Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3 PSA: Some games allow to delete duplicate data

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit Tools & Utilities' started by krug, Nov 6, 2018.

1. 12
    krug

krug Forum Noob

Hi, first of all i want to thank every member of the PS3Xploit team for the HAN exploit and the HAN toolbox, finally i can play my DVD9 ps2 games again (my ps2 is pretty old and won't read them anymore :\)
    I also backed up a couple of my ps3 games, and noticed some of them still require the game data to install, even if the backup pkg should, in theory, have all the data already there, but i guess this is because the console thinks you're using a disc. The problem is some game discs install the whole data to the console, so if you back them up they end up taking twice the space they actually need! I don't have alot of space left in my HDD, so i looked for a solution, but i only found the shadow copying method for CFW users. So i decided to try using the file explorer included in HAN toolbox and tried deleting the game files in the installed backup folder (the BLES/BLUS one, not NPEB/NPUB, that's where the update and game data gets installed) like the engine and cutscenes, leaving the licence and other files intact. I tried this with 3 games: Silent Hill Downpour, Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 and Dark sector, because they're low in size and all of them install the whole data to the hard drive. UMVC 3 and dark sector failed with this method and i had to reinstall the backup pkg, but SH Downpour worked, flawlessly, i started a new game and everything was intact. The only difference is that now the backup .pkg data is 30 mb, as opposed to 4,20 GB. I don't plan on doing this with other games because the majority of my games are on disc and i don't plan on backing all of them up, but this could be very useful for other users. Oh, here's a little extra: remember that awful, buggy silent hill HD collection? Well, i tried backing up that too for curiosity, and while silent hill 2 boots, silent hill 3 freezes the console as soon as you select it from the launcher. So i looked into the installed backup folder and unlinked the "sh3" folder. Silent Hill 2 still runs, and the waste of space that was the sh3 data is no longer there.
    That's about it, i haven't found a tutorial about this anywhere else and decided to do one myself.

2. 9,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I believe there's a file that indicates whether or not game data has been installed, at least the one game I'm thinking of. the one game I'm thinking of lists the files, and changes the extension from .str to .end. I don't know if other games are like this, but this may remove the need for installing game data. this was needed when the game's install of game data was corrupted back on 3.55.

krug likes this.
  3. 12
    krug

krug Forum Noob

I see, so it may be possible to edit that file before using cfw2ofw?

4. 9,404
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

no idea. I think the file is text only, and it's the only game I've seen with this file, so I assume that it's standard.

5. 12
    krug

krug Forum Noob

That's interesting, i remember seeing a similiar file in the UMVC 3 folder when i backed it up. I'll check it again later

6. 273
    complexusername

complexusername Member

IT Consultant
    Silent Hill HD collection is not worth playing. It's super buggy. You're better off playing the PS2 versions (or PC).

7. 7,611
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

PS3Xploit Team is responsible for the exploit : bguerville ,esc0rtd3w, habib, W

HAN Toolbox is a separate release not from the PS3Xploit team but DeViL303 another developer in the community.

Many people get these mixed up ...

DeViL303 likes this.
  8. 12
    krug

krug Forum Noob

I took a look at the ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 (europe) it has a folder and a file called "gdatainstall"
    UMVC3.png UMVC32.png
    I don't know how to deal with these as i'm not familiar with modifying game files, but i'm leaving this here, maybe someone could find it useful.

Yeah i know that, as i said it was just for curiousity, i wanted to see if it booted up at all because this collection already is a mess, and some hd collections (i mean good ones) have problems when backed up and converted to han format, sometimes you're only able to boot one game from the launcher. Which is exactly what happens here as silent hill 3 (the buggiest of the two, unplayable in the hd collection IMO) freezes. But yeah i do have them on ps2 as well and would never recommend the hd collection to anyone.

I'm sorry, i mistakenly thought Devil303 was part of the team, my bad. Part of the team or not, his han toolbox is so good it's unbelievable, i read the next version is even going to have the offline mode built into it

complexusername likes this.