Question about splitting iso files.

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Schizobunny, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 13
    Schizobunny

Schizobunny New Member

Is it possible to split a iso game and put each piece on individually on at a time? Will it recompile or am I having a bad day. Any advice would be appreciated, I’ve been trying desperately setting everything up. On no sleep

2. 1,754
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Hmmm, try to explain better what you need to do, is hard to understand (at least for me)

Schizobunny likes this.
  3. 3,843
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Home Page:
    If you are on CFW you can use FTP or external NTFS HDD to put an ISO onto your PS3 without splitting. If you are on HAN then you can convert to pkg and split the pkg into 4GB chunks if you really need to and it doesn't have any single file over 4GB. Another way that will work on HAN or CFW is to use PKG Linker 2.0 to share the pkg to your ps3 without splitting, if it works for you .

http://www.psx-place.com/resources/pkg-linker-2-0-serve-packages-to-your-ps3-han-cfw.640/

Schizobunny likes this.
  4. 13
    Schizobunny

Schizobunny New Member

It’s fine I’m doing pkg now but thanks aye

5. 13
    Schizobunny

Schizobunny New Member

Well I was talking about splitting a iso into individual parts and transferring them separately by usb onto my ps3.

6. 13
    Schizobunny

Schizobunny New Member

Could you explain to me to what Ntfs is? Is it a format which enables iso transferring and when it comes to pkg linked. This only allows the transfer of packages right not iso?

7. 3,843
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Home Page:
    NTFS is a type of formatting for HDD that allows large files over 4GB. FAT32 is an older type of formatting that does not allow files over 4GB, both have nothing to do with PKG linker.

If you are on CFW you can just use FTP or run your games off an external drive.

What exactly are you trying to do? why do you want to "put each piece on individually on at a time"?

Schizobunny likes this.
  8. 6,963
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

A hard drive partition can be formatted in a number of ways.
    FAT, FAT32, exFAT, EXT2/EXT3, NTFS, UFS etc..
    Each OS type uses a particular format internally & usually supports more formats natively.
    For instance, recent Windows use NTFS by default but support all types of FAT formats. Linux will use ext2/3 format internally but it can also read other formats natively at the condition that the proper modules are loaded into the kernel.
    The ps3 uses UFS for its main internal drive but also relies on other system partitions in FAT32. Unfortunately it does not support ntfs natively so only homebrew relying on a customised ntfs library can access ntfs partitions, the system itself cannot.

The reason for using ntfs with backup managers is the file size limit problem on FAT32 ie 4Gb. Files can never be bigger than 4Gb, while that was OK 2 decades ago when files & hdd were small, it's an annoying limitation nowadays. Most games are bigger than 4Gb so using fat32 to store your iso games implies having to split them in 4Gb chunks & having to mount them using a back-up manager supporting split iso.

All backup managers on ps3 will allow you to mount iso games located on an external ntfs drive. Some backup managers will also allow you to use their file manager with ntfs so you can transfer files easily.
    I suggest using Irisman's File Manager if you want to manage content using ntfs.

On Cobra CFW, using an external hdd in ntfs to store iso games is usually the recommended way. All backup managers will be able to list & mount them.

Schizobunny likes this.
  9. 13
    Schizobunny

Schizobunny New Member

Ahh thanks for the detailed answer

10. 13
    Schizobunny

Schizobunny New Member

GTA V. And my usb drive is only 8 gigs. I tried filza or whatever. But I woke up with a error that the transfer cut. So I figured there were better ways.

11. 3,843
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Home Page:
    Get a bigger drive I suppose. FTP should work, maybe not on wifi. If you are using a wired network already, try using Rebug Toolbox for a FTP server. You could also try the pkg linker method, but you still need a stable decent network for that.

Schizobunny likes this.
  12. 6,963
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

Since HAN came out, there seems to be much confusion as to how to use games on a CFW.
    The pkg files used for HAN are not the recommended way to install a game on CFW. It can be done of course but it has a number of disadvantages. It clogs up your internal hdd with all the game files for starters, not all Bluray games are compatible & when they are, you need to go through the conversion process, which is not always straightforward depending on the game.

On CFW, you can run any game without conversion, file dumping, resigning or whatever. All you need is a an iso image of the Bluray, that's it. The iso images can be stored on the internal drive or on an external USB hdd. They get mounted via a backup manager.
    It's also possible to use the JB folder legacy format which is basically a copy of the contents of the Bluray into a folder.
    PSN games as pkg files can also be installed on CFW, all you need is to copy your license file into the home folder, something that brews like psnpatch do very well. No need for HAN resigning etc..

Regarding FTP, it's great to copy small files but many Gb worth of data can be a pain. Note that some ps3 ftp servers are more reliable than others too & that the quality of your ps3 network connection is crucial.
    Of course if you only have a 8Gb usb device, it's not ideal but it's usually better to copy files from an external drive rather than ftp.
    Additionally, if you use ISO games, I recommend you consider not to copy games to the internal hdd but rather to buy a hdd that you will dedicate to ps3 game storage.

Obviously you have many options available to you on CFW, you need to determine which is best for your needs.