PSP Theme creation

Discussion in 'General PSP Discussion' started by Berion, Sep 15, 2017.

1. 969
    Berion

Berion Developer

Hi,
    someone know how can I make proper 8bit icons for this junky Sony application named PSP Custom Theme Converter? I have always using pngquant to automatically reducing image from 24/32bit to 8bit and always work well. But not in this case, resulted image is kind of semi-transparent...

pspthm_pspct_preview_of_8bit_icon.png

I have check this on Adrenaline on PSV, and looks the same as above. :|

I have also read many tutorials on the net but they all are unprofessional, and they all telling user to use indexed palette with one colour - which resulting image looks like shit. Below is resized compare 8bit images with 32bit CLUT and 2bit CLUT:

pspthm_8bit_icons_comparsion.png
    So the logical conclusion would be that this app and/or PSP doesn't support 32bit indexed pallet in 8bit images? Wrong! Because this problem doesn't exist when I read bitmap for glowing this icon (background additional glow after user chose item in menu is on separate bitmap), and also in docs are state that all icons must be 8bit *with* 32bit palette...

Here is 8bit icon in form which I using in broken theme (and for God sake, it works and displaying properly even in forum engine...): pspthm_8bit.png

2. 12
    esmjanus

esmjanus Developer

kozarovv and Berion like this.
  3. 969
    Berion

Berion Developer

I have downloaded this program, but didn't use it yet, just started reading readme file. And eureka!
    So I open 32bit file in Photoshop, change opacity layer to 99%, save it, reduce it by pngquant and everything is ok...

mem_sony.jpg

Thanks. I would never figure out it without this clue. Sony failed me again. :|

sandungas, esmjanus and kozarovv like this.
Tags: