PSX-Place needs your donation (No money wanted)

Discussion in 'Site Rules & Announcements' started by STLcardsWS, Aug 10, 2017.

1. 5,923
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

So yea, we need your support and donations, however we do NOT want your money (go buy a new game instead), we simply are asking the community to donate a bit of time and effort to psx-place from time to time, We have many open positions on the psx-place team that need to be filled, Writers, Moderators, Uploaders (Homebrew) . but i think more importantly small contributions from many is the biggest need and something that would be nice to see.

The Feed: This can be one of the easiest things anyone can help with and it helps many in the community.
    • Post just a link to News/Release/Interesting topics
    • Or a bit more effort by going all out and write a full article

If you want to give back to psx-place, best way is to give back to the community, by taking part in keeping the news and topics moving, which is an essential piece of the scene

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    thehero_, ed89, MixeryMaxe and 7 others like this.
  2. 775
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Bumpity bump bump.

3. 343
    ed89

ed89 Member

like the fact this forum never beg for money for vip status or somethings like that (other websites does)

I might help a little if l get time maybe

STLcardsWS likes this.
  4. 775
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Im sure that the boss man would appreciate any time or anything that contributes to the site. It doesnt have to be a full blown article, although that would be appreciated and is the main goal. For the meantime, something as simple as generating news stories for the feed and can be as simple as a few words about what it is and a link/source. I believe his end game is to find reliable writers or reporters for the site. Similiar to what the temp has, and wololo with aurora. I hope it happens, no site in this scene deserves it more than here in my opinion. I just have to much going on personally and am not in a place yet in life where im comfortable enough to have time to commit like that, yet.......

ed89, UniqueUserName and STLcardsWS like this.
  5. 759
    Berion

Berion Developer

I can contribute few tutorials but all are in Polish and @kozarovv is to soft to translate such wall of text (and my English is... You know ;p).

6. 775
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

i think you do pretty damn good with english berion. Use google to translate em, and then pm em to me, i can make neccessary changes that google misses and make sense of it.

Berion and STLcardsWS like this.
  7. 5,923
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Can't compare PSX-Place to wololo / Hackinformer / GBAtemp. They are for profit sites.

Every single thing we do is out of pocket, So unlike those sites that not only pay for the site expenses they produce profits as well, we do not have near the same type of resources as one would imagine,. Yet many consider us one of the top homebrew sites. It takes alot of dedication and work from our team as you know, but can't compare us with them as its not a fair comparison

Personally not sure how much more psx-place can continue to offer the community without some help from the community (again not money). As much as we have done at psx-place and when we ask for simple help (posting a link) to not get it (as this not the first request), you start to wonder why you do all this for the community. People may appreciate it and the site and what we have done but when the sole thing you ask in return in not meet, it is discouraging to be honest. Considering all that we have done .. Again you can't compare what wololo Temp Hackinformer does because the question for them would they do it for free or better yet at an expense to themselves??? Not that i expect them to do so, but that is why comparing them with us is not the same.

its at a point where i can not enjoy the scene like i once did because all i am doing is things for the site in my free time. Can't tell you last time i was able to actually enjoy the scene. Always playing catch up here with my free time and just been very unmotivating . . That why its a huge problem for the site to rely on me so much for the flow of things. . I get busy and have an outside life, i can do alot but i can not do it all 365 days a year with no regular help (members just posting simple links helps). . Simply its not fair to me,. As its not like we are running this ship for max profits or any profit/ even paying site expenses for that matter.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Death_Dealer likes this.
  8. 1,840
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Yeah, you do too much as it is, we should all help out more. I will do my best to help out where I can. My writing is brutal though, but still, I am sure I can get a couple of posts together. ;)

STLcardsWS and kozarovv like this.
  9. 5,051
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    STLcardsWS and DeViL303 like this.
  10. 5,923
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

DeViL303 and kozarovv like this.
  11. 775
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Wasnt so much meant as a comparison there @STLcardsWS , it was more of just that i used them as a reference or base for how they have dedicated news writers that contibute almost daily for the site and that would be nice to have for here so its not all on you lkke its been. Thats all i meant by that

STLcardsWS likes this.
  12. 759
    Berion

Berion Developer

Thanks.

