PSX games save data. PKG or BIN?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Neal Cullum, Oct 9, 2017.

1. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

Hi everyone,

Basically have over 100 PSX games and transferred them to PS3 in BIN format but if it's multi disc games I have to mess about going into file manager in multiman to change game save name so it loads up properly.

Would converting them to PKG files make them run better without changing file names for save data? Or can I use my BIN files but make multi disc games work easier?

Thanks

2. 5,210
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Why you need to change file name? Cab you give some example? I think that you are launching games thru netemu, and because of that you have one memory card to one game. Laubching games thtu ps1emu will resolve your issue.

3. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

For example when I completed FF IX disc 1 I saved the game. Then I loaded up disc 2 but it wouldn't find the save so I have the change the save data from xxx1 to xxx2 (can't remember the file extension). I've used webman mod and multiman and it's the same for both. What's the ps1emu you mentioned?

4. 779
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Are the different executables of the PS1 emulators (PS3 firmware has several PS1 emulators)
    ps1_emu.self <--- officially used for real CD games inserted in the drive
    ps1_netemu.self <--- officially used for the "PS1 classics" format (used by the PS1 games availables on the PSN store)
    ps1_newemu.self <--- im not sure when is used this one

Every format uses different savegames locations, also multidisc games needs to be managed in a special way (there are some descriptors for "disc1" "disc2" etc... that needs to be associated), in the "PS1 classics" format this is specifyed as part of the game installation

But with backup managers we are using ISO (or BIN) format, without any more info (the emulator doesnt knows if the game is multidisc)... so the savegame management is not so easy

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  5. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

Thanks for your answer. So do you reckon if I use something in ps3tools that I would be able to change PSX ISOs or bins to a more recognisable format so that it's easier to save games?

6. 779
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

No, sorry i dont have any good suggestion to solve your problem, im not very used to the different booting methods the scene has been using along the years so im not sure what does each exactly, i was mostly explaining a bit overall how the ps1 emus works because i did learn about this details not much time ago

The problem with the savegames of ps1 multidisc games is the paths of the savegame needs to be passed to the emulator as arguments at boot time, if you dont do that then the emulator doesnt knows where is the savegame (and such, the game doesnt knows either)

So your problems seems to be caused because in multidisc games when booting disc 2... is needed to specify the path of the savegame generated by disc 1 as an argument

This is the theory (i think), is someone thinks i made some mistake in the explain feel free to correct me

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Neal Cullum likes this.
  7. 6,025
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I believe the save files are listed with the same name as the bin. pkg files are listed elsewhere. I believe they're in the dev_hdd0/home/profile id/savedata. you can swap discs with the ps1 emulator. I don't know how it works with .bin files though, because the save file is named after the .bin, so u may have legend of dragoon (disc 1), but the save may reflect that, so legend of dragoon (disc 2) might present a problem. it needs to be like the xbox 360 where the save data is used regardless of disc. u can even trick it by loading disc 2 with a disc 1 save, and it will load disc 1 automatically..

Neal Cullum likes this.
  8. 6,025
    pinky

I forgot to mention that the changing discs thing on the 360 is a part of dashlaunch, the cobra equivalent on the xbox 360 (maybe a plugin could be made to negate this confusion.) it can boot plugins, give u temps even while playing an xbox game, and even allow you to fake a live connection to play indie games. I assume that was done since they have no rating and playing online voids a rating system since you never know what to expect.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  9. 5,210
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I truly have no idea how to change emu now, didn't messed with this for long time. As far as I know you can do this by un-commenting this line https://github.com/Joonie86/COBRA-7...135ec1/481/REX/SRC/stage2/modulespatch.c#L193

And compiling cobra again. Not sure is still work like this. Maybe @Joonie can help here.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  10. 6,025
    pinky

I don't know what the newemu does, but the net one is for pkg'd games and the normal emu one is for discs. it could be that the newemu is meant to replace the normal emu, and it would be too much of a hassle to remove the old emu from coding. this wouldn't be the first time sony has done this.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  11. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

Hopefully Joonie will sort this issue out if he releases his cobra version. I'll try ISOs and PKGs and see if they makes a difference with saving and loading. If I get anywhere I'll report back here.

12. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

Figured out that if I have PSX PKG files installed then the in-game settings lets you change discs. So basically it's all sorted. Know just need to figure out how to put all PSX PKG games in one folder without having to mess about changing the folder name individually for each game

13. 877
    Berion

Berion Developer

I have playing games from PSS and they are using the same VMC (external) as disc games. I have completed FF7 and some other multidisc games and I don't have any problems finding vmc and saves on it. PKG with PSX games comes with VMC but they are for PSP, not for PS3 (instead of PS2 PKGs which using "internal" encrypted VMC).

I have never mounting PSX disc images by i.e multiMAN but logic telling me they are threatening the same as disc games so they should using *.VM1.

So summary, IMO all PSX games should seeking assigned "dev_hdd0/vmc/*.VM1", and next disc games using GameID+VerID from disc no. 1 saves just like on real PSX.

I cannot understand Your problem. The only problem I see in launching *.bin instead of PSAR is the fact that only few games allow player to save at the end of the disc so for i.e Chrono Cross or MGS, You need some way to change discs (discs images) without turning off the game or NOPing getcd() like in times when POPS on PSP wasn't support multidiscs.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    sandungas likes this.
  14. 779
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Wait, are you telling that there is an option in "xmb-ingame" to swap disc that appears ONLY if you have one or more "PS1 classics" games installed ? (even if that installed games are different than the one you are playing when opening the "xmb-ingame" menu)

This is new to me, and is a bit shocking but if is true i think is related with some "switch" inside xregistry.sys
    The same switch that changes the title of the PSP XMB folder... from "PSP minis"... to "PSP remasters"... etc...
    The name of this folder changes based in the kind of content you have installed... and the only way i imagine this could be working is by storing this info in xregistry.sys

In other words... to have this option available we need to have at least one "PS1 classic" game isntalled ?... this sucks
    But maybe we can bypass this by enabling the correct value in xregistry manually (i think there are 3 posible states for that names... and from them we should use the value that enables all them)

Just a theory o0

-------------------
    Edit:
    Damn, i just realized im mixing together PSP and PS1 formats... so it should not be as i said... but anyway maybe the PS3 is doing something like that

15. 779
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Can you take a read at this pages and tell me if there is something wrong or that needs to be added ?
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS1_Savedata
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Savedata
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PSP_Savedata

I splitted the old savedata page in wiki in that ones, the original page is something i wrote it lot of time ago and never was much updated

Edit: i mean mostly about the memory card formats and paths... and the allowed import/export options from one format to another different one
    In few words... im asking for help to check the info inside the tables at top at that pages

Berion likes this.
  16. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

Yes if when you load up a PSX PKG game, press the home button and it brings up lot of options, there is an option to change discs, the option works only when you need to swap discs.

I am in the process now of downloading PSX PKG's with RAP files and away i go.

17. 779
    sandungas

sandungas Developer

Ok, is because is an official "PS1 classic", the multidisc ones has a menu that appears in xmb-ingame where you can see all the disc numbers, and from there you can select the one you want to load
    You can do this swapping at any time while playing, i think, right ?
    I think this does like a reset of the emulator to load the new disc... but keeping the savedata path of the first disc

What i said about xregistry.sys was an small brainfart, lol

18. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

The change disc option is there but I couldn't change disc, I think it's only when it's needed to happen if you're end of a disc or loading up a save. I've found a really good website to download psx PKGs and rap files, I'll have to see if they are all ps1 classics, I think some aren't though.

19. 11
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum New Member

Ive been using reactpsn to activate rap files rather than psnpatch because for some reason I can't activate my PS3 when I log into PSN. Reactpsn does the job anyhow.

20. 1,861
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

the only drawback from using COBRA way of launching PSX ISO files is that multi disc support that's not supported.

the old IRIS method works fine with this, or you could convert the multi ISO game to PKG by the method introduced by @zecoxao

btw, I found a post about the save issue that you had, it appeared to be that seems to be working?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps3hacks/comments/3vtjde/webman_multidisc_ps1_games_and_remote_mounting/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 4:19 AM