

13. 4,221
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Along those same lines, I wonder could a text entry in an xml/rco be patched in RAM to say "Enabled" instead of what it really says which is "Disabled"? If that patch could be applied along with HAN enabler then the user would always know HAN status, it could even be something quite subtle, like the colour of the clock changing slightly, or a tiny "H" appearing beside the clock or something, H for HAN or Hacked :)

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  14. 776
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    One issue I see is just the fact that every time VSH is reloaded, the memory patches for HAN are gone.

The imagefont or XML mod wouldn't show until VSH reloaded anyways.

I really like these ideas and I'm trying to wrap my head around how we could make something like that work!

DeViL303 likes this.
  15. 4,221
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Oh, Are they? you mean if you enter a game and exit it?

Well that breaks that idea then. I thought you could patch them "on screen" if you know what I mean? I know if you delete an xml it has no effect as its loaded, but it must be loaded somewhere? cant you patch it there. Even if it has to be in
    GFX buffer :D

16. 9,404
    pinky

if you can alter the clock, it would tex_busy under system_plugin.rco. that's for the clock face. I'm not sure how you'd go about changing adding something to the clock which is in another rco (xmb_plugin_normal.rco). you might have to do something to the sprx which is named differently to the rco.

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  17. 776
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    Just exiting a normal ps3 game I think is fine and all patches stay. If launching PS2 and PSP for sure reload VSH. I'm unsure about PS1

Currently we can replace sprx with DEX or other original signed SPRX, from testing anyways. Any modified SPRX will for sure fail to load and probably kick back to recovery.

18. 9,404
    pinky

here's an idea (maybe). the xmb_plugin.sprx (both cex and dex) are a part of rebug rex. the dex version contains additional information such as I think ip address of the system on the bottom right of the screen. however, I'm not sure if that information is a part of dex firmware or something added by rebug. I think it's the former since a lot of people didn't seem to like it, so it was removed from cex but is still present in dex afaik.

19. 435
    junaid

junaid Member

SHOWING DE WAY
    So we can replace cex with dex aswell right? On 3k/4k consoles. I might be wrong '_'

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  20. 462
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Now,now.Dont get your hopes up for homebrew.