I can give You ODT and PDF files. But You know, it is not an easy task, Google translate making Hiroshima with Slavic language family. ;)

I cannot send You private message:
    Code:
    You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: nCadeRegal

13. 775
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

try now

14. 52
    thehero_

thehero_ Member

Home Page:
    I hope to help as much as possible psx-place, I really like your forum :)
    @kozarovv I can not answer on PS2 Homebrew Apps .I can translate anything in Italian :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    STLcardsWS, DeViL303 and kozarovv like this.
  15. 5,923
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

This kind of makes my point in a post earlier in the week (Can't compare psx-place to some others). So i will leave this here

This is what i dislike about the scene and reasons I am so vocal on how other scene sites operate. Which i know some will like that i speak up and some may not like it, some will feel is unnecessary drama, but i think staying quiet on something does not make it better for the long run, but just sets it up to happen again. But this situation really annoys me and its really over the line IMO and something needs to be said.

Some of you know about the recent 2k Humble Bundle they promote charities with. A great thing for gamer's to give back to various charities with events they run and we have posted such as this one:
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/playstation-humble-bundle-for-na-psn-users.14586/

Now there is a popular scene site ( wololo.net ) that i feel is pushing the boundaries once again, They made everyone aware of the bundle also, but their link is a bit different. Its an affiliate link, which is not a bad thing if they want to use it, but they are doing several things wrong by not following the Guidelines presented by Humble Bumble ( https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/223517768 ). They are not being transparent by stating they are using an affiliate link and getting a cut as humble outlines in that page linked. The tweets and promotions are saying support charity, but in reality Wololo.net will get more funds by default then the charity (a user can find the spoiler and change the amounts pics below.

So he says "support charity" but he means support wololo.net a bit more and the actually charity a bit less. While Humble does give the person the choice to allocate the funds as they see fit, but its not exactly shown in plain view.
    Sketch3.png

"Support Charity ." Wololo claims.

Sketch2.png

If you do not click the Spoiler at bottom then below is how a $20 example would work, Same % by default (for lower or higher paid amounts)

Sketch.png

The Charity Covenant House (which is what this whole thing is surrounded by, now gets the small amount by default) while wololo gets more for doing nothing. Yet misleading people of that supporting charity is the goal .. Nothing wrong if he does this affiliate program, its there and he took advantage of it, but he was not TRANSPARENT as one should be but even the guidelines suggest he should.

https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/223517768

• Display the Humble Partner Logo in the info panel or video when promoting a bundle. (He did not do this)
    • Mention the promotion (did not mention the promo)
    • We'd like the relationship to be transparent to viewers and customers, so we ask that Humble Partners mention that using the link supports them directly at least once . (They failed to do so, but yet re-assured you, your supporting charity)
    • Please follow all requirements of the FTC and other authorities that regulate these kinds of commercial relationships and disclosures

They are using a charity to make money !!! They are trying to show you its all for charity but as said links like this one:
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/playstation-humble-bundle-for-na-psn-users.14586/

Where the official non-affiliated link was used. the Charities would stand to make more, right.. . However if a person had clicked on wololo affiliate link before clicking the the non-affiliated links , it will send you to his affiliate page (even though you did not click his link that time). Clearing of browser data would more then likely fix that, but many i am sure would of been unaware and some may of been unaware they gave wololo a donation/using an affilate link.

Simply its bad ethics, Taking part in the affiliation is not the issue, but how they are promoting it. is 100% of the issue. They are leaving out facts about where your money goes and they are the beneficiaries . Also the way humble has this affiliate setup is very bad as well, not all blame on wololo but they are surely taking advantage of it. . The affiliate portion needs to be a fixed amount and much smaller then the charity it self. (that is a humble fumble there).

@nCadeRegal this is what i mean when i say you can't compare us with some of the other sites out there. Some sites do not even ask for money or donations or put up ads, Then some places will even cheat a charity...

Edit:
    wololo said the following on twitter as well:
    Sketch5.png

Just checked and still no change on the mainpage (16 hours later after the tweet (simple text should not be hard)) ..

Sketch4.png

Do a normal donation Request @Wololo , not add something where game value is there for charity its present to help the charity not wololo.net and your clearly taking advantage of that while claiming your supporting charities and not being transparent as the guidelines require

P.S.

Also one can not cashout any money from humble until a $250 is acquired, Link on mainpage and pinned tweet makes a bit more sense with aggressive promotion of the event :) . If it was about the charity they would of just used a non-affiliated link, so there was not another hand in there to take less from the more deserving parties

What do Humble Partners receive?

Not suggesting Wololo is scamming butin a way i am, its about as close as you can come in my view. He is not making anyone spend more or less, but he is promoting it on the back of supporting charity and not himself.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017 at 1:42 PM